Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Suggestions, as I'm competitive...

Okay, so this past Monday marked the start of my Curves three month "Biggest Loser" contest. I totally would like to win, though just losing in general is most important to me. I'm trying to figure out what else I can be doing to help this weight go away, but still be totally healthy about it.

My meal plan kind of looks like this:
Breakast: oatmeal or cheerios with 1% milk and a banana
Lunch: Often times it is wasa crackers (2) with either a bit of 2% cheese or maybe a little jelly if I need something sweet. Sometimes a salad, using the salad spritzers as dressing (I love those things!), sometimes leftovers from the previous night's dinner.
Dinner: Can be anything, though I cook pretty healthily. Pasta using the Barillas omega 3 pastas, fish, chicken, turkey. Very little beef of any kind. Always a veggie and then maybe to go with it, brown rice, occasional baked potatoe, once a week, mac and cheese for the kids, again using the barilla and the light Velveeta cheese. I watch my portion size with this.
Evening snack: Always at least two hours before bedtime and usually a scoop or two (depending on time of the month) of fat free frozen yogurt or the 1/2 fat ice cream.

This meal plan varies a little bit but not much. Is there anything I need to change? Also, I do the Curves workout three times a week and I did walk a mile this week on one of my non-Curves days. But the other non-Curves day, it was cold and windy (and incidently, that was leading up to the buttload of snow we got today! Can you believe it was 75 degrees here on Tuesday?) and I just hate cold. I had considered trying out yoga, but don't know how well I'd do at my size and I worry about being in a class with little wafer thin girls.

Thanks for your feedback!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #2  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Kim!

Your plan sounds good! Here are somethings that have helped me.

1) Increase fiber

2) Increase water

3) Eat a part of your overall calorie total EVERY THREE HOURS to keep your metabolism high

4) Exercise a couple times throughout the day

5) Lift weights as you watch TV. I do mine on my exercise ball because I bounce during commercials. SO MUCH FUN!!!

6) Add more protein

7) Watch carbs

8) Watch fats

9) Reward yourself as you go

10) Keep a journal and write all your successes in it, too

That's my top ten!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:48 AM   #3  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Cheryl pretty much nailed it!

I think you could use one or two more snacks so you can keep your metabolism going throughout the day, as Cheryl suggested.

Food journaling as well, at least in the beginning. Calorie balance has been so important for me. Too high OR too low means no losses for me.

Cardio on your off days would help too. I don't know if you like exercise DVD's, but they are great for when the weather outside is frightful.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 AM   #4  
missaprylj

Good luck, Kimberly!

Maryland weather sounds a lot like Wisconsin... it was about 65 here on Tuesday and today the high was around 30. Gotta love it!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

In my opinion, that isn't a lot of food. Do you mean you have 2 crackers and some cheese for lunch, or that's 2 crackers and a salad or 2 crackers and leftovers? I'm surprised you can make it all the way to lunch on just a bowl of cheerios, cold cereal doesn't stick to me at all! I would need a bigger breakfast and definitely some kind of morning snack.

It looks like how I used to diet in the past, and I never had a lot of long term success with too much restriction. Everyone is different though, good luck with the contest and your weight loss!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Cheryl and Glory and Tiffany.

For me at least and at this point of the game I am down to about 1300 calories a day for the most part. Yesterday came in at about 1600. Soo I definitely have my up days as well. My point isn't that YOU should be eating less calories, my point is I AM EATING WAAAY MORE FOOD THEN YOU at less calories. I like volume, again that's just me. And I don't see that there. I would be famished on what you eat. Only you know of course how your plan has been working for you. Are you full and satisfied? Ever hungry? Do you have cravings? Are you able to stick to this? Forever? Are you losing steadily?

For breakfast, I find Cheerios to be air food as I like to call it. It just doesnt stick and I am hungry almost immediately.

Lunch is a perfect time to load up on veggies and some protein Dinner the same. Basically every thing you eat should have some kind of nutritional value to it. Hopefully with protein and fiber.

Here is a sample of my day:

Breakfast - 1/2 cup Fiber One Cereal with 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk. I never in my life thought I could drink skim milk. Well I can, I got used to it in about 4 seconds. The fiber and protein and carbs I am eating for this meal keeps me mucho full and satisfied and it is HEALTHY and revs up my metabolisim.

Snack - about 2 hours after breakfast - Danon 60 calorie fat free yogurt with 1 tbsp fiber one cereal for crunch and more fullness and FIBER. Again I'm eating fiber and protein - healthy and filling and DELISH

lunch, about 2 hours after my snack - usually a Morning Star Farms chick patty or Spicy Bean burger with 3 cups of cauliflower. Again, I've got protein and fiber. Very stick to the ribs and healthy and DELISH. Sometimes I eat a huge salad, and I do mean HUGE with a can of tuna thrown in and some fiber one in place of croutons. Or a huge salad with a cut up grilled chicken cutlet.

Snack- about 2 hours after lunch - 60 calorie jello sugar free pudding with a squirt of fat free whipped cream. Or cut up cucumber slices, baby carrots and a dollop of hummus.

Dinner - I don't eat pasta or rice. That's just me. I have a problem with control in this area. I am not happy with 2 measly ounces. So I avoid it. Vegetables I can eat as much as I like with no restriction. Again, that's just me and MY hang ups. So I usually have a chicken breast stir fry with tons and tons of veggies. I filll up an entire plates worth. Totally and completely healthy, filled with all kinds of nutrients and fiber and protein. ANd oh so filling. Sometimes I'll have fish with veggies. Every now and then homemade pizza, using a high fiber flat wrap and very little low fat cheese and topped with veggies and a big salad.

Snack - only if I need it and lately I do. Something lite, like another pudding or a 60 calorie fat free/sugar free ice cream bar.

I also drink a lot of water. A LOT.

I am basically eating every 2 -2 1/2 hours. Which keeps my metabolisim moving. I never allow myself to get too hungry, if at all. Knowing I have a plan and just knowing that I will be eating something delicious in just 2 short hours really helps me to stay on plan. And for me that's the most important thing. STAYING on plan. Because that's what really helps take the weight off - STICKING to it.

On your non Curves day perhaps you can walk in place or dance for 20 minutes. Or get a WATP 1 or 2 mile DVD, they are really easy to do. I think you will love them. That little bit of exercise really helps make the weight come off.

I hope this helps you. Good luck with the contest. It sounds like fun.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-17-2007 at 07:36 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Hey Lakegirl, good for you for doing your Curves biggest loser contest. That seems fun and a good way to get some motivation. The prize BETTER be good...grrrr.

IMHO I agree with the others though. You're really trying hard and that is obvious, but sometimes an overly restrictive diet can be as harmful and extreme as the prior one that got you where you are. Just curious how many calories that adds up to.

Have you had success with this type of diet in the past or is this a new way of eating for you?
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #8  
Losin' it forever!

Thanks for the suggestions, girls!

Maybe you're right and I'm not eating enough, but just to clarify, my problem before changing the way I eat, was never overeating. It was always eating the wrong things. One of my friends has always said that I "eat like a bird" because I do get full so quickly. What I would often do though was make my lunch a handful of cookies, or a big piece of cake, etc. If the sweets were there, it suited me just fine!

There are days when I will throw in another snack in the afternoon, though not usually between breakfast and lunch because I don't feel I need it (though, Robin, your yogurt with Kashi cereal sounds Yummo *dang, I hate Rachel Raye!* and I may have to try it!). I do eat when I'm hungry unless the hunger hits too close to dinner and then I try to wait.

So I guess my next question is, should I make myself eat the other snacks or a bigger lunch even if I don't feel hungry in order to keep my metabolism up?

My other question I mentioned before and Wellyn and I talked about it, is that I am so not a water fan, but I can make short work of a lot of diet green tea. Does that not work? Do I still need to be drinking a ton of water?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

Hi Lakegirl.

I believe, although not 100% certain that green tea is fine.

I am just curious, have you ever tried logging in your calories on Fitday.com? Because you might be surprised to find out just how many calories you really are eating. It might in fact be more then you suspect. The foods that you mentioned that you eat really have a way of sneaking up on you. Maybe if you try fitday for a few days you will get a real true idea of just how many calories you are eating. Which of course means measuring things out. You'd be surprised what a 4oz portion or 1/2 cup of food really looks like. I know I was shocked when I first did this. So when I said that you were not eating enough, I didn't mean calories, I mean quantity. I personally like getting the most bang for my buck so to speak, volume wise AND nutrition wise. Although volume may not be a concern to you, I really think nutrition is an important one. And quite frankly, I don't see where you are getting enough of that on your current diet. Are you willing to change up your diet a bit to add some more protein and fiber or not? I didn't gather that from your answer. So although I wouldn't necessarily make myself eat when not hungry I would make myself eat more nutritious foods. I just don't see enough fiber, protien and veggies. But I do think eating 5 or 6 times a day is optimal for long term success. Again, if you are successful on what you have been doing and it's working for you and you feel you can stick to this forever and ever, that's great. We are all so different, what works for one does not necessarily work for another.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeGirl View Post
My other question I mentioned before and Wellyn and I talked about it, is that I am so not a water fan, but I can make short work of a lot of diet green tea. Does that not work? Do I still need to be drinking a ton of water?
I'm not a water fan either - I try to drink a big glass with lunch and a big glass with dinner (and I do like water after I work out) - otherwise it's tea for me. I drink a lot of different kind of teas, luckily I like them all plain. Tea vs. water was not a factor with my weight loss!

As far as your meal plan, it looks both unsatisfying and nutritionally weak to me (but that is based on how *I* eat, not necessarily what is right for you). More fruit and vegetables are always good, more lean protein and more healthy fat. As far as specific suggestions, I can only tell you what works for me. A sample menu for me (I'll use yesterday):

B - 2 kashi waffles, 1 with 1 tbs natural peanut butter, 1 with no sugar added cherry jam

S - 1/2 carton of strawberries (sometimes, I add sliced berries to 1 cup of plain non fat yogurt, just didn't have any yesterday)

L - Although I usually get a huge salad from the cafe downstairs (with grilled chicken or turkey for extra protein), I went out with a friend to a Thai place. I got steamed vegetables/tofu (bok choy, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms) with soy ginger sauce over brown rice.

S - 1 St Patrick's Day cookie with frosting, 1 mug of no sugar added cocoa (Okay, this was bad, usually I have a non fat latte with a biscotti, but there was a big St. Patrick's Day party down the hall and I couldn't resist a cookie, I did resist the M&Ms and the cupcakes, so I am still considering this a win)

S - tangelo

S - cut up veggies with low fat ranch to dip (I also like hummus to dip, more protein/fiber)

D - 2 egg omelet - mushrooms, onions, garlic, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, a little olive oil, topped with lots of salsa

S - I normally don't eat an afterdinner snack because I eat dinner pretty late. I am an afternoon snacker, not an after dinner snacker

I try REALLY hard to eat at least 5 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit a day. I also try to have protein at every meal. My meals are so "whole foods"/unprocessed that I also pay attention to making sure I get enough healthy fat (usually through nuts/nut butters, olive oil, avocados). I have also eliminated "white" carbs as much as possible. I love whole grain bread and whole wheat tortillas and brown rice and whole grain pitas and whole grain pasta

I have to admit I am jealous of you "eating like a bird." I don't really have an "off" switch so I have to carefully measure portions and STOP EATING when I am done with a meal. I think that is going to be GREAT for you to help you lose weight. If you don't eat much, make sure what you do eat is nutritionally powerful!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #11  
Losin' it forever!

Quote:
I am just curious, have you ever tried logging in your calories on Fitday.com?
I did once, briefly and got frustrated with it, but that has been some time ago, so maybe I'll try again and yell if I have any questions. Does Fitday let you know if what you are eating is considered a fiber, a protein etc?
Quote:
Are you willing to change up your diet a bit to add some more protein and fiber or not? I didn't gather that from your answer.
No, Robin, that's not true at all. I think at times I'm just not sure of what to chose that would be better. I've been learning to branch out more this time, for example, this is the first time in my life I've ever been willing to touch oatmeal and now I love it. I have veggie issues where I just don't enjoy them all that much. I love salads and have one with dinner a couple of time a week or at lunch, but even cooking veggies with dinner, which I do every night is not a favorite thing for me. I do eat them, but that is probably why I'm not eating enough of them. I need to try to find other ways of eating them that would be more enjoyable.

Glory,
Help me out a bit...Kashi waffles...frozen breakfast food section? I tried the Eggo multigrain once and hated them...are these better? And what is tangelo?
I also just looked up to find out how many calories I should be eating to lose weight and the number it calculated was 2600. Does that sound about right or is that high? Maybe I just have no clue...

Thanks for the help! I'm learning more each day!

Last edited by LakeGirl; 03-17-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Lakegirl, you misunderstood me, since I wasn't clear, when I said that I couldn't gather if you were willing to switch to more nutritional food, I didn't mean that you WEREN'T willing to. I meant that I COULD NOT TELL from what you posted, whether you were or were not. You've not made it loud and clear that your are. How very exciting.

I am very, very fortunate that I love veggies. If and when you're ready I've got some real simple, real good ways of making them. I just discovered asparagus, one of my DD's wouldn't touch it until last night. I roasted it with tons of chopped fresh garlic, she could not stop eating it. I had always used powdered garlic, but dopey me ran out of powdered. It was the best thing that could of happened. It was so much better. And so very easy.

Fitday can be a bit frustrating. It does get better once you get the hang of it and it does tell you about protein and fiber and stuff. I would be very, very wary of anything besides tracking calories on Fitday. I find EVERYTHING else to be real sketchy, not so accurate. I really don't think 2600 calories will get you much of a loss if any unless you were exercising for hours and hours a day. Why not start at about 1800 and see how you feel on that. Go up by 100 or down if you are not satisfied. That's usually a good place to start. But you should probably first figure out what you had been eating. You might be able to lose on more calories. It also depends on how much exercise you are doing. Trial and error is really the only way to determine what is best for yourself.

Good luck and ask away, anytime, anything. By the way Glory real knows her stuff and has a good way of putting things.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-17-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Lakegirl -- The best way to figure out how many calories you need to lose is to track what you eat, see what happens, adjust accordingly.

When I started calorie counting at around 282 pounds I lost a little over 2 pounds a week on average eating 2000 calories/day on average. I could have lost on 2600/day, probably closer to 1 pound/week.

I love to eat, so didn't want to drop too low. As you lose weight, you usually need to drop some to keep losing. I've also upped my exercise a lot since then...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Lakegirl -

I use www.thedailyplate.com. Personally, I like it a lot better than fitday. Anyway, I just entered your weight over there (but didn't know what height to use so I kept my height in there) and it said approximately 2200 calories/day to lose 2 pounds per week. I think the numbers that a calculator gives you really should just be a starting point....just pick one and try it for a while. See if you're hungry...and if so are you eating nutritionally dense foods or are you blowing a lot of calories on packaged, processed, "empty" foods? Also, see how your weight loss goes... Then you can decide to leave them alone or move them up or down accordingly. Trial and error, here....I think there is no ONE method that will fit everyone's needs.

Good luck and have fun with it!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

What Tricia said is what I wanted to say... not about thedailyplate per se but.. well, you get it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote