Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #1  
Meg

Talking Spring Clothes Shopping

Has anyone been shopping for clothes lately? I haven't been in the mall since Christmas but it's raining today and I thought I'd check out the sales. And wow, I was so disappointed!

It seemed like the spring colors are predominantly yellow-greens, browns, and corals, which are wonderful if you have the right skin tones. I don't - I've got very pale skin and blue eyes and look terrible in earth tones. So that ruled out about 75% of what I saw. Then what's with the maternity tops?? Big, gauzy tops with empire waists. Not a good look on anyone, IMO (unless you're preggers of course!) And there were a lot of sweaters and tops in very long lengths (like mid-thigh), also not good for a short person.

I found an awesome part of pants that made the trip worthwhile, though. They're black (of course - black is slimming, right? ) and button up like sailor pants. Instead of a zipper, there's a flap in front with a vertical row of four buttons on each side, if that makes sense. Slightly wide legged. They fit like a glove but if I eat even one cookie, they're not going to fit any longer so they're good incentive not to misbehave.

I guess I'll be making do with last summer's clothes if this is what's going to be in fashion this season. Fortunately, I've over bought in previous years and won't be lacking! Isn't that the best part of being at your goal weight ... your size doesn't change from year to year?

Have any of you been shopping? What do you think of the current styles and colors?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I was at the mall last weekend. I don't like that thin , gauzy material either. I really won't wear long shirts practically to my knees or any of the shirts that show half the stomach. Yuck. The only things I could find that I really liked were more dressy clothes and I was looking for casual everyday stuff. I already have a lot of dressy stuff now. I will again be looking for some mid-thigh shorts for summer and a new swimsuit. I have a lot of capris and feel so comfortable in them, but wish I could find new tops to wear with them.
Meg, I know which type of pants you are talking about and those are very cute. I want a white pair of pants. It is so nice to know that I can still wear my clothes from last summer. I constantly have to remind myself that just because I can shop in the junior section, doesn't mean I should. LOL. I got 2 new catalogs yesterday from Fashion Bug and Lane Bryant and threw them in the trash. My birthday is the end of this month, so I'm thinking maybe a shopping trip is in order.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #3  
Meg

LOL Lily, about the juniors department - I watched What Not To Wear yesterday and it was all about a 25 year old who shopped in the junior's department and the stuff was too young for HER. So maybe we old ladies need to steer clear.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Well, I definitely don't fit in all of last year's clothes (yay!) and I DO look good in earth tones, but I don't know if I'll be smaller next year, so I'm trying to be careful with my purchases.

I really like Talbots and there's an outlet near me. They are having a big sale starting Friday am and I am going. A lot of it might be winter clothes, but the prices can be great. A few weeks ago I bought a skirt I had been eying last summer. Of course, last summer I was an 18 (and thrilled, having lost a bunch of weight already), but this time I was a 12! And full price that skirt was $118! I got it for $12!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #5  
Mel

OOOh Heather, you've got me beat! I thought I got a great deal last week at Talbots. But there's hardly anything left!

Quote:
Instead of a zipper, there's a flap in front with a vertical row of four buttons on each side, if that makes sense. Slightly wide legged. They fit like a glove but if I eat even one cookie, they're not going to fit any longer so they're good incentive not to misbehave.
OK, there's another drawback to this style which I discovered back in college the last time this style was in fashion. YOU CAN'T DRINK MUCH!!!!!! If I remember correctly, my wool navy surplus pants had about 22 buttons on that flap. I wish I still had them, they'd probably fit again. But I drink even more now than I did back then (different contents in the bottle ) and I do remember some near disasters.

BTW, Talbots had these on sale last week for $22, but they didn't have then anywhere in my size I've always wanted winter white pants and at $22.00 was willing to face the possibility that the first time I wore them might be the last.

Earth tones and I are not a good combo. Luckily, I don't need to be very stylish working in a gym.

And another beef- tight capris! Ugh, whoever thought that one up must be 5'9 and weigh 113 lbs. I look like a frumpy fire hydrant in capris.

Mel
Old 03-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  

Now this is a subject I can really get into. I love great clothes. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing about this year's fashions. I'm not a casual kind of girl -- I prefer classic trousers, tailored shirts, great suits and smart accessories. This year's styles are taking me right back down one of my most unfavorite memory lanes. All those tunic tops are right out of the '60s; Yesterday, I saw ads for geometric-print sleeveless shifts and pale makeups. Can we all say Pucci? And those so-called boot-cut pants? You can't fool me; I'd recognize a bell bottom leg anywhere. And speaking of pants ... what genius came up with all the low- and mid-rise designs? I'd sell my soul for a waistband that hit the waist .... Aaarrrggg ... oh oh .... I seem to be on a rant

I'm bowed, but not broken. Tomorrow, DH and I are going to Indy to look around. We're going to Rome in May (!) and I what I need is what our fine British friends call, "casual smart." Not work duds, but city-appropriate wear. Wish me luck.

In the meantime, I too will make do with summer things from years past -- garmets that are red, black and navy blue. Yep, there's nothing more satisfying than pulling out clothing that still fits. Wuv it, wuv it, wuv it.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Meg, I saw that episode of What Not to Wear and thought now that's something I need to pay attention to. LOL.

My skin color isn't very pale and earthtones work OK for me. But, I really like Navy and Red. As for capris, since I'm fairly tall they work good for me. Mid-rise jeans work nicely for me since my waist is not as slender as it should be. Higher waist clothes are always too big in the hips and legs for me. When I put on my trusty little tummy minimizer, I look like I have a decent waistline. LOL. Now if I could fine some of those padded undies, I'd look like I had a booty. LOL.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #8  
Mel

I love those mid-low rise pants! Like Lilly, if I had to buy what fit my so-called waist, they'd be ballooning out on my hips and thighs.

Robin, if we'd only saved all those clothes from the late 60's! Wait- I think I still have a peasant blouse or two in the attic!

Mel
Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I made DS go shopping with me last Friday after school because Talbot's had sent me a 10% off coupon. I got a cute pair of casual capris in navy with a pale yellow tee shirt that was dressed up with a little lace design on the collar. I don't usually wear yellow as I don't think I look good in it, but I wore it to work Monday and got two compliments for the color!

I also got a pair of dressier brown cropped slacks and two tops to go with them. i liked them so much I went online and ordered another pair in black. I must own a dozen pair of black pants, but of course, these are NEW! Then on Saturday, I went to Chico's and found another tee to go with the brown crops. I have plenty of cute new things to take to my convention in April!

Oh, and since I didn't have the right color brown shoes, I had to shop for those (Talbots had some nice slings that would have worked, but didn't have my size). I didn't really want a high heel, but that's what I ended up getting. Found them at JC Penney.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Robin and Mel: I was there too. It's so good to hear you saying what I've been thinking! And Meg, weren't those little maternity things in fashion then too - perhaps a bit later, early 70s?

Earth tones and me:

I don't have very many clothes so I'm not quite sure what's going to be happening here this summer.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Keep talking ... I'm totally enthralled by the idea of having a fabulous wardrobe some day. And my sister and I are touring a mall on Friday.

I'm thinkin' a white jacket ... that you can wear with a zillion coloured tanks and jeans or slacks???
Old 03-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Egads, I have flashbacks when I go to the mall. I wore those clothes in the 60's! Of course I was about a size 6 or 8 then too! I will never be more than 5'4" and while I wear capris sometimes (they hide my knees!) I need the tapered ones rather than the wider legs. And yes boot cut = bell bottoms in my book too.

I order a lot of my clothes from places like Lands End, LL Bean and J Jill. I find they have much more classic looks. My Irish coloring doesn't do well with earth tones either, and I find my ordering I can stick with navy, red, black and cream, with the occasional tan pants and lighter pastel tops.

However, I think all of last summer's clothes should fit fine, and maybe some from a couple years back if I continue losing. I was down another 3 lbs last night, for a total of 8 over the last 3 weeks. Amazing what just upping my exercise a little will do - though, like others have said, being on track with exercise keeps my eating in line too.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #13  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

My vacation clothes arrived via FedEx today. I ordered a skort and a white v-neck t-shirt. I love L.L. Beans because their cuts fit my body shape and I've never had a problem with sizing. Plus I HATE shopping and can do it from home, online.

I had to get the skort because none of the shorts I was wearing last summer fit. I was probably a size 10 then and still wearing my 12's & 14's. They were falling down baggy, but I didn't want to spend money since I was still losing weight. The skort lets me get a little more use than if it were just a pair of shorts.

The t-shirt is long enough to tuck into my low rise jeans and pants. I will have to order more in different colors.

Yes, I saw a lot of dark brown dresses and tops at Ann Taylor's Loft petite section last week when I was pants shopping. I guess they're to go along with last years brown skirts. Not a color I'm drawn to, but they would look fine with my dark brown hair.

My wardrobe's filled with clasic styles or styles that go well on my body. I've never been one to follow the latest styles. Mostly, when I see people wearing them like the empire waisted guazy shirts, I think, "What are THEY thinking? Do they think they actually look good in that? Fashion Slave!"

Last edited by clvquilts; 03-14-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I need a whole new wardrobe this year. I should of got one last year but put it off by the end of the summer my belt wouldn't even keep my shorts up. I may be in trouble if ther isn't much to pick from.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #15  
Meg

Susan, I think a little white jacket is a great investment. I have one that I've gotten a ton of use from ... it's cut like a jeans jacket but is lightweight white cotton jacquard fabric with a front zipper. So it can be casual or a little more dressy depending on what I wear it with - jeans = casual, black and white crinkle skirt = a little dressier. And white goes with everything, of course.
Closed Thread