Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Supporting Each Other On Our Weight Loss Journey

It's great to be starting a new thread as the old one was getting too long! Join those of us who have been chatting for awhile and we will help you as you will help us.
This is a great thread, I think many of us are really getting someplace with this and it helps that we are encouraging each other!
We have a group of great people who are posting what is going on in their lives and we are working together. Sometimes I feel like our group is kind of like a mini dose of a WW meeting on a daily basis. We're making it work!
C'mon and join us and we'll help each other. We talk about what works and what doesn't work. We share recipes and we applaud and we sympathize!
Linda
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #2  

Good morning everyone!

I stepped on the scale this morning, and it was down to 217, which is 3lbs lower than Monday. I have been doing so good this week, and I feel so confident that I will continue to have a successful week!

Erica-WTG on the loss! You are getting so close to your goal! Congrats on the food show, too. I get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing other people eat food, too. It reminds me of an episode of "Kings of Queens" that had Kirstie Alley in it...she kept ordering food for Carrie (Lea Remedy) so that she could watch her eat. It sounds kind of weird now that I read that back over...lol! What kind of low fat cake did you make?

Linda-Sorry your WI didn't report a loss. It stinks when you are having that "thin" feeling and then, nothing. I'm sure that after you stick to plan this week, you will have a loss to report next week.

Laura-How are you doing?

Ann-Your WI is today? You mentioned you have been hungry for pizza, you should give making your own a try (if you don't already!!!) It is so much easier to control what goes on it and in it...when dh and I make ours, it is only 3.5 points per slice, which is very managable, and you can even have a few slices of it.

Gotta run...hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #3  

Unhappy Wednesday musings

Good job, Paige!
I do hope next week will be more reflective of how I feel, meaning that if I FEEL skinnier, perhaps the scale will reward me with a number that says I truly am skinnier. This morning I did something new and it forced me to get back on my treadmill. I have to drive my daughter to school so just get dressed and once I am dressed, it's hard to get into workout mode for me. Not sure why, but I feel like my day has begun already.
So, this morning, I put my workout outfit on and put a sweatshirt and PJ pants over top of it to drive her to school. I was already dressed in it, so getting on the treadmill was easier for me. Maybe it will inspire me to stick with it this week a bit more? I'm so ______ (can't even think of the right word, so use your imagination???) when it comes to exercise. I say I'm going to do it, I vow I will do it and I do try a few times a week but I find every excuse to NOT do it.
So, today, at least I did 1 and a quarter miles and watched the last half of American Idol that I had taped last night. I can't stay up late enough to watch the end, so sadly I don't get to vote either. Oh well. It's funny that the contestants the judges said were the best were not my favorites, though I appreciate they are very good. But, I think there are dozens of people out there with similar sounding voices and I get bored. I'm a big rock 'n roll kind of gal vs. ballads, though.
I wish, sometimes, that voting on that show was for the one you want off the most, that sure would make it interesting but a bit mean perhaps?
At any rate, back to weight loss stuff.....
I tried a new cereal this morning and threw out the rest of the box, that sure was a waste of money! It's called Uncle Sams. From what I read on the box, it's a CORE cereal so I figured I'd give it a shot. Eeewwww!!!! It was worse than eating cardboard. I ate about half of what was in my bowl and threw away the rest, and then the box went in the trash as well. I learned a lesson. I even went to their web site before tossing the box to see if there were recipes that would qualify as CORE that I could try so that I wouldn't waste all the cereal (it's expensive after all) and there was nothing I could make - so out it went.
Paige, I should go back and find your pizza crust recipe again, 3.5 points a slice is sounding pretty good to me. I need inspiration and some foods to comfort me today. How is it that on a day that I should be more inspired after yesterday's meeting that I am down and feeling like "blowing it", not good especially after our new challenge for the next 2 weeks. I guess I am just bummed as my scale and the WW scale differed so much this week. I just HAVE to use their scale and not mine as I know theirs are supposedly accurate. Yesterday's meeting, by the way, was about how emotions affect what we eat. Like if we are feeling hurt, what we really need is a hug and not food. When we are depressed, we need to do something positive and not go to the drive thru, right? Ha! When my dad was dying of cancer, every time I was on my way to see him I went to the drive thru and chocolate doughnuts were my best buddies, they did make me feel better temporarily, but the after affects are STILL on my body.
Getting back to my weight loss, or lack thereof, I did eat things I shouldn't eat this past week. I didn't count flex points as I know I should have and I have no clue if I truly blew it or not or if it was sodium, etc. My daughter also gained an entire pound this week, she was pretty unhappy too. I have to do better. It's time to re-study my materials, write it down and behave.
So, today is a learning day and I must regain my focus. I need to be good to myself. It's supposed to be very nice outside here in NH today and I should make myself get outside for a little bit, maybe?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #4  

Linda- Big hugs to you! You know blowing it isn't the right solution, but I know that sometimes it "feels" like it will be. It's hard to remember at the time how you are going to feel afterwards, but it's always the same. I always have that sinking feeling "UH, WHY DID I DO THAT?!" The satisfying feeling that eating gives is SO temporary (for me it's literally momentary) but the rewarding feeling that you have (I do anyway!) when I go to bed and know that I really, truly ate right is much more satisfying and lasting. For me, it carries over into the next day and gives me hope that I did it yesterday, so I know I can do it again today.

I'm writing this kind of laughing at myself...I feel like I'm not one to exactly give advice on it. This is the first week in months that I've been able to really stick to the plan and journal.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #5  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning everyone.
Linda a big hug to you, you help to keep us all motivated. I am very thankful for that.
Paige, what a good idea your recipe is, thank you. I will try it once I get home. That is awesome how well you are doing with your eating Paige. Great job.
Erica way to go on your loss. You will be a goal in no time. Congratulations on your success at the food show.
I lost 2.4 pounds today, that means I am .10 away from 50 pounds. I am going to have a pedicure once I lose that last .10 of a pound. I am so close.
Have a great day everyone and enjoy this beautiful weather.
Ann
Old 03-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #6  

OMG, ANN! .10 of a lb! You couldn't of gone to the bathroom or stripped a little more?! LOL! WAY TO GO!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #7  
newlifestyle

I know I asked is it okay if I go pee but she had already weighed me so she couldn't. I think it is a test of my patience....just kidding. I want to have a pedicure or a manicure once I lose 50 pounds, I have never had one. I did however go out shopping and bought myself clothes. that was fun and made me feel better. It was a great meeting though the people were wonderful. I think I truly am one of those people who needs meetings. This is like a meeting though and I need this thread.
Take Care all.
Ann
Old 03-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #8  

Hi all, I'm better tonight, but still feeling a bit down in the dumps. I did well with my eating today, at least. I journalled, I drank water, I stayed on program. I'm wanting a hot fudge sundae but I am not having one!
I had garden vegetable soup, a turkey burger patty and a sweet potato for lunch, pretty impressive when I wanted a gooey grilled cheese or pizza or something with carbs and fat content. I do want this kind of food right now and I kept right away from it today and even went on the treadmill. So, I'm holding my own.
I resisted. I was in control even though my mind was on some other hemisphere. There are going to be days like this again, I felt like (not even sure why to be honest) I was on some kind of run away roller coaster ride and that at any moment I would just lose it and dive my face into the fat and carbs.
Thanks for the hugs and concern, guys, that is what this thread is all about "Let's Support Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey". It's so true that some days one of us is up and the others help scrape you off the floor.
Tomorrow, I hope to be back on top of my game and then maybe one of you will have a bad day.
By the way, Ann, Dawny (where are you Dawny???) that was on this thread for a long time and has kind of lost her way used to have a joke about weigh in day and I used to laugh, but part of it is true. She would say that on weigh in days she would trim her nails and her toenails and make sure to shave her legs so as not to allow a single ounce to be on that scale that didn't have to be there! You know, I found myself actually trimming my own nails (didn't go as far as the rest of the stuff) yesterday morning making the excuse that I just needed to do that, but smiling and thinking of Dawny.
So, next week I hope to have a better weigh in and that all of these bad vibes will be banished!
Thanks and have a lovely evening!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Well good morning everyone,
Sorry I was pretty MIA yesterday. With nursery school, 4-H and birthday parties, the day went by way too fast. It is just pooring out there today, there is a lot of flooding in our area, thankfully we live on a hill!

Here is the cake that I made for my dd's b-day last night, ironically I got the recipe from a man in our WW meeting who has lost 125 pounds!!

Tropical Citrus Cake
1pkg. white or yellow cake mix
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges in light syrup
1 cup Egg beaters
1/4 cp. apple sauce
1 cont. (8 oz.) lite cool whip
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can (15 1/2 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice
Fresh strawberries and drained canned mandarin orage segments, optional
*Preheat oven to 350, coat 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray
*At low speed beat cake mix, oranges with syrup, egg beaters and applesauce 30 seconds.
*Increase speed to medium;beat 2 minutes.
*Pour batter into pan, bake 30-35 min. or until toothpick comes clean.
*Cool completely on rack.
*Combine topping, pudding mix and pineapple with juice, Spread over cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Garnish with fruit, if desired.
Makes 12-16 servings.

Typically when I have these birthday party dinners, they are not the healthiest. Dinner and cake afterwards would usually be something full of fat (but really yummy). It seems right now there are more and more of our family members who are just not at a good point with their weight/health. Last night I stuck to my guns and made a healthy meal for all, including the cake. I just wanted to set a good example. Normally I just put all of my efforts aside, in order to "enjoy the day", which I still do on occasion, but I guess it was just important for me to do something different last night.

Now with St. Patricks's Day this weekend, and dinner reservations already in place, I'm not making any promises.... it is a holiday that holds a lot of meaning and I mean deep emotional meaning for our family.... so will I be partaking in spirits and traditional foods? Most definitely!!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #10  

Linda- I've been wondering this for awhile now, why on CORE (with the exception of your flex points) do you journal? I'm just curious, because I wonder if it's something I should do from time to time. You've really inspired me to make a batch of the garden veg. soup. In fact, I thought of you while buying my cabbage the other day! While on CORE I've been struggling with "snack/mini-meal time". I've yet to have that soup while on CORE, what was I thinking? I think the most valuable thing that I've learned on this journey so far, is not the ability to have perfectly on program days, but the ability to "move on" from a "not so great day" or even "not so great part of the day". Whether it be a missed workout, a tough emotional (eating) day, or just a downright "pigout", there's no "Monday morning quarterbacking", it happened, it's over and move on from it. You've dealt with so much in the last year (I can't even begin to imagine), recovering from a "bad day" on WW is probably just small peanuts compared to what you've had to show strength in other areas. As far as the weigh-in went, that just stinks. You are somebody (at least I think) who is painfully honest with yourself as far as all this goes, so for you to go to your WI thinking you'd have a loss and then not have it, I would question the validity of the WW scale for this week, shrug it off (if you can) and look ahead to next week's weigh-in. Probably by the time you're reading this, you've moved way beyond...

Paige- wow, sounds like you are having a great week! What is different this week? Check out my previous post for cake recipe. Surely not the works of art that you are cranking out these days. If we lived closer, I would've definitely commissioned you to do the work for me! I'm sure with that recipe you could make it look beautiful.

Ann- I can't believe how close you are to losing 50 pounds!! That is awesome! When did you start all of this again? What a huge accomplishment! Do you have people in your life who are just complimenting you all along the way?

Anyone that I missed, hello and keep up all of you efforts!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #11  

Good rainy morning all! It's is going to be an interesting morning here as dh and I go enroll our older dd in kindergarten. Pretty soon she'll be getting on that bus...I'm going to be a nervous wreck!!!

Linda-Were you able to make it through the rest of yesterday ok? I hope so! I hope you have an easier day today.

Erica-The cake sounds great! Do you know the pts value per slice? I am bringing dessert for Easter, so I think I'll make this as well as a regular dessert, that way I won't be tempted to go for the full fat stuff.

I had my annual ob/gyn checkup last night, and mentioned my concerns about how my pms seems to be out of control. I had kind of gone back and forth about saying anything, because I thought maybe I just have bad pms! But the out of control eating part of it really throws me off (not to mention that I feel like it's hurting my relationship with my older dd...she's the one that seems to take the brunt of my up and down moods.) So the dr told me my options for a non medication solution are chasteberry fruit extract and calcium supplements, and if that doesn't work she wants me to try taking antidepressants during the time of the month when I'm getting the symptoms. Have any of you ever heard or tried the chasteberry extract? I had never even heard of it.

Anyway...gotta run...check with you all later!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #12  
newlifestyle

Good morning everyone.

Erica, I started with weight watchers on line June 2006. I have been slow and steady. I have not gained anything since I have started my journey. I have either maintained or lost. That is why for me I know it is a lifestyle change. I decided to go to the meetings because I felt I needed motivation. I wish I would have originally started with the meetings I find them much more effective than doing it on line, for me that is. I know I still have a far way to go and once in a while I feel as though I can't do it. I then come to this site and I am encouraged by all of you. I am not in a hurry as I know I did not put this weight on in one day, although it would be nice if it could go away in one day....ha ha.
I do feel good about my new lifestyle and I feel I can maintain it.
It sounds like you had a busy day yesterday. It also sounded like fun.
I must say, it sure sounds like you truly enjoy your life. That is great.
I hope it stops raining soon there.

Paige, you are doing awesome. Thanks for sharing it. It is helping to motivate me.

Linda, I am thinking of you this morning. I don't want to run on the treadmill today, but I know you would tell me to get out there and do it, so I am going to do it. Thank you for always inspiring me to go that extra step when I don't feel like it. I appreciate all of the encouragement you give to me.

Laura, Barb, Scalewatcher, and Haylo, and anyone else I missed,Hello and I hope your week goes well.
Have a great day everyone.
Take Care
Ann
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #13  
newlifestyle

Hi Paige, I guess we were posting at the same time. I have never heard of Chasteberry. I know there is something herbal some friends at work take. I will ask them what it is. It helps there mood during TOM.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #14  

Paige- this is going to sound terrible, but I just don't have the patience to calculate the points for that cake. I guess I figured about maybe 2 pts. per slice, but truthfully, I know that it's low in points, and everything in moderation anyways, right?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #15  

Erica, I think you did a fantastic job on the birthday dinner. I'm sure family members appreciated it, and even if they didn't, you did the right thing.
Now, St. Patrick's day....
I'm not Irish, but I used to date an Irish guy years ago and this day was like Thanksgiving or something in terms of it's importance to their family. They played Irish music and danced out in their back yard, which I thought was kind of odd, but it was a family tradition. Of course, the traditional corned beef, cabbage, soda bread and beer (probably green?) were served. I don't know if there are special desserts associated with the meal, you should tell us so we can learn.
However, when I evaluate the traditional "boiled dinner" as it's called in the Boston area, I do think lots of it are pretty healthy. The corned beef is high in sodium but if you have an average serving, it should be ok if you eat the lean portions. The potato, cabbage, turnip, and carrots (maybe parsnips?) that are in boiled dinner are also quite good for you, and CORE. However, I guess loading it all with butter is not a good thing, which is what I have always done with that particular meal. Maybe just for one day, you can forgive yourself? If you portion control a bit and I think a Guinness is only 2 points, you are pretty good. I would imagine an average slice of Irish Soda Bread is probably 2 - 3 points.
Let us know what else you will ordinarily serve and maybe we can all try to help with ideas. Of course, if you do Irish dancing, you certainly will burn off a few points!
Erica, wow two posts in a row. Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am painfully honest with myself, I guess I have always felt that with WW I just had to be honest with myself, why else do I go if I can't admit my faults and work on this. Interesting that you would say that the WW scales could be off, I was actually (in anger) saying that to myself.
Have they posted the turn off your cell phones signs at your centers, by the way? They have at my center and it says that they interfere with the accuracy of the scales. I wonder if that is so or not? I doubt it, it's probably more the case that cell phones ring in the middle of almost every meeting, of any kid and anywhere I go to nowadays. I hate that interruption. I always put mine on vibrate or turn it off in meetings, but some people either forget or are not as considerate?
Oh, Erica, I journal when I am "in trouble" not all the time on CORE. Journaling "freshens" my efforts and writing everything down really gets me back in the swing. Especially where I didn't have a loss this week, I consider myself "in trouble" and also if you add our little competition to the equation - I do have a competitive streak in me and I can't compete against someone who is on FLEX if I am truly not doing CORE perfectly? I want to truly see who loses the most weight in 2 weeks time, but I do realize we are from all different walks of live and have different conditions, ages and body types so it's not a scientific thing, but just for fun. If I write everything down for a change, it truly reminds me to be a "good girl" and maybe I have not been as good as I could have been? This is actually true, I think, but if I am not writing things down, how can I know for sure?
I have tried just counting flex points, on CORE, and that isn't always the best either for me as I just plain lose track and forget. I am am writing down everything, I know for sure what I am doing.
I used 4 flex points yesterday. With 35 a week and if I use 4 per day, that gives me 28 and leaves me with an extra 7 points for eating out on Saturday night. If I am careful to track, I know what I can and can't indulge in. If I am careful to use only 2 or 3 points on a few days, I can have even a better situation going into the weekend. It's not uncommon for us to eat our more than once during a weekend as well. I always presume that I will have non-CORE foods at restaurants, though I can be awfully good at certain places.
Paige, Ah, I remember the day my son went on that school bus (and daughter) for the first time. I followed the bus to school and met him as he got off the bus (and her) for the first few days and escorted her to her classroom. Then, a few days later, I stopped going. I cried each time my kids went off on that bus without me, it was both scary and symbolic. AND, my son came off the bus and said his first swear words in front of me, the very first day! That surely was an eye opener, no more babies.
I swear the bigger kids have this "swearing in" ritual just to "get" the parents? Oh well, they learn sometime.
Paige, I have heard of chasteberry extract. I think you should also be taking B complex, calcium with vitamin D, Evening Primrose Oil (an essential oil!) as well as drinking raspberry herbal tea. You might want to try Ginseng and St. Johns Wort. I study herbal cures/remedies and have several books on it. In "my next life", I'd love to be an herbalist or a doctor, but I am far to old to go back to school and really don't have the time/energy for all that stuff. So, it's fun to say "in my next life", I guess.
I also read up on things like depression on line, one article I read on a web site was indicating that one of the leading causes of depression was B and D vitamin deficiencies. I take B complex and calcium (with D) twice a day as well as Ginseng and St. Johns Wort. All of those are natural substances that I feel truly help me cope with daily life. St. Johns is supposed to help lift the spirits and Ginseng gives a positive attitude and energy.
I was on antidepressants (prozac) around the time my parents were ill/dying and it did help me, but I just don't want to be on things like that permanently and also the cost was amazing, even with medical insurance. My TOM was stopping at the same time I was losing mom and dad and I was kind of a mess, hence the huge weight gain and my spirits were low. I am so much better now in comparison and have a handle on my weight, finally, though am not at goal.
Getting outdoors, eating right and exercise are also key. You may find you need something to help combat PMS, but you might want to try a natural approach first. I'm glad you are going to the kind of doctor who suggests natural or herbal things before writing a prescription for mind altering drugs. You might need those temporarily, though, and there is nothing wrong with taking them, but it's better to try a more natural approach first! I'm glad I had those drugs temporarily in my life and I think they helped me, but life is truly good and I hated "admitting defeat" by taking something and as soon as I felt mentally "able" I cut back and then stopped. I'd rather use herbs, eat well and take care of myself naturally. I often wondered what that stuff truly does to you and if anyone really knows for sure.
I just looked up a web site and you might want to read this:
http://depression.about.com/cs/altme...rnatives_2.htm
I also take Black Cohosh and Soy, which are supposed to help with hot flashes. All of these supplements have been discussed with my own OB/GYN and I get cheers and encouragement nowadays. I may have 2 or 3 hot flashes in a day nowadays, but it's darn better than 30 or 40 and waking up covered with sweat. I feel safer and more positive. After reading a great deal, PMS and Menopausal symptoms are really awfully similar and when PMS starts getting really bad, it's at a time when your hormone levels fluctuate a great deal, leading up to that lovely "change of life" time, but you have a very long way to go!
Ann, you are so sweet to say that I inspire you! I think the rest of you inspire me - guess that is why we found each other and cling to this message board. We can be honest with each other.
If I had eaten a candy bar yesterday (I was close!) and confessed, you all would have totally understood.
I feel SO much better today than yesterday, it could also be that I am happier as my husband is coming home tonight. That is always good for me, he's a humorous guy and keeps me smiling.
Well, also, today is my Thursday quilt group and I love the ladies. We spend one morning a week (it's gotta be therapy!) sitting around, chatting and drinking coffee. We sew/quit/knit and share our lives. It's a wonderful thing to have in my life and I am thankful.
Closed Thread