Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thumbs up PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ... any ideas?

Was born with a physical challenge called Spina Bifeda. Anyone else out there with SB, CP, MS, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (whether genetic or acquired), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties?

ALL ARE WELCOME to join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas with each other ... Rosebud.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-22-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #2  
ericsmommy

Default Hi Rosebud

Man this is a hard board to figure out, how do l get to a list of all the different catagories? Took me awhile to find this catagorie, I got your meesage about it but didnt know how to post here, l need to have a tutor.

As you know I have CP mild on my right side only so l walk with a limp and fall down alot, fell yesterday and hurt my back, I also have sezures but thank god haven't had one since my son Eric was born almost 4 years ago. The meds l am on for that makes me gain wieght though so lossing it is very very hard.

We are planning a trip home to Ontario for April and I would like to lose about 30 lbs l am hoping l can do it.

love Mo
ericsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #3  
Rosebud

Cool You go girl ...

HEY MO: good for you! I'm so glad you didn't give up. You will figure all this out ... it took me a while too. I think it takes us all a while. I came here for over a month before I was able to figure out how to post, cuz I hadn't done that before anywhere; I only got on the net last November/ 2006.

To find DIET CENTRAL, you have to click (or double-click) on the head category "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community" at the very top of the page. This is a trial and error kind of site; or learn as you go ... LOL! Take a look at those red-lettered STICKYS at the top of some of the forums (groups), sometimes they have info in them for NEWBIES, like us; I found a few of them very helpful.

I totally understand about all your physical challenges; for the umpteenth time, my knee gave out and if it wasn't for my cane and a quick reaction time (I have lots of practice daily), I would have been on the floor. As if Spina Bifeda wasn't enough, I had to fall down a flight of stairs, smashed up my knee; and it dislocates itself whenever it feels like it. Then I slipped on some gravel, and fractured my left calf; and it never healed properly to this day.

I could go on, but I won't bore you with more just yet; I'll save that for another time ... LOL! But sometimes, I wonder how I am standing erect; maybe an angel or two are helping me ~ hmmmmm??? Well, aren't we a pair? ... I have fallen down more times than I care to remember. I sure hope your back gets better soon cuz I surely know about that; mine's permanent ~ darn.

Gee ... we could spend hours just commiserating about our collective falls, hurts, aches, pains, weight issues, troubles, etc, etc, etc ... couldn't we? Anyways, I'm just so glad you found this thread. Come here as often as you can and post, and it will stay active for us, and any others who would like to join in with us. This is our little space, just for us; so vent away, MO ... LOL!!!

I'll come back tomorrow and post again. Do take care of that back; and talk to you soon. Your fellow encourager ... Rosebud.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-04-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #4  
ericsmommy

Default Hey Rosebud

I just notice your ticker congrads on lossing all that weight. How do you do it without a exercise program persay? I have 3 more cans of pepsi in the house and then I ain't buying anymore, l figure that will be a good start as I need pepsi to get threw the day, I don't drink tea or coffee so pepsi gives me the energy to deal with the house and Eric. I haven't been able to figure out a excersice plan though cause of my balance, I do all the house work though and l figure thats got to count don't u think? This morning in 30 mintues l stripped both beds, remade them cleaned the big bathroom, carried the dirty laundry down 2 flights of staries and started a load, now l am taking a break and having a pepsi and writing. Do you think l have a chance of lossing this weight? I really apprecaite you talking with me, wish we could talk live though threw MSN l have mine turned on everyday. It's one of the ways l keep in connact with all my friends and family in Ontario. Only 49 days till we fly home, I can't wait to see my Mom and let her see how big Eric is getting.

Thanks again Rose for taking time to make me feel welcome.

p.s. my back feels alot better, DH gave me a back massage and it really helped. my left foot got hurt in the fall too so l am back to using my cane again till it's feeling better.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #5  
ericsmommy

Default who hoo

Hey Rose

I figured out how to put a family picture up so now u know what l look like.

love Mo
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #6  
Rosebud

Default Howdy Mo ...

That's a great pic of you and your lovely family; Eric is a cuti petuti! See ~ you learned to put up a pic. Guess it's my turn; I only have one pic of myself and one of DH (not together though). My PC is a little older than yours, I think; my messenger takes up a lot of memory, so we're presently workin' on that issue.

MY EXERCISE PLAN (informal) is walking every day; plus I do handweights at least 3 times a week; and I have a mega rower that I use occasionally. When you are big, the initial weight comes off more easily; as I get down more, it will take a little longer. My goal is at least one pound per week; that may seem slow to you, but I have a lot more to lose.

Last winter, I was able to walk a lot more; this year the weather has been bad; so I am doing more indoor walking in the hallways of the building we live in. I do go outside for walks on the nicer days; and yes, the housework does count towards your exercise goals (which I do also). It all adds up; but, I am just trying to be more consistent with it.

I have only one coffee in the morning and one tea in the evening; but mostly drink bottled spring water and the odd diet pepsi. By the way (BTW), I did receive all your private messages; and all the posting is the same no matter where you are on the board (the site), Mo. You are doing fabulously ... you really are!!!

And yes, I do think that you can lose the weight; just do what you can, when you can; and focus on one-day-at-a-time. Will post again soon ~ take good care of yourself ~ your fellow encourager ... Rosebud.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #7  
Rosebud

Arrow Exercise Program ...

RE: EXERCISE PROGRAM For Those With Physical Challenges (informal)

1) walking {12-20 mins/day 3-4 d/wk}
2) hand weights (at least 5 minutes x 3 days a week)
3) chair aerobics* (minimum 5+ mins/day)
4) upper body Rowing or Weights (3 d/wk only)
5) water aquatics & swimming (once a week/ad ?)
6) RTM's (rep therapeutic movements: stretches, toning)
7) stationary or recyprocal bicycle (if possible)

* you can use props like a pole, cane, stretchy band; includes leg-lifts, arm push-ups, tummy tucks/rolls, etc.

NOTE: you can add to this list any kind housework or activity (like gardening) that burns calories on top of your regular daily activities.

PS ~ hope these ideas are helpful to you and others, Mo. This is my informal exercise program that I have been using for about 1.5 years now ... it is very flexible. Maybe you can set up your own plan from these ideas. Rosebud.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-06-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #8  

Ladies, I'm not physically challenged but my husband is. I found a great series of Chair Aerobics tapes at our local library for him. I'm sure you could find them on line as well. Basically, it's all sitting down so you don't need to worry about falling and you really do get a good workout. Just wanted to pass that along!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #9  
ericsmommy

Default Thanks Susan

Do you happen to know the names of the video's? or who did them?

Glad your husband found them helpful.

Thanks Mo
Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #10  
Rosebud

Cool Had a Thrilling Thursday ...

SUSAN ... Thanx for the info about the chair aerobic tapes. We'll see if we can find them somewhere.

MO ~ did something totally new today. A while back, I heard about a new activity called ... SKI-WALKING. DH and I picked up a couple pairs of really good poles at a SHS today. This afternoon, I went ski-walking and I love it. The poles really give you good balance and a sense of security that I need. I went for a total of fifty minutes; but I will probably pay with a sore back tomorrow.

When I find something that I enjoy like this, I tend to overdo it a bit. Next time, I'll go out for 2 x 20 minute sessions instead (my aunt made that suggetstion to me this evening). It is thrilling to me to find another activity that I can enjoy in the winter; I guess you could use the poles for hiking in the summer too, if you wanted to.

Anyways, we had nice sunny, weather for the last two days; but, I had to bundle up well today cuz there were some cool winds. It's supposed to get milder here this weekend; hope so. Stayed OP (on plan) well today; glad for that. Hope your foot is feeling better, MO; it's a bummer not to being able to get around (no pun intended) ~ LOL!!!

BTW, if you have any questions, MO, don't hestiate to ask me. Take care and say hi to your DH and Eric for me. Your fellow encourager ... Rosebud.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #11  
ericsmommy

Default Hey Rose

I did something today I am excited about, I went and joined curves. I am hoping it will help me. the machines are easy for me to use with my leg and I want to meet other Women since l am so loney here. Wish me luck and I will keep you upto date on my progress.

BTW just with the change in my diet these last few days I have lost 3lbs.

love Mo
Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #12  
Rosebud

Thumbs up Way to go ... Mo

Wow ... that's great ... CONGRATS on losing that first 3 lbs; you're on your way ~ keep it up!!

Joining a local group or club is a great way for you to meet people, esp since you live in a large city. I was also gonna suggest joining a church there to meet other people as well. That's what I did when I went to a large, strange city to go to college.

Be sure to keep track somewhere where you start and so on. Take care and have fun ~ your fellow encourager ... Rosebud.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #13  

Hi my name is Erin. I wasn't born with a physical challange but i aquired one. I had a stroke about 5 years ago when I was 21 due to a clotting condition. I also have seizures. Although I haven't had one in almost 6 months. I was on Topamax which caused major weight loss but i went off of it in Sept. because I am trying to get pregnant and i want to be on as little medication as possible. Unfortunatly i gained back all the weight and then some.
I am weaker on my left side and my balance is messed up. ( makes step arerobic very difficult... )I also have some cognitive issues as well and depression with OCD like features. God i sound so whiny. Anyway.. I can totally relate to what you guys are going through. Some days i feel like no one understands me and i dont want to seem whiny. Anyway, i could use some support as well as friends. I am a great listener.

Erin
Daffadil71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #14  
Rosebud

... ERIN ... we totally understand where you are coming from; and don't feel bad when you are just introducing yourself and explaining your present conditions. I know sometimes I don't even like to tell my family and friends my issues (which they recently admonished me for), cuz I don't want to bore them.

That's the very reason we started this thread; so that those of us who have physical challenges of any kind, whether genetic or acquired, can join others who totally understand how they feel. We are here to help and support each other, and to find new friends too. You can come here anytime; and whine, rant, or complain, whenever you want ... hehe!

And who wouldn't get a little depressed when they are dealing with so many health problems; one of my main stressors is pain issues. Pain is hard on us and it takes a lot of strength to cope with it on a daily basis. After a bad fall, I ended up with a clot in my left calf and now am on blood-thinning meds; this condition also runs in my family.

Glad you found us, ERIN ~ come back and post often ~ your fellow encourager ... Rosebud.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #15  

After a bad fall, I ended up with a clot in my left calf and now am on blood-thinning meds; this condition also runs in my family

That medication sucks. I have been on coumadin since 2002 and its yucky. Now i am on lovenox which is injectable. The bruising and swelling is disgusing. I feel freakish.
Do you have a clotting condition? I have protein S and Protein C deficiency. Blood thinners for life baby. Could be worse though. I work in a mental instituition and whenever i feel sorry for myself i look at my patients and feel much better.
Daffadil71 is offline   Reply With Quote