Old 03-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Default My Rant

*Sigh* I'm gonna sound like a whiny little brat but I need to get this out.

Where I work my boss is a such a nice guy. He's always bring cookies and candies to work, he and his wife (co-owners of the place I work at) bring in extra lunches from home to give us. And I always turn him down. His intentions are really good but I can't afford the extra calories in my diet

This other girl my age works for me and she eats everything they give her. Cookies, candies, sometimes my boss would give us coupons to Subway and she'd get that to eat, too. And it's so depressing because she's so incredibly skinny. She's about 5 feet tall and weighs less than a 100 lbs! She's not anorexic and has a pretty healthy appetite. But it sucks so much to know that some people can eat a ton without it showing on their body whereas other people like me start to gain weight merely looking at a cookie.

I don't have a thyroid problem, I checked that out earlier. And I know, I probably sound so whiny, complaining about stuff like that but I just can't help it. Are we destined to always eat little and exercise more? Honestly, I don't mind the eating little part. I've never had much of an appetite. But the little that I do eat, I have to make sure it's always something really healthy. I'm so afraid of indulging in my favorite stuff, even occasionally.

*Sigh* End of rant.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like you're doing really well saying no at the office -- I'm proud of you!!!

But I hear you. It can be hard sometimes.

It helps when I can frame it positively. "I'm not saying NO to the brownie, I'm saying YES to a fit and healthy me."
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yeah, it can be hard at times. I'm also just 5 feet tall and feel that any extra nibble will show up on me. But Wyllenn's got the right idea. Try to think of it as not what you're missing out on, but what you will be gaining. A healthier and happier and more active life, with more joy and less worries. And if you are eating little, well it really should be healthy, nutritous stuff. You and your body deserve the very best. Not some processed garbage.

Once you start to lose some pounds, you will really begin to see just how worth it it is. It's hard, but so very worthwhile. I wouldn't go back to my old life for anything. And it does get easier, much easier as you go on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Robin's right....it does get easier and quits feeling like you're eating so little. I've only been working on this since mid-January but already it used to be really hard to stay under my calorie limit...now I have a hard time getting up to my lower range! That feels good...because I know as I shrink, so will my calorie limits. I no longer worry about that. My appetite seems to be going down also. You will feel better....hang in there!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #5  

Thank you ladies, I really needed to read that. Looking at how hard you've all worked and how well it's payed off makes me want to shut my inner whiny self up and work hard. I agree, once I start seeing results on myself, I'll feel so much better about what I'm doing as well.

Thank you for the wonderful replies
Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

There's no better place than this Forum to whine, stomp your foot and crab.

It's a much safer and supportive place than Real Life.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #7  

This is horrible, but once a long, long time ago - I "was" your coworker, 5' 9", 145 pounds. I did eat all the stuff brought in to work, but that was all I ate all day and on weekends I probably ate one good meal all weekend. And, here I am today -- 100 pounds overweight -- I hate to say it, but it may all catch up to her and she'll be seeking diet advice from you!! I, for so long, felt deprived because why can "everyone else" eat the "good stuff" and be thin, but not me. You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself, your future and your self esteem to pass on the junk -- it will pay off in the end.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #8  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

I worked for a Dr... for a long time, wetrade the candy and awesome cakes...for a juicer.....it was fun and healthy, and till i was the one making it and Washing it out 2 X a day
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #9  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hope it's ok to post even though I'm not on this forum, but I saw Dawn2Dusk's post so I wanted to respond that - I think if you compare yourself to others, there are so many others out there to compare to. Granted, if there is someone you are working with closely they are the obvious comparison. But if you look around more, there are people who eat amazingly little, just as much as there are people who eat amazingly lots. It is so easy to compare ourselves with those who eat so much and so many high-fat high-cal foods, but we can just as easily compare ourselves to those who don't. For example I know one very large-frame guy who is struggling with his weight who does NOT eat much at all. And I know very petite gals who eat very little. So, we're not equal in everything. It helps me to think of the ones who are more like me and less like your co-worker. And hey, at least your boss is a nice guy!!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Envy is easy, because life often is unfairs, but it sometimes helps to remember that we rarely get the whole picture of other people's lives. I had an aunt who had an envy problem regarding financial things. She thought everyone had it better than she did (even those who had a lot less money, but were better at saving).

I had a roommate in college who was neither fat, not thin, and was neither the most, nor least active among four of us living together. But she was CONSTANTLY eating. She also chewed her food longer before swallowing than anyone else I ever knew, so I don't even know if she ate more calories than the rest of, though I would think she had to, because as I said, she was almost always eating something. We used to tease her about "chewing cud," because that's sort of what it was like. She was always slowly, and calmly chewing something (pizza, burritios, chips.... not salads by the way).

It was hard for me to see her eating like that, because I did feel like "hey, why can't I have a metabolism like that?" But that's not the genetic hand I was dealt (but she always griped to me, that I never seemed to have to study the way she did, as for most classes I really only had to read the chapters a couple times). I can't say that "it all balances out in the end," because I don't believe that. Some people seem to live completely "blessed" lives and others "can't seem to catch a break," but I think most of us are somewhere in the great big middle.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #11  

Well, I did cave today... *Sigh* But not at work. The grocery store. For some reason I had the biggest urge to have hot dogs. And I had six of them before I realized what I was doing. So then I threw the rest in the trash, sat down and thought about what I did. I think I went too easy on myself. I realized my diet was way too low in calories (like 500) which is why I went crazy by the end of the day. I should eat between 1000 and 1200. But I'm surprised at myself for taking it so easily. I should feel guilty but I'm not. I read Shelby's quote at the of her siggie and I agree with it so much. I had a bad little accident. But it doesn't mean I have to make it look like it's the end and I'll never lose the weight.

Now that I look at the hot dogs calorie count in my FitDay, I'm so disgusted. Nothing but pure fat. One would think there would be more protein in a meat product but no. I think that was the last hot dog I'm gonna have for a while. I went as high as about 1450 which isn't too bad, I guess, but still over my limit.

I dunno why. But I just realized that I go a bit crazy the day before my weigh-in. It's tomorrow. I checked today and I had lost 4 lbs. Lol. Let's see what the scale says tomorrow.

PS - I love this forum.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:57 AM   #12  

I do the same thing, if I'm way under too late in the day, I become a zombi -- just eating without realizing it and then it's over. Hot dogs -- my goodness -- couldn't you have "wasted calories" on something good -- like twinkes, etc. Day done -- tomorrow is a new, better day. Good luck at your weigh in!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #13  

The first time I read that quote I laughed pretty hard for a good five minutes. Lol.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:54 AM   #14  

hi. just out of curiousity... you said you checked your thyroid levels and you dont have a thyroid problem... what exactly did they look at in your blood tests? i just have been diagnosed with a thyroid problem "officially", but i know i have had it for years. i even have had it looked at before, at which point my tests came back "normal"... the problem is that the tsh test is not the most accurate way to guage the health of your thyroid. what's more is that many people with thyroid problems still fall into "normal" lab ranges, so doctors tell you you're fine and tell you to just work harder at losing weight. check out "stopthethyroidmadness.com"... great ad-free/patient-advocate website... their forums are great and you might be able to find your story there. my point is, dont just accept the first thing your doc tells you as end-all/be-all... they do have the training, but often those booksmarts just zero in on a number...when we are so much more than a number. pllus, the doctor doesnt live inside your body, YOU do... so you should really listen to it.
sorry this is kinda long... but i have just found out about this complete breakdown of the medical profession when it comes to thyroid health and i guess i just want to spread the word. i have actually FELT my metabolism slow to a crawl, almost as palpable as that, and i have said the very words you have... that if i even just so much as LOOK at a piece of bad food, i gain a crapload of weight from it. NOT fair, as i lived with 3 guys who practically inhaled the junk and were scrawny as heck. dont get me wrong, i completely agree with what everyone has said in response to your initial post, BUT i am simply saying, dont be so quick to discount thyroid issues. make sure you REALLY know before you say yours is fine.
Alexis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Dawn to dusk, did I read that right? Are you only eating 1000-1200 a day and as low as 500? Because quite honestly that is not a good idea, not a good idea at all. Your body needs more fuel then that. This is something you want to do forever and ever. Eating that little can only backfire, as you well know, having eaten those hot dogs.

IMO, you need to find a plan that you can stick to forever. This really should not be looked at as some "diet" that once you finish you can go back to your old ways. Diets end (this is bad), lifestyles continue, they go on and on (this is good). You need to be eating at least 5 or 6 times a day. Three decent meals and 2 or 3 snacks. Eating every 2 -3 hours, so that you never get hungry. You also need to eat healthy foods as they will keep you from having urges for unhealthy foods and provide you with proper nutrition. Maybe you want to give us a sample of a days menu and we can help you change it up to make it more healthy and satisfying and sustainable.

You should absolutely not feel guilty. Read my signature, though it's nowhere near as funny as Shelby's. Every day is a new opportunity to improve ourselves.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote