Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Has anyone done Master Cleanser?

This is that water/lemon juice/maple syrup/cayenne pepper thing that you might have heard about. It is based on a book written by a guy named Stanley Burroughs. There is a lot more to it than just drinking this mix, there are other things you are supposed to take with it. It is really a detoxifier but of course it is great that you lose weight with it. You drink this drink for 10 days and then gradually add in other foods. I'm not sure what, there is more info on the web if you want to google it. I'm interested in hearing from people who have actually done the whole thing from start to finish. I'm NOT going to do it myself so please don't anyone comment that I am killing myself by doing this because I'm NOT going to do it. My husband is working with a guy that has been seeing a naturopath and he has been doing the program for several weeks and I am just wondering what others have experienced doing it. There is no way I could do this because my understanding this that there is a lot of running to the bathroom with it and with my job there's no way I'd be able to spend that much time in the bathroom!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

I'm glad your not doing it. I just have one question why would anyone do something that unhealthy to their body?
Eat healthy and exercise. Your body does not want to run to the bathroom all day.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Sorry, Jen, I don't mean to blast you, but WOW! That's a pretty crazy plan. People keep looking for this magic fix because they want immediate, easy results obtained by hitting this special, secret magic button, when if they'd stopped chasing that futile (and money-wasting) dream and improved their eating habits and exercised, they could have been losing weight all along. Stanley still makes his money. It's sad.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Sounds gross, too!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

My friend has done it... many times. She does it once a year. She is slim to begin with. She does not do it to lose weight but to clean out toxins in her body. She will lose weight on it.. but goes back to her regular weight. It is not meant for weight lose but for cleansing.
I personally would not do it.. .. mostly because I don't care what toxins are in my body.. I'm not giving up food for 10 days!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've done it, and a different cleanse as well. It's SO frustrating to hear people bash them when they've done wonderful things for me. I do NOT have IBS symptoms anymore, I was diagnosed with Intercystial Cystitis, Vestibulitis and Endometriosis, I was in SO much pain, I had constant yeast infections, not to mention the bladder infections. My doctor couldn't do anything but put me on pills for the rest of my life - costing me 100 dollars a month - again, for the rest of my life. I didn't want to pay that, and didn't want to be taking pills forever. However, with the help of the same doctor I did a cleanse and sustain the eating for over a year and now I have no symptoms. It's definitely not for weight loss, but a cleanse can do amazing things for a sick body. And yes - I did just try cutting out bad foods. For 5 months I ate completely clean - it did nothing.

I'm sorry to go off - but doing a cleanse really worked for me. And I don't think it's fair to say that doing a cleanse is a bad thing when it's all about the intentions, if you do a cleanse for weight loss it won't work in the long term.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #7  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I think people assume cleanse - diet and they are 2 different things. I don't do them, but my mother did. She wasn't trying to lose weight. She felt every now and again the body needed a good cleaning out. If you happen to lose weight great, but I don't think they are the main purpose.

[QUOTE=SwimGirl;
I'm sorry to go off - but doing a cleanse really worked for me. And I don't think it's fair to say that doing a cleanse is a bad thing when it's all about the intentions, if you do a cleanse for weight loss it won't work in the long term.

-Aimee[/QUOTE]
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Aimee, I'm glad that it's helped you with your health problems. I wasn't bashing it for that purpose, but for weight loss, which is what I think most people are going for when they do these cleanses/fasts.....case in point, in Jen's original post she referred to it being "great that you lose weight with this." (Sorry to call you out like that, Jen, but you brought it up! )

Cleansing and weight loss are completely separate intentions. People have been fasting for centuries and there are both physical and spiritual benefits to be had from this practice.....but it sure as heck is not an advised weight loss approach!

I guess I'm saying, "Got toxins?" Do the cleanse! (And also look at what you're ingesting.) But, "Got fat?" The cleanse is not your answer.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #9  
Bek

S/C/G: 204/159/139

Essentially, this is a controlled fast. People have been doing fasts for hundreds of years. I've done it in the distant past, and felt great afterwards. My 70 yr old mother did something called the Gall Bladder cleanse, which included lemon juice and olive oil. I was a bit skeptical when she told me about it, not worried about her health or anything, just not convinced of the benefits. You should have seen her afterwards. Her eyes were amazing clear, bright, and she felt great. I'd say if the human body can withstand living on fast food, it can surely withstand living on maple syrup and cayenne pepper for a few days.
Bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I never thought that this was primarily a way to lose weight, it is just a great side benefit. It was always my understanding that it was a detoxification program. Primarily I posted because I wanted comments from people who have actually done it and know what the program is all about (thank-you Aimee). I know I had the same thoughts as most of you when I first heard about this from my husband who was telling me about what his co-worker and his wife were doing (following this program, seeing a naturopath) but I wanted to get informed information from people that have actually done this or something similar.

Has anyone been to a naturopath, what was your experience if you are willing to share it?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #11  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I plan to do the Master Cleanse one day, hopefully this year. I also plan to do the liver/gallbladder cleanse. I've heard great things about both.

I'm starting to be a believer in natural cures and remedies. The doctors/hospitals/drug companies do not want to cure you. They want to make you comfortable by prescribing a pill that you need to repurchase ($$$) for the rest of your life. There is no money in the cure.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My personal philosophy is if you want to do a cleanse, then do it with natural foods. I've looked at the master cleanse and personally, I don't care for it but that is my personal preference.

I will say that eating more whole foods has helped me immensely. I used to have daily stomach issues. I took pepto bismal on almost a daily basis. This went on for years. When I started cleaning up my diet, those issues did go away. I try to stay towards natural foods and foods with minimal processing.

My only advice before you try something is to do the research, good and bad. I don't think the master cleanse would be harmful (unless you have insulin issues) but that doesn't mean it would be helpful either.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

I've seen a naturalpath, so has my mom and brother. I think you have to go with an open mind, they say some stuff that makes you not so happy. For example my mom was told not to have wheat, who wants to hear THAT?! My brother was told he had a vitamin B deficit and once he started taking it daily it gave him a lasting energy. The naturalpath we all saw really believes in the "Eat Right for you Blood Type" book, I checked it out and incorporate lots of their ideas into my diet. Is it worth the money? Depends on how bad your health is. It definitely costs a pretty penny!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #14  

I've fasted many, many times and I LOVE the health that comes with it. Master Cleanse is just like a fast, maybe even a little stronger. There is nothing wrong with either, as long as you can handle the no food part. Some people just can't. In that case, go veggie-fruit for a while. You'll get a similiar effect, but it just takes a lot longer.
LivingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRevealed View Post
The doctors/hospitals/drug companies do not want to cure you. They want to make you comfortable by prescribing a pill that you need to repurchase ($$$) for the rest of your life. There is no money in the cure.
I don't know if it's fair to paint all doctors and hospitals with the same brush. Similarly, aren't their many alternative practictioners who make their living on repeat business?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote