Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #1  

Default healthy Pizza?

Every couple of months (or less) my girlfriends and I order pizza and have a night in/watch movies, haha I assume we are trying to live our Jr. High Sleep over days again, but anyway. Does anyone know where the healthiest place to order pizza is from, like a thin crust veggie is not terrible right? And has anyone tried diffent chains pizza and have a favorite for thin veggie?
Elizabeth04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It might pay to look around at your local chains. We have a local chain here in Maryland that has absolutely delicious pizza with a nonfat crust and nonfat sauce. I read the recipe for Pizza Hut crust not too long ago and it called for a cup of oil. That is crazy.

The place I go to does an amazing veggie pizza with broccoli.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I tried to post earlier but the internet gods ate it.

I like papa murphy's thin crust (but with the normal sauce), I don't like dominoes thin crust. Both are significantly reduced calorie from their thincrust counterparts.

Beware some places also replace the sauce with "lo-carb" sauce...ask what is in it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

We make our own homemade pizza every Wednesday. You can make up most of it ahead of time. (fry up beef, cut veggies, shread cheese etc) It's fun.. cheap and you know exactly what you are eating
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Hi Elizabeth,

Where do you live? Every place has differant choices...I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada...but definately do some research! I accidently stumbled upon a company called New Way Pizza...their pizzas are made with whole wheat crusts and low-fat cheese. I really like their veggie variety because it comes with a TON of vegetables and just enough cheese, instead of smothered.

Another company that I order from is Panago...they have a multigrain crust. I like their vegetarian varieties, but not so much the shrimp...and they also have a soy pepperoni pizza.

A few days ago, my boyfriend and I tried the lobster pizza at Red Lobster. I have no idea what the nutritionals are for it, but it was VERY thin crust (pita syle), and very yummy. I know that they don't deliver, though. However, on the subject of eating at the mall/a resturaunt and thinking of choices for a thin crust, healthy pizza, Extreme Pita does individual pizzas on whole wheat pitas.

Instead of ordering in...have you thought of trying Lean Cuisine individual pizzas?

Explore calorie counts, for sure...and try asking for less cheese, and blotting before you eat to soak up extra fat.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think make-your-own pizza night would fit right into the slumber party theme. Pitas (regular and whole wheat) make perfect single serving crusts, Tortillas do too, though the "crust" is much thinner and can get soggy with too much sauce. Jars of spaghetti, pizza, barbecue, salsa or alfredo sauce. Diced cooked chicken (tyson makes some pre-cooked chicken chunks), peperoni, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and fine shredded cheese (so it goes a lot further if you want to go light on the cheese) or reduced fat cheese (I also like dry curd 1% cottage cheese on pizza, if I can find it).

My husband and I do this alot. We sometimes by frozen thin crust pizza crusts from a home baking and bake-your-own store (all sorts of frozen baked goods, seasonings, and dry goods).

This worked well for us when only I was dieting (he would add all the gooey toppings) and now that we both are (but have different tastes).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I don't like dominoes thin crust.
Funny, I don't like it either. Ya may as well eat the box it came in.

As for ordering out pizza, just do some research, like the others have said. If I can't find any information, I just use common sense when ordering. Thin crust is cheaper on calories than regular or thick. I stick with ordering mostly just vegetables, but if I want meat I get leaner meats, like ham or canadian bacon. I stay away from pepperoni and sausage. And I usually tell them "easy on the cheese."

My favorite thin-crust veggie pizza is Donatos.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I think a make-your-own pizza night sounds great. I use Boboli whole-wheat ready-made crusts so all you do is throw on some toppings and toss in the over for just 8-10 minutes--that's less time than I would spend waiting for the delivery guy! Plus, making your own, you know EXACTLY what is on it and how much, so you don't have to hope that the calorie count on the website is accurate and that Joe Schmoe in the pizza shop didn't add an extra 2 handfuls of cheese or something
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

When I make my own pizza, I use 1/2 of whole wheat pita bread as my crust. I cut it in 1/2 so I am left with 2 circles. It gets nice and crispy, real good. I put on a little fat free marinara sauce, some low fat shredded cheese and lots of veggies. Like sliced onions and red peppers. Very, very easy as well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Trader Joes also carries a whole wheat pizza crust which you can roll your own. I really like going to my pizza place because it is an experience but I have made my own in the past.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

This is kind of off topic, but since you have the sleepovers regularly, another fun interactive meal (if you get tired of pizzas) are stir fries. When I worked with a bunch of people who got together frequently to socialize, we would do stir-fry parties. We even took it to the campground once (using the non-stick wok I brought over a campfire was a bit of a challenge - the cast iron skillet a friend brough worked better).

You can provide the fixings or ask everyone to bring something. With a really big party, we asked everyone to bring 1/2 lbs of meat or seafood, and two vegetables sliced and ready to stir fry. With smaller stir fry parties the host would provide the meat, and everyone was asked to bring a couple ziploc bags of sliced veggies (I usually brought the stir fry sauces, because I was the stir fry fanatic, but a single good soy, teriyaki, or stir fry sauce is all you really need).

We would stir fry in batches big enough for everyone to try some, but small enough that we could make a few batches for variety.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #12  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

a freind of mine had really bad athsma and used to bring soy cheese into a pizzaria, give it to them and they would make him pie with it. if you wanted to buy some low or non fat cheese before and i don't see why they wouldn't use it?
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #13  

I second the idea of using pita bread as a base to make your own pizza - I love making pizza this way! We use whole wheat pitas, and they bake up very well...crunchy and sturdy enough for the toppings. I, too, like knowing exactly what's on my pizza, and the pita pizzas really do taste delicious.

I like to add sliced cooked chicken breast to my pizza - in a pinch you could pick up a rotisserie chicken and take the breast meat off that. With some fresh mozzarella, red onions, mushrooms, red peppers, and a healthy grinding of fresh pepper, it's a real treat.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #14  
it's always something

I also love using pita as a quick pizza base. I also make my own pizza crust when I want to make a larger one. I don't like regular pizza. I don't use pizza sauce, pepperoni, and rarely even use mozzarella cheese. I like to top mine with goat cheese, roasted garlic, roasted red peppers, wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and a light drizzle of olive oil.

Colleen, your stir fry party sounds fun!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
03-09-2007 03:21 PM
Suzanne 3FC I also love using pita as a quick pizza base. I also make my own pizza crust when I want to make a larger one. I don't like regular pizza. I don't use pizza sauce, pepperoni, and rarely even use mozzarella cheese. I like to top mine with goat cheese, roasted garlic, roasted red peppers, wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and a light drizzle of olive oil.

Colleen, your stir fry party sounds fun!
I was just browsing for a "healthy" pizza crust recipe for my husband! I'm getting him a pizza stone for an anniversary gift, he knows and he is getting excited! Would you be able to post yours or have you already?? I'll have to go looking......
Thanks!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote