Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Default ? on "friendship bread"

I have a recipe for making the starter for Friendship breads, I was wondering if anyone has tried making a healthier version?

It requires milk, sugar and flour............I'm thinking about trying whole wheat flour and Splenda. Any thoughts? I LOVE this bread, but I have family members that are diabetic and I'm trying to switch over to using whole wheat flour with my baking. I already tried using No fat Skim milk, but the starter didn't grow......so I think that I HAVE to use at least 2% milk.
I may just have to do more experiments
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The whole wheat flour might work. Splenda, though, is a no-go, at least not for all of the sugar in the recipe. Yeasts (natural and commercial) need sugar to grow and thrive, and your starter won't rise without the sugar. I've always used skim milk, though, with no problems with starter growth.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

You could however use splenda in the final baking after you separated out the starters to pass on. (my recipe had added sugar and pudding at the final baking) -skim milk should work fine though... dont know why that batch failed
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm not sure about the starter, but here is a healthier version of the final recipe that my stepmom got from the paper:
  • 1 cup starter
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (I'm sure you could use 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat flour, not sure you could use exclusively whole wheat flour)
  • 1 small box instant vanilla pudding (I would get fat free, sugar fee if available)
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce (drain liquid in a medium mesh strainer)
  • 1 cup sugar (you could use 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup splenda)
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
  • 1 oz (about 4 tbsp) ground walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat over to 325 degrees. Lightly spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and wipe off extra, then dust with a combination of cinnamon and sugar, knocking out an excess.

In medium bowl, mix flour, pudding mix, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.

In large bowl, mix drained applesauce, sugar, milk, egg, egg whites, and vanilla. Whisk for about 45 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in starter and raisins. Add flour mixture and stir until just moistened.

Divide batter between two loaf pans and sprinkle tops with ground nuts. Bake 50 minutes on 325 or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow pans to cool for about 15 min, then turn loaves out of pans and cool completely.

Of course, my stepmom always makes the high calorie version, which includes a cup of oil, so I can't say if this version is any good.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 03-18-2007 at 01:33 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone! I haven't been able to experiment yet, been busy with spring cleaning!!!
I'm not sure why the skim milk didn't work, unless one of the kids decided to be cute and see if metal really does kill the yeast! Will have to try again
I do have a starter done already with the original recipe, but I'll try baking it with the healthier ingrediants and see how it turns out.
Thanks again
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote