General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #1  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

Question childhood puberty question

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry to ask this here and I HOPE I don't offend anyone...that is NOT my intention...I've searched the web and can't find what i'm looking for.

My daughter is 11 1/2 yrs old....has started early puberty....she told and showed me tonight that one side of her "private parts" is pretty swollen.... isn't this just normal puberty? it's been soooooooooo long since I went through this myself...I just want to make sure...I will call her doctor if that's what I need to do...she's just terrified at the thought of being "checked"

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #2  
resident lactivist

I'll throw back to you that I don't want to sound rude...

You need to try to work your daughter through her issues with being examined, the sooner the better. I know that gynecological examinations can be embarassing for grown women, but I also know that a lot of "female problems" go undiagnosed & untreated for just that reason. You can look for a female doctor for her if she thinks that will help, and if your insurance allows for it, take her to an actual gynecologist instead of her family doctor for any problems that may crop up in the future. It's all business to the doctor, yk? Some of the most seemingly innocuous infections can lead to real problems if left untreated, and you want her comfortable to go to a doctor when necessary (she's already coming to you, which is great!).

OK, off my soapbox now.

If she isn't having any pain or redness to go along with the swelling, then it's probably just one of those things. Have her check for things like ingrown hairs & feel her labium carefully in case she's got a cyst or something. (Which I think is unlikely.)

Now, it is perfectly normal even in grown women for one side to be fuller than the other, and this may well be a forerunner of that. But if she has any real worry, then it's better safe than sorry, and perhaps a chat with a gynecologist could help ease any other concerns she has.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #3  
It's up to me this time!

Thank you for your response....i've made an appointment with her Pediatrician for next Wednesday...we'll start there since she is so familiar with her....then get a recommendation for a GYN that deals with such a young age. It doesn't look like a cyst or anything going on there but as you said....better safe than sorry ;-)
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

My DD had to get checked once when she was very young and was petrified of the thought, but doctors nowadays are extremely professional about this and the mother stays in the room with the child. My DD was not traumatised by the examination at all. Get your daughter checked.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #5  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

It's really not that early, IMO. I had breasts in 5th grade and a period the summer between 5th and 6th grades. I had just turned 11. I think I've read that puberty is starting younger, though when puberty hit me 18 years ago, I certainly was one of the younger ones.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #6  
Addicted to potato salad!

My DD started her period when she was 9 and in the fourth grade! The school nurse said it was rare, but not totally unusual. Good thing was that when she got into middle school, she was already a pro at the whole thing and didn't have the stress of wondering when it would happen to her and the other girls looked to her for advice when they got there's.

Let us know how your DD makes out!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #7  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

I was also 9 and in 4th grade when I got my period.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I guess I misunderstood the question... When you say private parts do you mean her breast or pubic area? If her breast are getting swollen that is totally normal for sure...

I too started in grade 4, 9 years old and so did my DD ... But now I'm 50 and haven't had a period in 2 years ... My thinking is that I started early and finished early? But I'm not sure that is totally true though...
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #9  
It's up to me this time!

Hi Ilene,

I meant her pubic area...i'm sorry for the confusion.

Thanks to everyone for your input....this is the why I love this place...you can ask almost anything and get some really good advice.

I can't remember all of this from when I went through puberty...it was a really long time ago. I know my mother wasn't one of those that talked to her daughters about anything going on in our bodies. I am very grateful and extremely happy that she can come to me with this concern and she knows she can come to me with anything and we will get it taken care of.

thank you again ;-)
Closed Thread