Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Thai Food

I'm going to a Thai Resturant tomorrow with a friend of mine. I was wondering if anyone had any healthy menu suggestions. I use to get chicken pad thai but I realize that is a very unhealthy choice.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

oohhhh...i don't know...but i'll keep an eye on the post since i LOVE thai food also. Great question!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #3  

I usually get something my local restaurant calls "Buddha's Feast". It's a big platter of mixed vegetables, sauteed with a broth-like spicy sauce with lots of garlic and ginger, and is really nice with a little bit of rice. You have to like veggies, though, LOL!! I love 'em, so it makes a nice meal for me.

Satay isn't too bad if you stick to chicken, and ask them to put the sauce on the side (the sauce is loaded with fat and calories - not all of them bad, but restaurants tend to douse the satay with the sauce, and you can save yourself a lot of calories if you dip or drizzle yourself).
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #4  
stbakd

try checking the web for nutrtion values. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Try grilled beef salad (yam neua), fried rice with pineapple (Kho Pad Sapparot) if you can get them to make it with brown rice, Hot and Sour Shrimp soup (Tom Yum Goong), or Thai Seafood Salad (Yum Talay).
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

When I go out to my local thai place, I get thai pepper stir fry with steamed tofu - tofu chunks, bell peppers, snow peas, and some other veggies stir-fried and served in a broth sauce. A little bit of rice and it is HEAVEN.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

One restaurant we go to serves a delicious seafood soup that is broth based. It has a lot of fresh mushrooms in it. I love it! I don't know the nutritional values but since there is no coconut milk, only broth, I can't imagine that it is too unhealthy.

Watchout for coconut milk. That stuff really sabbotages your efforts.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #8  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm a soup lover and could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner so I normally get one of the thai noodle soups with chicken. I just make sure the broth is chicken and that the chicken in the soups is not breaded/fried. This way the worst thing about is the noodles (which I generally can't finish) and there's probably too much sodium but all in all it's a giant bowl of soup and it makes me very happy!

Let us know what you had!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love green curry although I don't know if I'd call it healthy but you can always portion control if nothing else.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I love soup but am allergic to seafood so that wasn't an option.

I'm curious about the tofu stirfry. I don't know if I have ever had tofu. Does it just pick up the seasoning of the rest of the dish.

I ended up ordering Cashew Chicken. It was similar to what I get when I go for chinese, excpet the sauce was a lot thinner and spicer. I wanted to get a curry dish but they all had coconut milk They have a to-go menu so I grabbed one on my way out of the door so that I could look at without making my friend wait while I attemt to determine nutrition information. This way I can be better prepared.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
One restaurant we go to serves a delicious seafood soup that is broth based. It has a lot of fresh mushrooms in it. I love it! I don't know the nutritional values but since there is no coconut milk, only broth, I can't imagine that it is too unhealthy.

Watchout for coconut milk. That stuff really sabbotages your efforts.
Actually, the nutritionists have yet again changed their opinion--coconut oil is now a "good" fat. All the studies done back in the '80's that said coconut oil clogged your arteries and did other horrible things to your body were based on hydrogenated coconut oil, i.e. trans-fat. Although coconut oil is a saturated fat, it is composed of medium-chain fatty acids rather than long-chain fatty acids as most other saturated fats are. Therefore, it is metabolized differently.

Check the shelves at your health food store. It now carries coconut oil.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, coconut oil may be relatively healthy, but the CALORIES are ridiculous. So if you're a calorie counter, you really have to watch it, regardless of whether it is healthy or not...sort of like cashews. Healthy fats? sure! But you can still eat 200 cals without even realizing, so you have to watch it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Oh, coconut oil may be relatively healthy, but the CALORIES are ridiculous. So if you're a calorie counter, you really have to watch it, regardless of whether it is healthy or not...sort of like cashews. Healthy fats? sure! But you can still eat 200 cals without even realizing, so you have to watch it.
Boy! You said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
Actually, the nutritionists have yet again changed their opinion--coconut oil is now a "good" fat. All the studies done back in the '80's that said coconut oil clogged your arteries and did other horrible things to your body were based on hydrogenated coconut oil, i.e. trans-fat. Although coconut oil is a saturated fat, it is composed of medium-chain fatty acids rather than long-chain fatty acids as most other saturated fats are. Therefore, it is metabolized differently.

Check the shelves at your health food store. It now carries coconut oil.
I know, but again, I have to come back to calories. Also, aren't the carbs high in that stuff?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeberHowToSmile View Post
They have a to-go menu so I grabbed one on my way out of the door so that I could look at without making my friend wait while I attemt to determine nutrition information. This way I can be better prepared.
Good luck with that. I have tried that with some places and found it frustrating because I didn't know quantities. I guess I'll have to be more patient with myself.