Old 03-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/169/160

Height: 5'5"

Default What do "NS" and "NFS" mean in FitDay?

Hi all,

I am new to FitDay (and loving it!) and I can't find an explanation of what "NS" and "NFS" stand for in food titles. For example:

--Salad dressing, low-calorie, NFS
--Orange, mandarin, canned or frozen, NS as to sweetened or unsweetened; sweetened, NS as to type of sweetener

I was thinking "NS" might stand for "Not Sure" but I don't know and that still doesn't help with NFS.

Explanations would be most appreciated, as would a link to wherever you might be able to find this info on the FitDay site... as I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Holly
hollyannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #2  
Dieting Diva

I wondered the same thing !
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #3  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

NFS = not further specified
NS = not specified
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #4  
Meg

Hi Holly! I wondered the same thing until someone clued me in. NS stands for 'not specified' and NFS is 'not further specified'. Fitday used the USDA database and those are USDA abbreviations, so that's how they ended up in Fitday.

So in your orange example:

Orange, mandarin, canned or frozen, NS as to sweetened or unsweetened; sweetened, NS as to type of sweetener

it means you didn't specifiy whether the oranges were sweetened or unsweetened, and if there were sweetened, with what. So Fitday assigns a generic calorie count, probably partway between sweetened and unsweetened. You can see that it's not very accurate, but if that's all the information you have, it's Fitday's best guess.

In your other example:

Salad dressing, low-calorie, NFS

it means Not Further Specified - if you don't have any more details, like was it creamy? Or oil based? Again, Fitday gives you its best guess based on the information you have.

It's a good idea to be as detailed as possible with Fitday and try to avoid the NS and NFS if you can. Of course, sometimes that's all the info you have (like when you're eating out) so it's the best you can do.

Hope that helps!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #5  
Meg

Oops - posted at the same time as Wildfyre.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #6  

Thanks Meg and Wildfyre! That was very helpful. I love FitDay and it's even better to use it when you have the support here at 3FC!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #7  
Meg

Hey Holly - I just noticed that you're really close to goal. Congratulations! You've done a fabulous job with your weight loss!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #8  

Thanks so much Meg! I should post my story over in Introductions... I am actually a long-term maintainer who lost 100 pounds over several years (going from 259 to about 160), finishing roughly 10 years ago at age 23. In the past two years or so I got married, took a new job that I love but that requires long hours, and had a few other life changes that combined to derail me from my usual habits a bit -- and my weight has crept up to where I am now -- a total regain of about 15 lbs. But in the past couple of months I have gotten really motivated to get back down to my "comfy" weight of 160. Last week I discovered FitDay and came over to 3FC and officially launched my new plan.

I'm so glad I've discovered 3FC as it is REALLY helping me stay psyched!

Meg, I read your story and it is incredible. You are a total inspiration!

All the best,
Holly
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #9  
Meg

Wow!! YOU are a total inspiration too!! Holly, please come check out our Maintainers Forum - I'm the moderator there and think you'd fit right in and we have several maintainers working to get back to goal right now, just like you. Hope to see you there!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #10  

Thanks Meg! I will definitely check out the Maintainers Forum. I love 3FC!