Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 06:11 PM   #1  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Smile A new kind of a Challenge for us all!

Hi Everyone~~I'm Marlana, and I've been writing on this support board for a while now. I'm having one heck of a problem getting control of my food. I've got control of the food and lost weight only to turn around and gain it back. I want to find a way to change that. I joined this board right after I got a computer, and the truth is I let the computer take over the part of my life that food didn't already consume. My Sister mentioned to me over the week end that we should make a contract with each other about the food we eat. That got me to thanking. When I make a commitment to someone I will kill myself before I would break that commitment. I don't mean a commitment not to eat, I would most likely break that one. BUT....I seem to be unable to make a commitment to myself and keep it. If I ask you who is the most important person in your life, undaughtly you would name loved ones. That is really not true, your the most important person in you own life. I've never thought about putting myself first in anything, it's always someone else. I feel like it's time to learn to keep a commitment to myself. I will speak in first person, and maybe you can identify with some of what I'm saying. When I'm into food I don't function well at all. I put things off that I should be doing, and that makes me unhappy. When I'm unhappy I eat, which makes me unhappy too. I happen to believe that in order to get my food in order I must get other things in my life worked out too. By that I mean the little things as well as the big ones. For instance...I might know at 8:00 in the morning that I'm out of milk and I need milk for the next morning. Instead of going to the store during the day and getting it I put it off until the last thing at night, and that frustrates me. I don't do things until I just have to. I never used to be that way, and I didn't weigh as much as I do now either. It's time not only to take control of my food, but take control of my life. Infact I just may have to get control of my life before I can ever truly get control of my food. I've got a new mantra.."If not control now...When??

My idea is to make a commitment to myself and KEEP IT. And to make a commitment to this thread, to report the results...good or bad...complete success or just a partial success, or no seccess at all. I'm real good at reporting my success's, but not my attempts and failures. My challenge is this. Make up a list of things that goes on in your life that you want to change. You can start with just one, or as many things as you want to tackle at once. I know that sometimes our minds can go blank on what it is that we need to work on. So I will compile a list of things to help you thank of things. And when you post your list, in turn it might help someone else thank of something.

What do you say girls, do you need to get control of some things in you life??? If you did would you feel better about yourself??? If you got some control over other things in your life, do you thank it would help you get better control over the obsession to overeat??? I believe that getting control of my life is the key to success with a smart food plan. Here are some ideas on some things that I and maybe you need to change in your life.

Be more tolerant of others and myself

My house must be in order before I can get on the computer.

Do at least one thing extra around the house everyday.

Walk at least every other day, even if just for 5 min.

Try to live in gratitude.

Write down 3 things I'm grateful for everyday.

DON'T hold resentments, they hurt me, not the person I'm resenting.

That's just a few things I need to work on.

My mind is where the problem is, but that is only one part of my body. Face it, it's easier to set in a chair and eat than it is to work on ourselves. Commitment, I need a rock solid commitment to myself. Us face it, it is easier to set in that chair, BUT, am I happier, is it easier to carry the weight around, the shame. The mind is in control, but how would your heart, your feet, your legs, your hips, your lungs, not to mention the skin, it's sure been a stretch for the skin, Wonder how they would vote???

What do you say ladies, willing to give it a try. Maybe what your doing now isn't working, giving it a try couldn't hurt. I will reply with my commitment when I can find the time tonight. We will make commitment to ourselves until the 1st of March. We can keep a commitment until then. After that we'll sign up again. I'm looking forward to having some success with this and meeting some new people. I hope at least a part of this made some since.
Maybe some of you just want to make a commitment to your food plan, thats ok too. It's just a challenge to ourselves.

Last edited by Marlana; 02-11-2002 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:34 PM   #2  
a work in progress...

Great idea!!

I see a LOT there that definitely applies to me...starting with getting the house in order before computer time!

I will ponder this and get back...Thanks for the kick in the pants!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:51 PM   #3  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Talking Here Goes!

I will until the first day of March 2002 keep my word to myself. I will do the following things if at all possible everyday. On that day I will report to this thread how successful I was.
#1...I will not turn on my computer until my everyday house work is done.
#2...I will try to do one extra thing in my house everyday, things like clean out a cabinet or set down and sew something. I have lots of extra things that can be done.
#3...Work on letting my resentments go.
#4...Spend some quite time for a few min each day.
#5...Be more tolerant with other people.
#6...Thank positive things...a hard one for me.
#7...Write down 3 things a day to be thankful for each day.
#8...Stop putting things off until the last min.
#9...Work out my bank statement when it comes in.
#10...Pay my bills when they come in and not wait till the last min.
#11...Keep my desk and dinning room table cleaned off. I hate them messed up.
#12...Wash my dishes every night, and unload the dish washer in the morning. Bad at these two things.
#13...And last but not least, if I don't want to do something someone has ask me to do, just say NO.
#14...OH YES...ONE MORE, I WILL TRY TO STAY ON A GOOD FOOD PLAN AND IF I START TO TAKE A BITE OF FOOD I'M NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE, I'LL ASK MYSELF, "IF I DON'T CONTROL IT NOW....WHEN!
There you have it, my commitment to myself. I could add many more, but this is a start. I can do this, I can. Bad habits can be overcome!
Old 02-12-2002, 12:59 PM   #4  
a work in progress...

All righty then! Here I go...

Top ten Commitments to myself...

10. I will follow my food plan, to lose weight, and become a healthier person, mentally and physically.
9. I will exercise daily, at least 30 min...and enjoy the positive feelings that it gives me.
8. I will measure out the water that my body needs and I will be sure to drink every last drop!
7. I will bless my home and my family (and myself) with a neat and tidy home.
6. I will not sit down at this computer until I have done #7.
5. I will do something that makes me happy every day, take time to read, crochet, garden, write...
4. I will learn about or try something that I have never tried before.
3. I will take the time to keep myself presentable, despite my weight...presentable clothes, light makeup, neat hair...even if I'm just running to the store.
2. I will love myself by not getting down on myself for any lapses in any of the above.

and the #1 commitment that I make to myself is......
To be thankful everyday for all that I have.

Thanks, Marlana...I will keep in touch and share how I am honoring these commitments to myself!
Closed Thread