South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default Allergy to Chicken?

I tried it again yesterday! I had diced chicken in my salad for lunch, and afterwards I had a stomach ache. So I'm wondering if it's possible to be allergic to chicken?!? It's making it really hard to eat enough protein since I also don't eat turkey (mental thing), and then with chicken either giving me a stomach ache or making me nauseaous. Talk about frustrating!! Any tips? I've been trying to have lean beef, beef strips, and try to have chicken once a week.

-Aimee
Old 03-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #2  
Working for the Cruise!

Protein doesn't come solely from meat. Eggs are an excellent source and there are so many ways to prepare them. Even if you don't like an "eggy" taste, there are ways to mask that as well.

Lentils are often overlooked as a source of protein and good carbs. Also, if you are not eating a lot of red meat, you could be lacking in iron. Lentils to the rescue there as well!

Legumes are a common fix. Black bean soup is protein packed!

Don't forget fish! With so many varieties, you're bound to like one of them. Skip butter and try fresh lemon wedges. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I would keep a food diary for a couple weeks if I were you Aimee. Then you can see what is really causing the issue. It's also a great way to see what foods make you gain and which ones help you lose!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #3  

Pork is lean. Can you eat that? I make pork tenderloin fairly often.

I love meals with beans. Tonight I am making one that uses kidney beans, Rotel tomatoes/chili, spices and turkey sausage. I guess that wouldn't work for you because of the turkey but it is good.

I use a chili recipe that is posted here that has lots of beans and I use the 98% lean ground beef with it.

Brian and I love chicken but DH doesn't so I try not to fix it too often.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

What a shame, Aimee, because chicken is one of the cheaper meats.

Do you use soy? I find some of the burgers are OK but check the ingredients.

Pork tenderloin is great on this plan and can substitute for chicken in most of the recipes, especially if you flatten it.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I wasn't too sure about the pork thing, my bf is GREAT with cooking it. So I'm definitely going to turn to that a little more... thanks SO much everyone, I really appreciate all the input

I have been watching my diet pretty closely with what makes me feel ill, and what does not. Unfortunately I really do think it's the chicken, although I wonder if it's a little mental. Either way, it's good to have alternatives.

-Aimee
Old 03-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Aimee, it's a great idea to keep a food diary (Good job, Sarah! ). Then take it to your doctor or a nutrition clinic and talk to them. It could possibly be chicken in combination with other things...or your current stomach ache with chicken could be a sign of a bigger problem--better to get it checked out and be sure.

The chicks gave you lots of great advice on protein. There's a lot out there! Good luck, hon! This must be frustrating!
Closed Thread