Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Default Running/Walking outside?

Does anyone run/walk/jog outdoors as opposed to on a treadmill at a gym or your home? I've walked at home but I think I might reap more benefits if I walked outdoors in the fresh air. I was thinking of walking out at 6 in the morning, as that's the only time I'd be able to workout in peace.

Does anyone else walk/run outdoors that early? I guess I feel a little worried. Do you see other walkers out there that early as well? I live in San Antonio, Texas. I'm just a little paranoid, I guess.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 149/149/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi there, new here too. I am not a morning person, so six am is not something I am too familiar with, but I like to walk in the evenings here or after dark. Haven't done too much of it lately because of the weather, but I do love my nightly walks when it's warmer...and it's getting warmer here all the time. Anywho, I'm rambling, and you asked a question. My husband is one of those people like you who get up early...lol...and he see's joggers and walkers out at 5:30 in the morning on his way to work quite often...even in the cold. Good luck, Ciao
CiaoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #3  

CiaoGirl, I'm too scared to walk at night. Otherwise, I'd love to walk at night as well. Thanks for replying.

My reason for asking that question is that I've grown up in a country like Pakistan, where my family wouldn't let me step out of the house - and for good reason. It just wasn't a safe place for girls to go out alone. I know it's considerably safer here but I can't get out of that mentality, you know?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:33 AM   #4  
I'm on my *weigh*

S/C/G: 243/238/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't have a treadmill. So yeap, I do all my walking outside. I would love to get up and walk early like that. BUt goodness I cant drag myself out of bed that early. I have been getting up and heading out to walk by 8 a.m. of course by then my daughter is up and she goes with me. She usually rides her bike though. She tried to walk this last time but after the first mile was already tired so it's much better for me for her tp stick to the bike.

Do you go to a track or just walk on the road?

I usually stick with the road.
Homemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #5  

Starla, I'm planning to walk to a park that's 5 minutes of walking distance away.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I do both - I run at the gym and outdoors.

I go for a run most mornings around 6:30am and then most evenings after I finish work about 5:30 (or a spin class etc)

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #7  

I run outdoors.

Where I live, yes you'd see other people out early. But that doesn't mean that that's how it works where you are. I think your best bet is to try, and if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, bail immediately.

FWIW, I wouldn't walk in a park before it's light out. After dark right after work, yes, but not before day.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:09 AM   #8  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I work nights and am driving home during that time. I pass four parks and all of them have people walking and running early in the morning while it's still dark. I agree with mariamaria try it and if you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, bail. Do you have someone that can go with you for the first time, or each time? I think everything's less scary with someone else.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #9  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I walk from 6-7 almost every morning. I live in a very small town and have a walking buddy. In the summer there are other people out but we've been the only ones during the winter. We usually have a cell phone and pepper spray with us just in case. We've never had to use it. One morning we both felt "odd" at a certain point and turned around early. Listen to your gut and do what you're comfortable with.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #10  

Thanks for the replies

Right now its 7 am (been up since 6) and no sunrise yet. Gonna wait till then.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I DID walk in the a.m., but I have trouble with mornings. But I was walking at 5:30. I was out in the country so I didn't see anyone else, but because of the hour and how dark it was, that did tend to creep me out a bit. If you're in a more populated area, you're bound to see others out at 6 a.m. Just stick to the more populated areas to be safe.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

One option is to drive around at that time and see what's going on, who's out at that hour.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

i walk to work every morning, some mornings as ealy as 4:45 and i rarely see anyone at that hour, but sometimes i see people at 5:45 and even more at 6:45, but i live in a small town so there aren't that many people out ever. but i do carry my cell and pepper spray everytime i walk alone in the dark.
Lee Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I run in the morning 6 am now, but it will be 5:30 soon, its still before dark up here in the north. HATE treadmills will do almost anyting to avoid them.

I see other runners and walkers often

I do stick to the neighborhoods not parks until it gets light. Even if there arent other walkers there is enough random going to work traffic that it feels pretty low risk to me. Plus I am always afraid I'll trip in the park, the path isnt very smooth or well lit.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #15  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I run outside as much as I can. I tend to do most of my "dark" runs with other people (I'm a member of a running club), but last summer I was often out at 5.30 or 6am to get a run in before work. I'm still often out and about at that time of the day and see plenty of runners out there, even in the dark.

I do prefer it to the treadmill, for the variety if nothing else. But I stopped running in the park the day I realised there were no lights, it was the first day of the winter it was too dark to see anything and I got chased by a dog I couldn't see...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote