Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #1  
Mel

Default The Chat-Check In Thread March 15 - April!, 2007

It's not spring yet, can I have a tantrum? I'm sitting here in the dark, listening to the sleet on our skylights and thinking about my icey drive tomorrow across PA. Oh well...maybe it's spring in Ohio!

Robin- You said You didn't do well in weightloss challenges...boy do I hear you on that! After a few years of joining them, I've finally learned better. I'm just NOT going to lose as quickly, and at this point I don't want to. I know if I do, I lose muscle, and end up not being able to eat as much or being actually fatter although I weigh less.

Hikerchick- ha! I was close! I drove through that area two years ago. Lots of room to hike

Have to dash to the gym for a very full morning of clients, then back and cardio for me. It's been a good, baggy pants kind of week here.

OK, LWL, we have a few week left before shorts and tank top weather to !

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #2  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Mel - you know you hit a nerve for me with the shorts and tank top line! I did buy one pair of shorts last week (size 8! ) and while hardly "short shorts", they were a little shorter than I would normally have purchased. We'll see if I really feel okay (and by okay I mean no nasty cellulite showing) when it's time to wear them in public.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm here! I'm here!

I'm stressed this week, I even had a quasi meltdown last night. Next week will be better, hopefully.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #4  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy new thread everyone! And, TGIF!

Not looking forward to the 10-15" of snow they are saying we'll have by morning! After the Spring teaser of this week, it will be hard to deal with. We are already back in the 20's temp-wise, and the snow will start around noon.

Despite the weather, I AM going to go start looking for a wedding dress today - I've been putting it off for way too long, so it's got to be today! I'm looking forward to the afternoon off, even if it could be filled with trying on a bunch of dresses that are many sizes too small for me! Wish me luck!

I'll be resuming my workouts next week - the doctor says I didn't do any real damage to my knee - just a bad case of the kneecap being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You'd think I could tape it to help keep it in place, wouldn't you? I'm definitely going to look into that before I'm able to do lunges and squats again. He thinks that pain will most likely last for a few more weeks, so it will give me some time to research taping it.

You gals have a great weekend - and feel free to come up to Albany to help me shovel!

Mel - take care on that drive! I hope the roads aren't too bad for you.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #5  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Nelie – Hope it’s nothing serious, take it easy.

Hikerchick – Baby weights, that’s priceless! Way to go on lifting heavier, that peanut gallery seems like quite the motivator.

Had a few flurries driving in to work this AM, ice on my car the last couple of days. Alas, spring is not quite here.

I had a really good run last night, upped my time a little (up to 25 min, hopefully back up to 30 min by the end of the month). I wonder if it didn’t have something to do with my unusually high calorie lunch? I went out with a co-worker and got a veggie burger with fries (hey, I only ate half the fries), so I wasn’t hungry for my afternoon snack and I was able to run no problem. Usually I’m really dragging about half way through, but not yesterday. Got a good UB work out and some yoga in to.

Think I’ll do some kickboxing tonight, love that kicking and punching! I have to get fitted for my bridesmaid dress tomorrow, hope I don’t kick or punch anyone at the bridal shop (I hate those places, I hope I survive finding my own wedding gown).

Happy Friday! Have a good weekend everyone.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Okay. It's been an entire week without a workout and I'm about to go off the deep end here. I'm almost caught up here at the house the basement is next. help us all...I hate that job and it never gets easier no matter how many storage boxes and labels I use. Okay. enough domestic grousing.

Mel: I would not want to make that drive on ice either.
I just checked the forecast for Central Ohio and it is supposed to be 38 and cloudy on Saturday but in the 42 and sunny on Sunday. Hope the in between is the same for you.

Fran: I was thinking about your comment about losing weight without lifting and realized something. I'm kind of like a walking example of both approaches. I've been able to lift upper body for the last ten months while eating clean. That part looks pretty fit. I have nice definition in the pecs as well as shoulders and biceps. The triceps still need a little work but it's coming.

The bottom half needed to heal during the last ten months and all I could do was cardio. There is such a difference in the "way" the two halves look. With long pants on I look okay. But with shorts, you can really see the lack of muscle development as well as a lot of flabbiness that just shouldn't be there when compared to the top half. They just don't match.

I'm really psyched about starting a LBWO this coming week. I always just feel so strong after a good LBWO. My knee is a little sore but I think that it will be okay to begin leg extensions and curls just to get the quads and hamstrings a little stronger for squats and lunges next month. My goal this summer is to "match."

Cindy: Your winters sound merciless. I get more than two inches at a time and I freak. I'm out there shoveling every half hour to try to stay ahead of it... Good luck wedding dress shopping. Just have fun with it!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

On the topic of the scale vs measurements. Wouldn't it be great if there was a ticker that you could plug your measurements into and track that progress just like weight.

i measure but then I forget my measurements. I really ought to write them down. I am pretty sure I am down 2 inches in my waist and hips. Not sure on the boobage since I had been nursing and that measurement changed by the hour.

I have measured my arms and legs but I can't seem to commit those numbers to memory. Anyhow it sure would be nice to plug those into a tracker.

And way back when y'all were talking about what a great and supportive site this is. I had wanted to throw in this comment. I am sure that it takes a lot of good work from some awesome moderators to do that so just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to the powers that be.

I am in a totally weird mood today since I ate a weird cliff bar and had a not quite long enough run (not recommended it wasn't even yummy which I had hoped). I think I had better go exercise off some of this energy. I am bouncing off the walls here.

Ta ta!
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #8  

Hi LWL,

Just checking in to say I'm back. i was out on a business trip last week, got home this morning after a 22 + hour return trip...and I am feeling very tired and jet-lagged. i had no excercise at all over the last week, so i hope I'll find the energy to start again over the weekend. You guys keep me motivated !

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

Oh Rabbit! Go take a nap!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all. Ick on the East coast weather! We're cold here, but no storms in the forecast!

Hiker - writing it down is good. I can't remember my names some days, never mind my measurements.

Lydia - you are a cleaning fool, woman! Wanna do mine? I'll pay! Sounds like you need a gym break.

Cindy - I have problems with my kneecaps "wandering." A PT gave me isometric exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around them (and quads to an extent) which are very easy, esp since you can do them lying in bed. Really it's just tightening and holding the quad muscles for a count of 10, and doing it at least 10 times, working up to 20 or 25. When I was going to the PT he also had me doing leg lowering - the reverse of leg lifts - where you raise your legs, one at a time, keeping it straight but not locked, and lower it as slowly as you can - much harder than it sounds. When I do these regularly, I have much less trouble with my knees. My problem is when they feel good, I stop doing the exercises.

Rabbit - get some rest! I hate those long, long days getting home. I'm going to Dallas for a 4 day weekend leaving next Thurs night, and it's 12 hours each way. I must be nuts.

So I was very excited at losing 8 pounds, then had a stupid argument with DH, and what's my first instinct - eat! Grrrr. Luckily I recognized what I was doing, but a half bag of Good & Plenty had been consumed by then..... At least I've got a long training walk/run scheduled for the weekend, and the bike trail is free of ice so I can do it outdoors - yay! That should burn off the candy!

Have a great day!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Speaking of measurements, I just took my quarterly ones. So here's what 30 pounds +/- will buy you:

Chest: -2.5"
Waist: -3.5" (yeah!)
Hips: -1.5"
Thighs: -2 "
Tummy bulge: -2 "
Bodyfat: From 50% to 38% (according to Tanita scale)
Down about 2 sizes, hard to tell since I started off in only stretch pants. But I went from an XL and 1X's down to Larges and some Mediums, and got into some jeans for the first time in 15 years.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Yay! Fran. I got brave and tried on my too-tight black jeans this morning. Once again, like my LL Bean cords, they fit except for the 2-3" gap between the button and the buttonhole. The jeans are weird though. The same size, same brand in denim fit - and fasten - just fine. I just wish what I was losing would come off my waist - I could wear a lot of things then.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

FRAN: Awesome Job Lady! It's workin' for ya. Maybe in a couple of months I'll be able to post some new stats too. I just have to stay consistent.

PAT: You'll pay?! Once I tore into the basement there was no stopping me. I think I have two bags of trash and two bags of clothes for donation. I'm calling it a success. The kids toys are reorganized and the boys' crafts supplies are restocked, cleaned up and labeled. It looks so good I don't want the kids to get near it. I think I really did need a break from the gym. I just feel calmer knowing that I am finally caught up around here. My next project, to put together a fitness binder...

Have a great night everyone.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #14  
Mel

Lydia, wanna come home with me? BIG, cluttered basement, kitchen counters getting lost...kids toys still in closets and one of the kids has been living near you for the last six and a half years!

Welcome back, Rabbit Hope you are catching up on your sleep. Where in the world were you that it took 22 hours to get home?

Fran- Awsome! It is so REAL when you srite it down. I really regret not having before pictures or measurements. I was too much in denial to even do that. I didn't even weigh myself until after about 3 weeks of drastic food and exercise changes Good for you!

Cindy- I used to have a lot of problems with my knees and wrapped them with ace bandages when I lifted legs. That helped a lot. One day, after about a year of consistent lifting, I forgot them and was pleasantly surprised that I had no pain during or after my workout.

Hikerchick- You could set up a ticker of "total inches lost" or something like that. I'll look into whether there is a way to make, update and paste charts into the reply box. Then we could keep track here. (For the brave, the few....)

It's still snowing.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

I'm so glad my back gave out on me. You see, I was to have flown to New Orleans yesterday and back tonite, for work. Luckily, my body was smarter and threw a literal wrench into the plans (inability to sit or bend making travel unrealistic). Turns out that along with delays, my return connection from Charlotte was canceled tonite, hotels are full (yeah, I checked bc I want to feel even more worried the next time I travel), as were trains. I might have gotten a car, but what would I do with it. Flights sold out until Sunday nite. Flights are ALL so booked these days that if your flight is canceled, you're basically stranded for DAYS somewhere. Insert visions of Lydia's husband here. Thankfully, the alternative means I'm warm in my bed right now instead of sleeping on the floor at the CLT airport for the next 2 nites. UGH I'm starting a new mantra of only traveling where the trains go. And even they are not perfect.

BUT.......now I'm in between-sizes limbo. Got a meeting to go to on Monday and I've got a choice between baggy/saggy vs. fear of popping a button/zipper if I sit down. <<sigh>> So I am hodgepodging and breaking out the body shapers to see what I can come up with. Such is the life of a work in progress! All the really thoughtfully put together outfits will come in another 6 months. I refuse to buy anything for this meeting though, cuz it will be too big in another 6 weeks.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote