Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Unhappy How to stop sabotaging myself???

Now that I'm getting back on the wagon after nearly two years, I'm concerned that I might fall into an old pattern of doing well eating and working out only to sabotage myself. It's pretty twisted, as if I enjoy the struggle, but won't let myself enjoy the success.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/196/137

Height: 5'6"

Kylie,

I know what you mean... the minute I start to do well I do something to mess up my progress. If you have been on the wagon for two years you are doing something right! Good for you! I think just being aware that you might fall into old habits should help. I find writing things down can be helpful. Like writing down a "plan" for when you feel yourself slipping...

Hope this helps!
paige137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #3  

Sorry for not being clearer. Unfortunately, I've been "off the wagon" for two years. I'm trying to start making healthy choices for myself again, which is why this is troubling me. I like your idea of writing things down. That also might help me tap into the emotions that are driving this. Thanks for the good thoughts and mine to you!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #4  
Groovin 4 a small planet

S/C/G: 2002: 205/129 Now: 155/144/125

Height: 5'4

Get all of the crap out of your house. Give it away, destroy it, flush it-just get it out.
JaimePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #5  

Ah, I know exactly what you mean. And of course, the solution isn't as easy as just getting rid of the junk in your house.... If you REALLY want to sabotage your progress, you WILL find a way. I know I always do. Progress goes very, very slowly for me because of my apparent desire to take two steps forward and one step back. Thankfully that equals out to one step forward, hence the tiny bit of weight loss. I really do seem to be on a 4 days on/3 days off schedule.

And believe me, I keep the cleanest cupboards around. Nothing but lean protein, veggies, beans, rice, oats, fruit, nuts. My urges to sabotage are strong enough, though, that I leave my apartment, make it through the drive-thru or grocery store, and make it all the way home without being able to talk myself out of it.

Anyway, all this to say I know where you're coming from. I don't have a magic solution to share with you, I'm still on this road myself. Some people say that if you can sort of put off your desire to do something bad to yourself, it will eventually go away. It's worth a try if you haven't already. And yes, I agree with writing things down -- if you can get yourself to write down every single thing, even when you fall off the wagon, something might click in your head when you start seeing the differences between the days.

Anyway, like I said, I'm struggling with this too. So here's a instead of sage words of advice
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #6  
Groovin 4 a small planet

S/C/G: 2002: 205/129 Now: 155/144/125

Height: 5'4

Sorry, Brito. Didn't know you were having such a rough time. Hugs to you as well. Of course, I know that there is more to it than simply cleaning out the cupboards, it just always helps me feel like its a new day, you know?
JaimePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #7  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I am definitely guilty of the self sabatoge. I think you really have to dig deep to solve this one and think about why you've kept the weight on. What do you gain by being this weight? I realized that I was basically hiding from life. I would stay home and eat instead of meeting with friends or worse, meeting a guy that I might be interested in. I would keep bingeing at home, alone, and I think that was a huge reason I am the weight I am and totally unhappy. The only way I was able to turn it around was to first of all recognize why I got where I am, what was stopping me from losing the weight before, and then make a clear plan as to how I am going to get to my goal weight. Most importantly, I made the decision that I will get to that weight. I believe that it is possible this time so I dont have the urge to give up. I can see myself at that goal weight and I will get there. I know everyone is different, but this is how I feel I have finally stopped sabotaging any gains I may have made.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #8  
mummy of one

i am guilty of the self sabatoge aswell i dont know why i do it to myself
i get on well for days not bothering then i just have these urgees to eat junk (chocolate esp) that i know makes me feel like crap after i have eaten it..........i have yet to find a way of stopping myself completely..... i am also prone to emotional eating and if i am feeling streesed that is when i tend to be at my worst for binging need to get that sorted aswell....... lol
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #9  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Maybe this sounds too simplistic, but I'm going to say it anyway...

Don't WORRY or be concerned about something that hasn't happened yet. Step 1: Get back ON the wagon. You can not base your getting on the wagon NOW with what has happened in the past. Don't analyse it. Don't worry about it. Forgive yourself, let it go and start fresh. Make every single moment count. If you know you may have committment or success issues PLAN for them. Plan to eat with a conscience. Make yourself and YOUR NEEDS your number 1 priority. If you think it's still going wrong, make a deal with yourself (WRITE it down!) that you will first 1) Drink tons of water, 2) exercise for 20 minutes, 3) write in a journal, 4) reach out to someone, 5) take a walk (just examples) BEFORE you allow yourself to go off the rails. Chances are you WON'T go off the rails because of your deal with yourself.

I'm almost positive, at this point, that the reason many of us struggle so much is because we keep basing our efforts now with our past. It's over! It's done! NOW is the only time that matters. Make it count!

Being afraid of success (even if subconciously) is also normal. Thing is, many of us are just used to being overweight... even though we don't like it, it's easier than putting the effort into losing weight and getting fit. Keeping a journal is handy in this case, because you can get your thoughts and feelings out and really try to pinpoint your weak spots and you trigger moments. This information will help you in turn improve your life. Talk with friends or come here to work those issues out without actually sabotaging your efforts.

You CAN do this. There is no better time than NOW!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

i can't offer you much advice, as i am struggling with the same thing. i started seeing a therapist a while ago and that seems to be helping. with mee it seems to be deep rooted self esteem problems. i'm also a big fan of positive affermations. i find that they help alot with many things. good luck, and know that you aren't aone.
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #11  

I can't thank everyone enough, particularly Velveteen, I do need to quit worrying about something that hasn't happened! (grin) It's also so nice to find such amazingly supportive people. Knowing that I'm not alone is such a help. Thanks to y'all. I'll let you know how things go!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #12  

i am also incredibly guitly of self sabotage i do so well and then i jsut gain it all back
like i feel taht there is somethign wrong with me
i feel like there is so much pressure
i have been trying for like six montsh now
and i always sabotage myeslf
its like i cannot let myself do it
i am so sad right now
miss ange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/148/125

Height: 5'4"

I remind myself to have patience with myself. If a binge happens it happens. I learned that I will get back up when I'm ready. It has taken me longer to lose weight because I fall off the wagon, but I have kept on losing because I get back on when I'm ready. I forgive myself eventually and start to focus on what I want. Each time I start again I get stronger, I guess from all the practice.
miss katz is offline   Reply With Quote