Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #1  

Talking What do you do to get your mind of food?

HEy guyS just wanted to ask what you guys do when you are like getting a craving? I go on the computer or I talk to my friends on the phone or I crochet. Plus if im on the computer I look at girls that have awesome hair, awesome cloths, and nice figures. Keeps me inspired.
PatheticallyCriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #2  

Default I find that I get hungry *m

when I am sitting around doing nothing (like reading or at the computer) so I get up and do something like throw a load of laundry in or put the laundry away. Or if I really need the distraction I will clean out a closet or something big. It is perfect for taking my mind off of food and I have a clean space to show for it!!!

Mellissa
lisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #3  
Marianne

S/C/G: 256/243/150

Height: 5'4

I usually do more exercise, or I take my dog for a walk! Good luck!!!!
Marianne031474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I have to ask myself if I'm hungry.

When I'm hungry there's no kind of ANYTHING that will take my mind off food!

If I want chocolate because some was bullying me at kickboxing then I have to search for the reason I want chocolate and once I know I'll realise that I'm not hungry and won't want it any more.

If I want to eat because I'm bored I usually surf the net, or I go and make a nice cup of tea. It fills me up!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I want to eat when I get frustrated or anxious. I find myself mindlessly staring at the shelves. What's helped me is to make sure there are snack foods that I can eat if I just HAVE to--like baby carrots, a certain kind of cracker (counted out portion-wise), some yogurt, things like that. And I try not to think about the foods that I can't have right now. Easy to say, but I've found that the longer I'm staying with my plan, the less I think about them. It does get easier--the cravings diminish.

Hope it helps!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

The cravings do get easier, especially if you are eating NO sweets. Also, if you dont have it in your house, you cant really eat it. So i make sure to NEVER buy sweets or "no-no" foods anymore. Not for the kids, not for the husband, i dont care...i hate to be selfish, but if i cant have it, no one in the house can have it. ha ha
But when i do get a craving for something and i have already had my fill for the day, i will drink something hot...hot tea, sugar free hot apple cidar, hot lemon water...anything hot makes me feel fuller.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I either find a healthy snack, sip hot green tea or jump on my stair stepper.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

i agree with all above suggestions, and also: paint your nails...cause then you can't touch anything til they dry and by then the craving should have passed!

btw, i crochet too! it helps a lot to keep my hands and mind busy
Lee Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

take the mutt for a walk...or hang out here and chat for a while (:
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

I pick a project around the house. Now I am painting. Drives my husband nuts. He never like the colors, wants white. I also put together photo albums sometimes. Anything to stay out of the kitchen. Except if I'm painting the kitchen.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #11  

If you eat properly - protein, dairy, complex carbs, veggies - you don't get cravings. They go south forever if you don't indulge them. You feel a lot better too.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ann View Post
i agree with all above suggestions, and also: paint your nails...cause then you can't touch anything til they dry and by then the craving should have passed!

btw, i crochet too! it helps a lot to keep my hands and mind busy
I love the paint your nails suggestions. I never thought of that and it sounds like a winner. Usually, I take a walk.
bkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #13  

I love these ideas! they are great! Usually I try to drink water when i get a craving just cuz i am really bad about drinking enough a day, so by doing this i get my water in and I dont eat bad things!!
melissamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
If you eat properly - protein, dairy, complex carbs, veggies - you don't get cravings. They go south forever if you don't indulge them. You feel a lot better too.
Gotta disagree there. Many people can eat properly yet still crave something they just don't get often, something special they have a liking for, or just crave something out of boredom, frustration, lack of sleep, etc.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #15  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
I was also going to ask if you were really hungry. I've started paying attention to those "craving" times and usually it's almost time to eat a meal.

I have to agree also that when you get the dairy, protein, veggies and all in, the cravings do go away. I made sure last week that I followed the WW healthy guidelines which included 2 dairy servings, protein, fiber and 5 fruit and veggie servings, and not to forget the water and healthy oils. When I did I was full, had a couple of days where I struggled to get all my points in and lost 5.6 lbs. last week.

Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote