Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Anyone hate cardio?

I have built up to 30 mins elliptical or 30 mins stair master but I hate doing it!!! I have a mp3 player and will take a book to read while Im on the stair master which will help me get through it but I cant read on the elliptical due to bouncing so much. Any one else hate cardio? Ideas on how to get through it?? I try to do classes at least 2-3 times a week so that will help with my cardio but lately I have to rush to the gym to work out 30 mins before rushing back to get my daughter from daycare cuz my dh is working late, so I dont have time for classes right now.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I also am not a fan of cardio, but after a year of consistently going to the gym, I'm at a point where I can at least tolerate it (I do 30 minutes at a time as well). I read books as a way to distract myself from how much I hate what I'm doing to my body. I still get people coming up to me at the gym saying, "I can't believe you read real books." I can't help thinking: as opposed to the fake ones? (I know what they mean, of course)

Anyway, you can adjust to the bouncing; I still sometimes read the same line a couple times, but it's not a huge deal. I love to read (it's been one of my post-college goals to do more fun reading) and going to the gym for cardio provides me with about 5 hours of reading per week. Not all my reading has been at the gym, but in the past year and a half, I've read 24 novels. I find it's easiest to read on a stationary bike; no bouncing there.

Aside from that, I've seen other people listen to music, "read" magazines, and my gym has television sets and you can plug your own headphones into your machine to listen to the tv. I also have a few workout dvds. Maybe you could get some so you can work out at home and still keep an eye on your daughter; maybe a video similar to one of your classes?

Whatever you do, if you're at all like me, cardio will never seem pleasant, but the most important thing is that you just keep up with it. It's definitely worth it when you see the results. And Wow! I just looked at your ticker and you've made incredible progress already! That's something to definitely be proud of. If you've made it this far, I'm sure you'll figure out a way to make working out tolerable enough to meet your goals. Best of luck to you!
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #3  

WHen I absolutely have to read something on the elliptical I will take a large magazine like a tabloid so its easier to read. I have workout videos at home but my DD is 3 and thinks its ok to sit in my lap while Im working out or lay on me.

THanks for the input, I really just started exercising a few months ago with a weight loss contest I'm in. We have the tv's at the gym but you cant hear them only read the captions.

Do your feet go to sleep after awhile on the elliptical?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #4  
In Search of Collarbones

S/C/G: 171/154/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara1980 View Post
Do your feet go to sleep after awhile on the elliptical?
Mine used to do that. Wiggle your toes every now and again, and every few minutes kinda pick your feet up and put them back down on the foot things. Don't wait till they get that sleepy feeling either- start right away and then you will be much better off.
futurepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #5  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Here's another suggestion for those of you who love to read...try audio books. They took a little getting used to for me, since I have always loved to read and find listening to books a bit odd, but now I love them. No worries about reading the same line twice or the bouncing. And if you have to, you can just rewind a bit if you missed something.

You can buy them but I've always found something for free through the public library (rent the CD's, copy them to your computer and download to your MP3/Ipod) or the same sites that offer free music, often have books if you look around.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #6  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

The classes are the only thing I can tolerate at this point unless I have a clean plan with my own workout. I just find the classes far more motivating and encouraging. I do them all to keep myself from getting bored. Maybe in the nicer weather you might like to try things outside like running with music? It beats the gym and its nice to be going somewhere rather than running on the treadmill I think.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I hate cardio. Period. I hate that it's boring, I hate that it's not fun, I hate that it makes me breath hard, and I HATE sweating.

Then again, I hate being flabby, I hate sweating more than others even when I'm not working out, I hate that roll of fat that hangs over the top of my pants, and I HATE being obese. And so, I try to do my cardio anyway.

I don't have any exercise equipment in my home, nor am I willing to pay for a gym membership. I just do workout DVDs in my living room. Without having to travel to do my exercise, it seems to take less time, if that makes sense. I also don't have to worry about how I look or how much I sweat or anything like that since no one will see me.

One thing my sister does on her treadmill at home is watches DVDs--particularly tv show seasons on DVD. She knows an episode of Gilmore Girls on DVD is about 43 minutes long, so if she works out through an entire episode, she's gotten in her cardio for the day plus watched something she would have otherwise watched anyway while sitting on the couch. I can't wait to move into a bigger place so I can hopefully get an elliptical for home and be able to watch tv while doing it--I really think it would help. It would be more like I'm exercising while watching my shows, not the other way around, ya know? Like I'd watch them anyway, just would have been sitting on my big butt on the couch. It's like a more efficient means of fitting everything you want to do into your schedule by overlapping your exercise with your tv time. But enough babbling--I'm sure that doesn't help at all if you don't have exercise equipment at home
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #8  

If I had the room I would love to have an elliptical in my home for that very same reason. Currently I try to multitask like folding/putting up laundry while watching tv. I watch a movie every night so Im already laying down for 2 hours to watch it. My house is only 1000 SF but hopefully when we turn the carport into another room I will be able to do something like that.

I guess I could get rid of my couch and make some room, but then again we really need another dining room table. We have got to stop eating in front of the TV at nite.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #9  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I don't mind cardio as long as the routine is varied enough (though I will do the occasional jog, in tune to my fast-paced & highly-varied playlist on the MP3 player). And as much as I hate the sweating & heavy breathing & the dehydration, I keep reminding myself that I'm burning butter off my body!
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

I also hate it. I try to go when something is on TV, and since I go at night there's usually something... I love Forensic Files, it's always on! I reason that I'd be collapsed on the couch watching tv anyway, I might as well do it while I do something decent. Then I listen to music at the commercials. Switching it up like that seems to make it go a *little* faster. And sometimes if I'm really dragging I'll change machines every 20 minutes so it doesn't seem so dooming.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/234/160

Height: 5'11"

I used to hate cardio too...I guess I just had to suck it up and do it - hence getting used to it.

I cant get through a workout without music - so thats my best advice for it. Get a playlist you love and hit "shuffle" and be sure to add to it periodically so you dont get bored with the music too!

And KEEP GOING!
msnewbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #12  
hara hachi bu

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I hate cardio. Period. I hate that it's boring, I hate that it's not fun, I hate that it makes me breath hard, and I HATE sweating.

Then again, I hate being flabby, I hate sweating more than others even when I'm not working out, I hate that roll of fat that hangs over the top of my pants, and I HATE being obese. And so, I try to do my cardio anyway.
Jilly, I read your first paragraph and thought YEAH, ME TOO! Then your second paragraph made me realize that I hate those things too and I need to exercise as well.

I also refuse to spend a lot of money on exercise equipment or gym memberships. Maybe someday when my non-gym exercise isn't providing enough of a challenge, I might consider stepping it up and going to a gym or something.

I got a (free) exercise bike that sits in my living room and holds clothes that need to be ironed. I suppose I should hop on it every day for a half hour. It really wouldn't kill me.

I wonder if people ever learn to like cardio?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #13  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

I used to hate cardio. I am up to about 35 minutes on the elliptical but when I first started a month ago, I couldn't go 5 minutes without feeling like I was about to die. BUT I love the feeling I get from the intense workout and that I am losing weight!

I have an ipod and have a playlist for my workout, but I would really like it if my gym had a TV that I could watch. The hardest part, for me, is not watching the time. If I constantly watch the time, it seems like it takes forever. I have gone as far as taking a magazine each time and covering up the time on the elliptical machine.

I have been considering getting one of those ipods that you can watch movies or TV shows on... I think that would help pass the time immensly.
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 139/137/120

Height: 5'4"

I actually love cardio, because I love how my body feels during and after I work out.

My favorite cardio is on the treadmill, and I usually watch Headline News during my cardio so I learn something about the world while I'm being good to my body.

I also like cardio DVDs, though I'm usually contemplating quitting about halfway through. I've only actually quit once though!

My best advice would be to try many forms of cardio and many different devices to pass the time -- television, magazines, music, etc. You'll find something that works.

On the other hand, I HATE eating well.
poppins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppins3 View Post
On the other hand, I HATE eating well.

LOL, I wish we lived in a reverse world where all ice cream, chocolate, cookies, pizza, etc was good for us and everything that is healthy would be bad for our bodies. Of course if that happened we would all be sneaking carrot sticks and hiding the apples/bannanas/grapes in our closets and binging on them. What a thought!