Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #1  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Default OK, I think I need some syrup!

Does anyone out there do a healthy breakfast that includes syrup? I eat oatmeal just about every day, and love it, don't mind it at all. Here's the glitch....DD likes chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, and a couple days a week I'll make them for her (she only eats like 3 of the itty bitty dollar sized cakes) and I've learned how to make just enough for her, no extras. No problem! Last night, however, DS came home from the store with a box of Eggo waffles. I toasted two of them up for him for breakfast this morning, and now that's all I've been thinking of for the last 4 hours! EEEK! We've always done the lite syrup, but I still can't convince myself that it would be ok for me to have some. Do you do any breakfasts that you consider healthy that include syrup? 2 eggo waffles with lite syrup would be 5 WW points, so not totally out of the ballpark, and I'm sure the lowfat ones would be a little less, but my brain keeps screaming NOOOOOOOO! So, help me if you have any advice!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #2  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Exclamation Okay, Kelly, take a deep breath and step away from the waffles!

Seriously, it probably wouldn't be the worst choice but it is not the best either. Both the waffles and syrup are heavily processed and it is not the best fuel for your body. It won't satisfy you like oatmeal or protein. I handle these types of things by telling myself that these are a treat for the kids but they are not in my plan. I know they would be a "gateway" to worse choices so I say stay away. Come on you can do it!
Kathy
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I make homemade pancakes with whole wheat flour , skim milk.brown sugar and eggs(coul probably use egg beaters) 1 comes in at about 86 cals. I eat 2 with 1/4 cup with lite syrup
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #4  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I myself had waffles this mornings. The kashi one's aren't that bad for you (160 calories for 2, but one is usually enough for me) and real maple syrup (200 calories for 1/4 a cup, but a little bit goes a *long* way).
While it may not be the greatest choice, it's a nice change every once and while.
And the way I figure it, if I'm really going to live this change I'm going to eat a waffle every once and a while and that's okay.
The way I figure it, while my breakfast this morning was 370 calories that keeps me from bingeing later when my cravings might get the better of me and throw my whole day off track.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I am with Casey on this one. IF I eat something sweet like that, it opens the door for more.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

How about making a piece of french toast with whole grain bread, egg white, cinnamon and vanilla. Then you'll only need the tiniest amount of syrup because you won't want to drown out the cinnamon and vanilla. You'll have a little bit of protein from the egg. And you'll get to satisfy the syrup need. Don't know if it works for you but if I had the "hankerin" that you have, that's the option I would take.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #7  

I use a bit of syrup or honey on my oatmeal occasionally. I find the opposite from some of you, if i have a bit of sugar, it sates my appetite for anymore, but if I avoid it entirely, then I end up having a binge session.

If you do decide to have syrup, measure measure measure!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #8  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingServo View Post
I myself had waffles this mornings. The kashi one's aren't that bad for you (160 calories for 2, but one is usually enough for me) and real maple syrup (200 calories for 1/4 a cup, but a little bit goes a *long* way).
While it may not be the greatest choice, it's a nice change every once and while.
And the way I figure it, if I'm really going to live this change I'm going to eat a waffle every once and a while and that's okay.
The way I figure it, while my breakfast this morning was 370 calories that keeps me from bingeing later when my cravings might get the better of me and throw my whole day off track.
That's exactly how I feel. I cannot ever NOT have another waffle (or anything else that I like) for the rest of my life. It would eventually frustrate me and lead me back to where I started.

If you can handle a "not so wise" choice every now and then, I say go for it. If you think one waffle breakfast will lead to a month of waffle breakfasts and everything else that's bad, I wouldn't do it.

I would add some type of protein to your waffle breakfast though (egg whites maybe?), to minimize the impact of the processed carbs.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #9  

I have no sense of portion control with syrup...drown those pancakes, french toast or whatever, so I only eat them once a very long while. Sad thing is, whenver I do eat that type of breakfast, I'm hungry an hour later. I need protein in the morning, not a bunch of sugar.

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Same here Suz - I do much better leaving it alone. One thing I do love though is whole wheat pancakes with natural peanut butter - then roll it up! I get a pancake AND some protein!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #11  

I'm a french toasty here too. WW whole wheat breat dipped in egg beaters with cinnamon and vanilla. I bought the sugar free syurp. I don't have it often but when I do want it it's nice to knowI can have it healthier. And it's really good too.(lol)
penor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Maybe I'm the lucky one in that I don't like syrup. I do like waffles, pancakes and french toast though. DH took me out to eat pancakes the other day. I ordered buckwheat pancakes, ate half my order, no syrup.

Eggo waffles definitely aren't the top choice so I'm not sure what advice I'd give to you.

Yesterday, I made pumpkin/cottage cheese/oatmeal pancakes. They are pretty good. I actually got tired of cooking them on the stove so I put the rest of the batter in a cast iron skillet and cooked them in the oven.

It is a simple recipe for cottage cheese pancakes.

2-3 eggs (or equivalent egg whites)
1 cup of cottage cheese (I use 1%)
1 cup of oatmeal (rolled oats)
1 tsp of vanilla
dash of cinnamon

Put the ingredients in the blender in the order they appear, blend it up, cook it up and eat.

You can add various things to make it a bit different. Blueberries, Banana, Pumpkin puree, etc

If you have a waffle maker, you can also use it to make waffles although I've never tried it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #13  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I will put in a vote for the Kashi waffles. They have a decent amount of protein and fiber. However, I do have to stay away from the syrup. I tried one of the sugar free ones and didn't like it much. Instead I top it with some fruit, and if I am feeling really decadent, just a bit of ff whipped cream.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

While I don't eat waffles, I do eat "fried" polenta with 1/2 Tbl. of real maple syrup. I always measure the syrup. The polenta accompanies scrambled eggs (1 egg + 2 egg whites). I eat some protein at every meal.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I use a recipe similar to Nelie's. I got it from Ilene on this board.

1/3 c. lowfat cottage cheese
1/3 c. egg whites
1/3 c. oatmeal
dash of splenda
dash of vanilla

Blend it together. Cook like any other pancakes. It makes 3 pancakes with only 190 calories. Simmer sugar free syrup with some berries to top it with. It's wonderful, I like it much better than regular pancakes now and I loved them too. I like the sugar free syrup better this way than by itself. 22 grams of very low fat protein and it keeps me full for a long time.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote