Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #1  
Void Where Prohibited

S/C/G: 260/222/135

Height: 5'9''

Default Plateau getting on my last nerve!

Hi, I started dieting at the beginning of Feburary and had lost 15 lbs. However, after I hit 245 I stayed there. I did not increase my calorie intake (I keep track in FitDay ~1500 cals/day) and yet I couldn't lose any more weight.

So a week and a half ago I joined the gym and started working out every day. I started out jogging a mile and biking a mile, now i'm up to jogging 2 miles and biking 1.5 miles.

Anyway, about 2 days ago I noticed I STILL wasn't past 245 so I cut the calories to 1,000. Just weighed myself and- yup, still 245. It's really really frustrating me.

I understand about how working out builds muscle, etc. But it really feels like I am going to extremes and not getting anywhere.

Any thoughts?
jsta_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've got a few minutes here and am intrusive and like to talk How long have you been stuck?
BTW 15 lbs in February is awesome work!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #3  
Void Where Prohibited

I've been stuck a little over two weeks.

I can't understand why in Feb. I lost 15 lbs with only dieting, and now I can't lose any with diet plus exercise.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #4  

When is your period? That can throw you off for a week or better sometimes.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Two weeks is nothing to be concerned about, honestly. After the first month or so, my weight loss has gone like this: TOM ends, lose 5-10 lbs on the scale in 3-5 days, stall for three weeks until TOM ends again...thats just how my body works, flat out, and everyone is different. I'd definitely give yourself a little more time before calling this a plateau.

That being said, are you getting plenty of water? Lots of fiber? Are your measurements going down? During my 3-week plateaus, measurements still drop a bit more consistently.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #6  
Void Where Prohibited

Ahhh now that I think about it its about a week before that time. I just posted last month about how my period was causing me to eat everything in sight and become irritable beyond belief. thankfully I don't feel that way at all this month though.

Yes, I drink a lot of water especially when I'm working out. I don't take measurements but my pants feel pretty much the same.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #7  

I agree with Mandalinn about being two weeks not being too long or too bad but that's not much comfort, is it? And it never hurts to stop and reassess things.
How about the quality of your food? I know that it really is calories in vs calories out but salt and processing stuff can fool with water weight fluctuations.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #8  
Void Where Prohibited

I usually eat-- salads, pasta(within reason), tuna sandwiches, oven baked fries, LOTS of puffed rice cakes, sugar-free pudding, sugar-free jello, cool whip-free, nonfat milk, kids cereal like Lucky Charms, corn, peas and asparagus, nonfat cottage cheese and mandarin oranges, fruit n yogurt parfaits, broccli n cheese lean pockets, frozen yogurt, snackwells cookies, and for lunch usually a 250-300 calorie SmartOnes frozen lunch. GALLONs of water and diet soda. Thata pretty much what I choose from unless I have a special day once or twice per month when we go out and eat.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #9  

There's a bit of processed stuff in there that probably has more salt than you think.
I love cottage cheese and can't imagine life without it! Asparagus is good, tuna's good, oranges are good ... You're doin' OK. Just see if you can freshen up your diet a little and if you keep doing what you are doing ... the weight will come off.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #10  
Void Where Prohibited

okay, thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #11  
Mel

I agree with Susan about your nutrition--lots of processed stuff there leads to hidden sodium. Yes, it's calories in-calories out, but I find I lose and maintain a lot better on less processed, less starchy foods.

Quote:
I started out jogging a mile and biking a mile, now i'm up to jogging 2 miles and biking 1.5 miles.

I understand about how working out builds muscle, etc. But it really feels like I am going to extremes and not getting anywhere.
The exercise that you are doing is cardiovascular exercise- you are burning calories, but unless you've got the resistance on that bike cranked up really high (too high to sustain for 1.5 miles), you aren't doing muscle building workouts. Cardio is a great way to burn some excess calories, but if you want to build some muscle or at least not lose it while you lose weight, you should add some weight training to that workout. In the long run, it will do as much, if not more for you than the cardio. Ideally, do both!

Mel

Last edited by Mel; 03-14-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

You could get alot more food for the calories if you switched it and eliminated the stuff like kids cereal and lean pockets and replaced them with oatmeal, healthy cereal like Total or Kashi, and lean pockets - well, practically anything is better. Like a s'wich on whole wheat bread with peanut butter or turkey breast. You will find yourself so much more satisfied with wholesome, fiber rich food. Also, 1000 cals is probably not enough to support your activity. I've heard to never drop below 1200 if you are fairly active.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with the girls that your foods are quite a bit processed... Adding vegetables like a large salad at 2 meals/day would be very filling. I also don't see much protein in your food list, some chicken, fish, eggwhites, lean meat would be filling and keep you sustained longer.

Weight training is good for us you should add some to your workout and increase the intensity of your workouts... doing hills on the treadmill and bike at one minute intervals would burn more calories...

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #14  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Strange as it sounds, I think you may not be eating enough. In my experience, cutting calories too low will work against you. I try to follow the guidelines of 500-1000 below my maintenance level.

Hang in there! I know plateaus are frustrating.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #15  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

I agree - 1000 calories isn't enough, especially if you're working out. I think you need way more protein. I didn't see much in what you listed. And good carbs, like veggies and fruit and whole grains. There's no food in your food! (JK. Sort of.)

Also, I agree with Mel regarding adding weight training and resistance during your cardio. If I'm on the treadmill, I'm climbing hills. All the time. With 30-45 second sprints thrown in.

If I'm on the bike, I do moderate resitance at about 75-80rpm. Then I bump the resitance up a couple of notches and sprint for 30-60 seconds at 95rpm or better. Back down to less resitance, 75rpm, recover (about 60-90 seconds,) then sprint again. Repeat for 20-30 minutes. When I finish, my legs feel like Popeye's arms look.

It also really helps to have some thrashin' music to help you PUSH through it. I like Limp Bizkit and Disturbed and Godsmack for the bike, and stuff like Fergie and Gwen Stefani and hip hop for the treadmill.

Last edited by BeezKnees; 03-16-2007 at 06:14 PM.
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote