Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Sweetners make you more hungry?

I am beginning to think that sweetners...like the sugar Sweet n' Low and the sugars in diet drinks make me crave things more. I drink tea all day with sweet n' low and I'm constantly craving all day. I drank a sip of water by itself and I don't crave anything.

What do you think? This might definitely help my binges. At least craving-wise...can't say anything for when I WANT to overeat
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

They do for me, they make me hungry and they make me crave foods I wouldnt otherwise crave

Other people do fine with them

It is worth a shot!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #3  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

I am thinking it may also be something in the tea and sodas that is addictive. Possibly the caffine?

I am blaming the artificial sweetners for my sensitive teeth and gums. Ever since I started using them last week or so, I can barely stand the sensation when I am brushing my teeth. I know it sounds like a crazy theory but its the olny correlation I could think of.

Also, while we are talking about the artifical sweetners...I saw this lady on Martha Stewart last week (i forget her name) and she said that they are not good for your liver. I am not sure why though.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I have read research lately that has been linking artificial sweetner with all sorts of nasty things, even birth defects and autism in children of mothers who consumed a lot during pregnancy. Its not surprising considering that they are made of some pretty nasty stuff. Splenda (sucralose) for example, claims to tates like sugar because it is made FROM (not of) sugar. What they don't tell you is that is is made by processing sugar with chlorine (you know, the stuff you put in your pool). A lot of the other ones are not much better. I'll pass thanks...
Instead try the natural sweetners like Stevia, I've never tried it, but it is natural and from what I hear, quite good.
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #5  

Some people seem to have problems with them and shouldn't use them. Other people do not, and can use large quanities and be fine. I use a lot of splenda, since I drink it in iced tea. It doesn't do anything to me except drastically lower the amount of calories I take in daily. Were I using sugar instead, I would quite simply be gaining weight, not maintaining or losing.

It is an individual choice, and neither side is wrong. Some people seem to have an idea that "artificial" means "bad" or "harmful". I don't buy that. But if you do, then by all means don't use the stuff.

Edit: There is alot of bad things being said about splenda on the internet. I'm filing this under "urban myth" until there is a shred of scientific evidence to back it up.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i personally use to use a lot of splenda, sweet-n-low etc...recently i just decided to stop using it...sort of felt like i was bloated and not loosing weight. I found as soon as i stopped the artificial sweetners, I started loosing more weight and had less cravings. So for me...don't really like how i feel with artificial sweetners...but that is just my opinion..i'm still looking into legit research about it.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

this was a very good article i just googled. It had all the pros and cons and some really interesting fact. I'm not trying to influence things one way or the other....for years i used artificial sweetners...but i can attest i feel so much different using pure sugar...just enough to sweeten my coffee and i also use raw sugar vs processed sugar and i try to eat as much unprocessed foods...now don't get me wrong..i'm not totally "whole foods" yet...but i definately have noticed a HUGE difference without artificial sweetner. So here's the article...i would recommend doing a google search. There were a bunch more listed and get the fact for yourself. As for splenda..no real proven research about harmful effect...sor for now...still an urban legend...but they felt that way about other artificial sweetners years ago and now have some evidence to the contrary.
http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritio...ss/splenda.asp
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

To be honest I can't use artificial sugars either. Ever since I was a small child if I consumed any I would end up hallucinating. I know that sounds odd but It was mostly like I could go to sleep to dream but I couldn't wake out of the dream.. I'd be awake but be stuck on some level in the dream and not be able to wake up. The very taste of artificial sugars makes me gag and they're in everything, including toothpaste.

It sucks, I'm diabetic so I can't have sugar and I'm allergic to artificial sweetners so I can't have that either. I haven't tried the Stevia yet because I'm a bit afraid.. If it has a nasty aftertase I'm totally out. Bleh.
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #9  

I use artificial sweetener in my coffee, not that I am trying to avoid the sugar, I just hate the taste! I used to use sweet n' low, then of course we all hear about saccharin and it's detrimental effects! Now I use a about a half of an equal, yes I know, the bad effects of apartme! lol

As for the craving in creates, it doesn't in me. I never had a sweet tooth, people still don't beleive me but I never did! I can pass up a dessert in an instant, but boy oh boy did I make up for it in other ways! Anyways, I have read time and time again how sugar actually increases cravings of this sort, even the artificial sort. How valid is what I read? well, I havn't checked the journal of medicine or the journals of validity to answer, but word is, it's a factor. I think, as someone else here mentioned, our bodies react differently. I would just keep an eye on it and if you see it is a ffecting you in a negative way, find an alternative. Good luck
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/215/175

Height: 5'1"

My nutrionist told me the first day that I went to her that sweetners make you crave sweet foods andddd if your overweight to begin with that it builds up like a brick wall not letting the fat pass thru your blood stream therefore the fat keeps building up making you more overweight.. where as sugar is a natural product and can go thru your system faster..
sassyredneckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #11  

I wouldn't stop using products with aspartame in them, as I haven't seemed to have any problems. But I do suspect that I have a problem with Splenda. I have this irritating and annoying and itchy rash on my neck that showed up when I increased use of Splenda. I've cut out my use of the product and all products that I know contain sucralose and it's verrrrrrry slowly going away. It's pretty scary.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I truely beleive they trick our brains ~ and I have cut them (and sugar in general) out of my eating. Since doing so, I have not had ANY cravings for things - sweet or carbs. It was like a miracle to me, and it makes perfect sense. (and I no longer have the headaches I used to have!) EAch person has to make their own decisions as to what will work for them and what won't - but for me, cutting this junk out has been literally life changing for me.

Here is a quote from You on a diet:

While some sweetners are low calorie or No caloire, there is a downside. Sweetners found in diet soft drinks, in diet foods, and on restaurant tables next to the sugar packets go unrecognized by the brain. They're essentially invisible to your brain's satiety centers, so it doesn't count them as real food and still and still desires to be fullfilled by calories somewhere else. There's no clear cut proof on the effects of these sweetners- either on a health level or on a weight loss level - but we do know one thing: prehistoric man wasn't putting Splenda in his water. Artificial sweetners, while lacking calories, amy have side effects like intestinal problems and headaches. If you're having a hard time loosing weight or don't feel well, these are some of the first things to cut out, even though they can be an alternative to high-calorie sugars.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #13  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I recommend staying away from anything chemically altered. I know that in todays world its near impossible to stay away from processed foods especially if you are as busy as I. Something like this though.. you can just as easy use Raw Sugar ( which is tasty, its not refined and it has a shred of nutritional value) then there is stevia, which is sweeter than sugar, and its good for the teeth. It doesnt have a bad after taste.. its just different. Personally I use sugar in the raw because the only time I use sugar is for my one cup of coffee in the a.m. I cut out sweet tea years ago and replaced it with water. Its now become a treat.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #14  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash15+ View Post
I have read research lately that has been linking artificial sweetner with all sorts of nasty things, even birth defects and autism in children of mothers who consumed a lot during pregnancy. Its not surprising considering that they are made of some pretty nasty stuff. Splenda (sucralose) for example, claims to tates like sugar because it is made FROM (not of) sugar. What they don't tell you is that is is made by processing sugar with chlorine (you know, the stuff you put in your pool). A lot of the other ones are not much better. I'll pass thanks...
Instead try the natural sweetners like Stevia, I've never tried it, but it is natural and from what I hear, quite good.
OMG, if this is true -- how disgusting is that?. It would certainly explain why, the one or two times I tried Splenda, I thought it tasted awful and left a nasty after taste in my mouth. Processed stuff is mostly full of crappy things for your body. (That doesn't mean I don't eat them. Just try to limit. I'm of the school of thought that the 2 teaspoons of white sugar I put in my coffee every morning isn't going to kill me, won't prevent me from losing weight, and has got to be better than a bunch of chemicals. Just my 2 cents!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

*RANT WARNING*
Splenda is made by replacing some of the atoms in the sugar molecule with chlorine atoms. Its not the same chlorine you put in your pool, though, its the atom chlorine. And table salt (good old natural table salt) is also made of chlorine, along with another chemical element, sodium, which is so volatile and unstable that when it touches air or water, it explodes. Saying that splenda is made with pool chemicals is sort of like saying that salt is formed by a combination of pool chemicals and explosives. Granted, one is made naturally, one is made in a lab, and I'm not saying that splenda is some great health product, but I think that the "it has CHLORINE in it - thats a pool chemical!" bit is fearmongering. Chlorine (the atom, not the pool chemical) is in lots of things, including the acid in your stomach (HCl, Hydrochloric acid) and table salt (NaCl, Sodium Chloride).

Chlorine as it is used in pools, is actually typically Sodium Hypochlorite (NaOCl), consisting of a sodium atom, an oxygen atom, and a chlorine atom. This is not what is used in Splenda. When someone refers to Splenda as "Chlorinated sugar", they are referring to the fact that splenda is manufactured by replacing some of the atoms on a typical sugar molecule with chlorine atoms, not to it being sugar that is doused in pool chlorine. The reason you think that is true is because of marketing campaigns (by the sugar board) which imply that the chlorine being used in Splenda is pool Chlorine.

*RANT OVER*

I have lost 120 lbs at this point, and while my diet is mostly whole, i sometimes have a diet soda with Splenda or put a couple packets in my Americano. I am allergic to saccharin and aspartame (or at least, they make me violently ill) so I can't speak to their effects. For me, though, I've noticed absolutely no difference in cravings, weight loss, or other health effects when I consume splenda. Everyone's body is different and is OK with different things. My body is OK with splenda, yours might not be. But what works for one person might not work for everyone. For me, I don't have any problems with additional hunger or cravings. In fact, I did a mini-study on myself - tracked my food/cravings/etc with 2 weeks no artificial sweeteners, vs. my normal use. Absolutely no change in average calories, cravings, length of cravings, or types of foods being craved.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote