Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:37 AM   #1  

Default New to exercising ...some advice on using a 'glider/strider'

Hi there!

Just come across this website and, wow, found loads of helpful information!

I've just embarked on a new healthy eating plan and for the past four weeks I've been using a glider/strider for exercise. I do 10 minute bursts for 2 or 3 times a day, in combination with the beginners 20 minute session of Joel Harpers workout (the freebie one on the Oprah website). I'm trying to do about 30 to 50 minutes exercise a day. I need to lose approx. 90 pounds.

I would like to ask some of you fitness experts if the glider is a good piece of equipment to exercise with?

I find it useful as I have bad knees and it is low impact...but I concerned that it isn't really pushing me far enough, and really I should be on a treadmill or ellipitical machine.

many thanks

emma
emma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I have used my gazelle for a year now. i now havr to lok into a readmill but I did well with it to start with. Everyone is different . I started with about 30 mins then moved to 1 hour now I have added free weights and some calestectics. I do walking and interval training currently on my gazelle but now that I am at the end of my weight loss it is harder to take off.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The best exercise is really the exercise you will do and can do. Depending on your fitness level, a glider type machine might be exactly what you need. My mom does a glider for an hour every day. She lost some weight initially but hasn't lost any more weight but uses the glider to maintain her weight loss and keep herself a bit active on a daily basis.

If you get to a higher fitness level, you may find yourself needing to challenge yourself a bit more with different exercises. I would also suggest look into supplementing your workout with weights if you aren't already. (Not weights while on the glider but a seperate weight workout).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #4  

Thanks for the advice guys! Yep you're right...to do what exercise I can do...(and moderately enjoy).

The glider seems good if I go quick on it...but do think in not many months i'll have to upgrade to a proper ellipitical machine as the glider has no resistence. But at the moment the glider and the 20 minute Oprah basic workout seems to be puffing me out (so unfit!!)
emma2 is offline   Reply With Quote