Old 03-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #1  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

Question Another newbie with questions

I signed up for LA weight loss 2 weeks ago and I'm down about 5 lbs so far. In reading these threads I'm finding that there's lot's about the program that wasn't explained to me. Red, blue, purple? What's that? LA Online? What's the website? If I go to laweightloss.com it's just the generic blurb.

I've read some posts from bizlawchick??? which had a good explanation of the program in general. I am not buying the supplements or the LA Lites. I actually signed up for the program thinking you didn't need to buy anything extra and they sprang that on me after I signed. I'm happy with the diet so far though being someone who eats out a lot I'm finding it hard to do all this cooking. This too shall pass

Has anyone found a protein bar at the store similar to what they are selling? I don't know what the breakdown is as far as nutrients go. I know they say the most successful people use the bars but if I'm not overeating I don't see how that can be possible. Thats 300-400 calories per day I'm not adding.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

Since they know you are not doing the bars, they have put you on a plan taking that in to consideration. so yes if you were to add bars to it, it would be too much.
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #3  

What color is your Menu Plan Kit? It will determine whether you're on Blue, Purple, Gold or Red. I think it's depending on what weight you are at and how much you work out. I don't work out at all (but does climbing stairs at work all day count as exercise?) and I'm 180 and less so I'm on Gold with Lites or Purple without Lites. Center said I couldn't go back and forth, but I'm not having any problems with the weight loss. I didn't buy any of their Bars or supplements, which is why they put me on Purple (higher Protein weights and one extra serving of Veggies per day than the Gold plan from 12/06)

Comparable protein bars - Luna is the closest I've found. You can find them at Trader Joe's or other health food stores, or at Sam's Club (for now - does anyone know how long the Luna Bars have been at Sam's Club? I'm thinking about a membership just for the Luna Bars since I'm a member of Costco)

Hope this helps!
Unmei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:10 AM   #4  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome,
Like was said, the color plans are based on your height, weight, medical issues, exercise,whether you do the lites or not, etc. Most times, as you go down in weight, you need to decrease your food intake, so you change color plans. The centers won't go into all that with you until you are ready to change plans, then you get the new info for your new plan.

LA online is a way to do the program solely online or along with going to the center. You have to pay to use it. It's usually $99 a year if you do it with your center or I think $14 a week if you just do the online program. It is not available in all areas, if your center didn't tell you about it then they may not have access to it.

As far as the bars go, they don't make the program more successful. That is mostly just a way to get you to buy the bars. Several chicks on here do the program without the bars with great success. I do the lites because I crave sweets and the bars help curb my sweet tooth.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #5  
LAWL Salt Police

Deb,
I would disagree with you slightly about the bars.. In my case, and with the case of many others, the bars really do help with the program.. They keep me from going to the vending machine between breakfast and lunch as well as between lunch and dinner.

So if you look at it that way, it makes the program more successful in dealing with my lack of willpower when it comes to snacks.. Most days, an extra apple or orange just don't cut it for me as a "guilty pleasure".

That all said, There are non-plan bars out there that are cheaper and do just the same thing, so by no means do you HAVE to buy the LA bars.

Did that make any sense?
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

My advice: You will find a lot of information on these boards. A LOT. Sometimes it's too much for a newbie. Some of it will conflict with what you've been told, and some of it they will tell you as you move along. Take this time to learn your plan. Commit to it 100%. Do exactly as they tell you at your COD. If it differs from what you've seen here, ask them about it. All of the information from the COD and from here can be overwhelming at first. Trust the program and get used to it. Then you can worry about the other stuff.

As far as the bars, they range from 160-180 calories. The drinks are around 60-80 calories. You can see from the newbie thread that Luna bars and Kashi crunchy are the closest. I think the Special K protein Meal Bars (not the snack ones) are pretty close too.

Welcome and good luck!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #7  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Ok, I went back and read what I wrote and it did come out a little different than what I was trying to say. I bought into the whole program when I signed up, I paid for my weeks and I bulked on the lites. I have no regrets, although after a year, I do get tired of the same bars day after day, so I do eat the lunas on occasion and there are several times I just do all food, with just as much success.

Dan, I understand where you are coming from and that is the reason I do the bars, because I am a snacker, but there are a lot of people that don't do the LA bars with great successs. Evette is one shining example, Katie is another great example. If you don't have a sweet tooth, then an all food plan is the best. But I don't fall into the hype that you cannot succeed without the bars, they are not some magic pill that makes the weight fall off, and if a counselor tells you this, then they are just giving you the sales pitch they are trained to. I was going off of the comment that the most successful people use the bars. Of course the centers are not going to tell you about the successful people that don't use the bars. Everybody's body is different and therefore one thing is not going to work for every person. Do what works for you and what is right for your body. Some people have been known to gain while using the bars and then when they quit using them, the weight drops faster, so each to his/her own.

Last edited by MTdebster921; 03-12-2007 at 02:44 PM.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #8  

One other thought on the "most successful people use bars". Maybe, if there is any truth behind it, it is not because of the bars, but because they have bought into the program and committed 100%. Not to say that those who don't do bars aren't committed (especially those with medical issues), but what I'm trying to say is that those that just do the program instead of fighting it and trying to bend the rules, are the ones who are the most successful. But that is true with any program. Did that make sense?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #9  

Speaking of bars....... OMG!!!!!! I just put a s'mores LA Lite Bar in the mirowave for about 25 seconds!!!! I thought I was camping. that has got to be the yummiest thing I have eaten in 7 days! Meltie yummy chocolate-y and marshmellow-y...... wow., those who are using the bars you must try it..........

but any way back to the bar vs no bars. I feel they keep my cravings at bay. and in between meals I will find myself lurking around the kitchen thinking, "I wish I could snack on something" and then all of a sudden it hits me I CAN HAVE A BAR! then I stay OP but get a treat and I don't get hungry in between meals. It makes it much easier for me. the first time around I tried to do it without the bars but I kept sneeking other foods in between meals and then it just didn't work. but like you all said, it doesn't have to be LAWL's bars. But like Cassi said it reminds me of my commitment to stay OP so I am sticking to it 100%

Now GO EAT A WARM S'MORES!!!!

Lettie
Old 03-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #10  
LAWL since 2/07

Thank you all for the information. I do find that the more I read out here the more I learn. I picked up some go lean bars but I'm not sure I'm going to need them. This seems to be a lot of food right now even though the calories are pretty low. I do crave sugar at night though so I'll probably slip one in then if need be. Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #11  

SMJezzy - Glad we could help, but... Very important to eat all of your food. You either need to do two bars a day or be switched to an all food plan. Your body needs the calories or it will go into starvation mode. Then you will plateau and not lose and get frustrated. You need to do the plan as written, whether with or without the bars.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #12  
LAWL since 2/07

I will ask them about it next time I go in. They have not mentioned that as an option and seem bound and determined that I'm going to do the bars. As I mentioned I bought those Kashi ones from the grocery store so I could incorporate those if need be but I'm having trouble getting in all the food they want me to eat as is it. I do agree about the calories though -I've been tracking thru ***********.com and I struggle to get in 1200 calories a day. I just need to work thru these initial kinks and get a good routine going. I'm used to eating out and not ever preparing meals so it's been an adjustment. I appreciate all the help and info and I will certainly talk more openly to them this next visit. I'm armed with some knowlege now so that will help.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #13  

One of the things a lot of us did and do when new to the plan is to save up your exchanges for later in the day. Like we need a starch after dinner before bed, and a lite, and a fruit. But you don't eat an adequate breakfast. You'll learn how to break things up, but make sure you are distributing your exchanges throughout the day, starting with breakfast. And the "having trouble getting your exchanges in" will pass. Trust me! (What I wouldn't give for an extra starch these days) LOL
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #14  

Boy I can vouch for that. I wasn't real hungry when I got up this morning and I needed to go weigh in so I only ate a half cup of yogurt for breakfast. I haven't gotten caught up all day. I have been slightly hungry. All the other days I have had a big breakfast, a decent lunch and a small supper and have gotten through the day fine, and woke up ready to eat again. Now it is only 6 pm and I am done with my food for the day and still want to eat! I think I will go to bed early!

Lettie
Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #15  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Lettie.......you crack me up. I go to bed early sometimes so I don't eat as well. I do think it is good to get your bigger meals in early in the day. My old family doctor told me that if we all ate like the farmers used to eat, none of us would be fat....big breakfast......midday large dinner......and a lite evening supper. I try to do that........but somedays it just doens't work out. Maybe we ought to start a new challenge when the 6 weeker is over............we can call it a "cereal for dinner challenge "
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote