Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/254/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Is anybody else out there????

I have to say this is the first time I've longed into any kind of website. I'm pretty much computer illiterate. So I'll apologize in advance if I stumble.
Lately I've been feeling like I'm the only one who's miserable with how I look. Though the logical part of my brain knows better the emotional side seems to be in control. I've spend too many years "trying" to drop those few extra pounds but I'd drop them and then gain more, and more and more. Now I'm feeling discouraged that I'll never drop it and keep it off. I stood on the scale yesterday to face the cold hard truth with how much I weigh, and now I really feel like I can't lose it. So right now when I should be getting off the couch and start moving, I'm feeling sorry for myself and eating chips. I have so much to lose I don't know where to start, but I have to. I'm still healthy and I know if I don't get this weight off now, very soon I'm going to have health problems related to my weight. I want to feel better, and look better. I just don't know if I have to energy to start, because I need to drop over 100 lbs and it just seems enormous to me.
Swamped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Hey Swamped! Trust me, I know how you feel! (As do a lot of the other members on this site!) I struggle with the mirror and the scale every day. It is very scary to face a life of health and image problems. I have 101 lbs to lose as of today. Sometimes I feel like its the world against me, but its not. I'M AGAINST ME!! The way I am is the way I made myself and there's not a person in the world that can fix it for me! I bet you feel the same way. Here's my top motivators:

1. Once a week, I make a list of things that will change for the better as I lose weight. They change from week to week, but are all important. Here's an example:

a. Lower blood pressure
b. Lower risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc.
c. Feel more positive about myself and therefore the world I'm in
d. Look sexy in a pair of shorts and a tank top

2. Find a group on this site that fits your needs. Whether it be a certain way of eating you're trying, exercise you like to do, or even total weight loss goal. Most groups will let you jump right in and lend you priceless encouragement, support and tips.

3. Check out the goal photo albums here. These people are amazing, but what's even better is that they were "us" before they lost their weight!

4. Find a support system. This is harder than chatting anonymously online, but it can be a Godsend! (In all honesty, this should probably be #1.)

Anyways, good luck on your journey and I hope to see you around on the boards.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 AM   #3  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Hi Swamped, first... and then

STEP AWAY FROM THE CHIPS!!!

I can sure identify! Haagen Daz ice cream was my "drug of choice". You've come to the right place...we've ALL been there. You'll find a lot of support and even advice if that's what you want...or a kick in the pants...

Everybody has to find what works for them. We're all different here, but we share and get ideas, laugh and cry together. Don't worry about the computer skills, no one's going to say anything unless you ask...at least i've never seen them "say" anything!

Don't think about the 100 pounds, make little goals for yourself and then set some kind of reward. I made a pretty big one at first, 60 pounds, just to get to the 250 mark, but a lot of people do 10 pounds at a time or a certain number of minutes for exercise. I bought myself a new set of cookware for the first one, my next is another 40 pounds which will put me right at 100 lost. That one will probably be new clothes. Then I still have another 50 or so after that...a new car maybe??? So don't think you're the only one.

I don't think about the weight so much any more, but how i'm feeling. My knees don't ache like they used to, I can walk up and down the stairs now like a "normal" person. I don't wake up in pain any more, walking is no big deal. Oh yeah...AND I don't have to worry if i fit into public chairs/seats any more!

It does get easier. Just make sure that what ever you do, you can do it for the rest of your life. We learn pretty fast here that you can't expect to alter your eating for a while and then go back to what you were doing. The weight will always come back...that's how we got here in the first place. We don't need to be perfect, just take the little steps that will make you healthier.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #4  
missaprylj

Kim & Karen have it pretty much covered, I think....

but I just wanted to say "YES!! THERE ARE HUNDREDS of us OUT HERE!" and we're all in this together, so stick around and see how much good little changes can do for you.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #5  

and the more you paticipate and get into this the more you thoughts will change. About everything. Focus on the day to day and making small changes. In a short time you will suprise yourself .
It's so great that you are doing this for you, as we challenge ourselves we learn about ourselves .
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Have you ever seen the movie "What about Bob ?" - very funny - with a very good lesson for all of us. BABY STEPS!! Make a one month goal today. What are you going to change today and focus on for this month? Try to make them positive goals to start. ie. go for a 10 min walk daily ... or eat min 5 fruits/veggies daily. Don't say what you can't do.. that's only half a plan... say what you CAN do!

Who cares how long it takes to lose the weight.. only 1 lb a week.. that's okay! If I told you by the end of 2007 you could be 40 lbs lighter you would jump up and down....

Good Luck... you are so lucky already - why? you have found the best place in the world to lose weight (and it's free too - what a bonus!)
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #7  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Swamped!!!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #8  

Default I agree!!!

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I feel connected already! I feel the same as all of you! Thank you for being there!
flksue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205.5/158.50/132

Height: 5'7"

One shovel full at a time....it doesn't really matter if you have a mountain or a mole hill it's all done the same way. Dig in there! I like to look at it as 10 pounds. Does 10 pounds sound like too much to do? I only want to lost 10 pounds today. Then when you reach that goal set a new one. And get ready for this. It isn't easy. Nothing worth having usually is. So go to store (not when you're hungry) have a list of all of the healthy foods you enjoy or would like to try. And take them home and clean/cut prepare them. Put them in some attractive storage containers in the fridge. Make sure you have nothing UNhealthy staring at you in there. Throw those chips away...or pour some vinegar all over them...deSTROY them..haha. No just get started! You CAN do this. I know you WANT to.

Tina
onmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205.5/158.50/132

Height: 5'7"

One shovel full at a time....it doesn't really matter if you have a mountain or a mole hill it's all done the same way. Dig in there! I like to look at it as 10 pounds. Does 10 pounds sound like too much to do? I only want to lost 10 pounds today. Then when you reach that goal set a new one. And get ready for this. It isn't easy. Nothing worth having usually is. So go to store (not when you're hungry) have a list of all of the healthy foods you enjoy or would like to try. And take them home and clean/cut prepare them. Put them in some attractive storage containers in the fridge. Make sure you have nothing UNhealthy staring at you in there. Throw those chips away...or pour some vinegar all over them...deSTROY them..haha. No just get started! You CAN do this. I know you WANT to.

Tina
onmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Default Welcome to all!

Swamped: You are so not alone. I'm with you in a couple of areas. Not great at computers (although I'm getting good at posting here!!), and I also hate the way I look. The good thing is that we all have similar issues. Start reading and posting and you will get the support you need. One step at a time. I'm still trying to break into the 270's. That's my mini goal. If I think about the entire goal, I go a little crazy.

Also welcome to Karen! Glad you posted. I agree that this is a great place to be!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #12  
NowTheWorld

S/C/G: 220/220/135

Height: 5'5

Hey there
This is my first day signed up, and Ive only read like 5 posts by other people and I cant belive how inspired I am. I think this is going to be a great experience and I cant wait to hear what everyone has to say
NowTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #13  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Welcome and please try not to worry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamped View Post
So right now when I should be getting off the couch and start moving, I'm feeling sorry for myself and eating chips. I have so much to lose I don't know where to start
If it's any consolation, I sat on the couch eating chips for a few weeks while I lurked on 3FC and read up on weight loss. Even though the anxious part of you is pressuring you and making you feel like a failure if you don't do something NOW! THIS SECOND! remember YOU are the one in charge. You wouldn't spontaneously pack up and move to Tunisia without some planning, would you? You'd already have a reason, sure (like reasons to lose weight) but you'd need to find a place to live, learn about the culture, learn language basics, schedule a flight, ad infinitum.

Read the forums, think about how might want to go about losing your hundred pounds. Think about plans and what YOU might like to eat (shameless plug for whole foods and superfoods and calorie-counting!). Think about how you might like to exercise. Let it all stew. Soon enough will come the day when you're like, "I'm sick of reading about this now! I've decided on some changes that I think will work for me, and now I feel ready to try them out." Once you're ready, you'll know!
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #14  
Losin' it forever!

Hi Swamped and Now the World! Welcome! This is a great place and the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. Though even without participating in threads and just reading you find out tons of information as far as food, exercise, problems that crop up, etc.

I have one hundred and thirty-something pounds to lose, so I can totally empathize with feeling overwhelmed. BUT, overwhelmed don't get the job done! We all have to start somewhere and some start with smaller steps than others, but as long as you start, you are not wrong!

I spent two months just changing the way I eat (and am still tweaking a lot of things thanks to advice here!) with no exercise. I figured out substitute snacks and I also did some work on what triggered me to eat when I wasn't hungry. I lost about eight pounds just changing my eating alone and once I saw some pounds coming off, I was inspired to go exercise! So, I've been back at Curves now for five weeks and am doing great! I feel fabulous, despite how long of a way I still have to go!

I think you will find this site very helpful and you will definately find that you are not alone!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #15  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
You wouldn't spontaneously pack up and move to Tunisia without some planning, would you?
I love this analogy!

About hating the way you look, I think this is actually the norm rather than the exception in our culture. How else would they be able to sell so much makeup, skin creams, plastic surgery, etc. if people were happy with themselves? I'm not saying you should be happy about being overweight, but you are definitely not alone.

Smaller goals are a great way to go. Start with 10 pounds and see how that goes. Just 10 pounds can make a huge difference in how you feel.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote