Old 03-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Default A "Clothing" Question

Out of curiousity...do you know about how much weight you generally (I know it's different for everyone) have to lose in order to go down a size?
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It also has a lot to do with how tall you are, how you are built and how much you have to lose. For me, at 5'6", I remember that between the sizes of 14 and 24, each even size was about a 20 lb difference.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It really varies greatly. But I think you knew that already. I would say my first size drop came at about 25 lbs. But after the first 25, it was more like every 15 lbs or so. I started my venture at 287 lbs, was a size 26/28 and am now wearing a size 12. The size 12 though is not for jeans, it's for skirts. Long ones at that. I've yet to put on a pair of jeans yet, I have calf issues (sad face). I think clothing sizes has changed since the last time I was under 200 lbs, many moons ago. I don't remember being over 180 and wearing a regular size 12. My tops are large, if for nothing else but for my big ole' boobs. I did recently just buy one size medium shirt though. So it depends on the cut.

I will tell you this, buying new and fitted clothing is a big boon for oneself. You will feel so much better and lighter then wearing your baggy clothes. And people will notice more!!! I finally found some clothes that I really, really like and instead of giving them away, I now have them tailored as I'm changing sizes. In fact I'm headed to the tailor this morning.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #4  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Tricia!

For me it has been between 10-15 pounds, BUT as I exercise and firm up more, sometimes I can go down a size EVEN WITHOUT LOSING any additional weight! It's very weird but really kind of cool! I'm losing INCHES a lot faster than POUNDS.

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Tricia,

It depends on where you lose the inches first. I've lost 19 lbs and can just now slip into one size smaller jeans.....depending on the brand. Some are still too tight. I'm losing in strange places that aren't really helping with clothing yet. My butt is lifting, but is not really much smaller...unless I take a vertical measurement? My calves look great...but that won't get me into smaller clothing!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #6  
one sexy science teacher

S/C/G: 231/194/130

Height: 5'5"

Trisha,

I got really lucky and was able to drop several sizes very quickly. I think it was because I had a lot of latant muscle mass hiding under my pudge. I started at a 20/22 and I can fit into 16W pants after only 24 lbs dropped. I know that isn't the same for everyone and I think I wouldn't have been able to do it if I hadn't already been hiding muscles that were just waiting to start working again.
haeyu14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #7  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Not only does it depend on height/build, it also depends on where you carry most of your weight, and where you are losing from. I carry most of my weight, up front in my lower belly. I'm losing everywhere else more quickly than I am from the biggest problem area. Well, let me rephrase, because I have less to lose on my arms, legs, upper body, it feels as if the rest of me is getting more normal sized, faster than my lower tummy, but the truth is, I'm losing steadily and equally allover, it's just more noticable everywhere but the lower tummy. I'm in a plain ole xl or large tshirt up top, but an 18 in pants. The pants generally are 2-4 sizes to big in legs, butt and hips, but comfy on belly, so it's a bunch of different factors at work.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm down 14 pounds and I would say about half a size.. I used to only be able to wear 20, but 18 fits fine now... once in awhile I'll still get a 20 though.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

In addition to everything else, it also depends on whether you're weight training! I haven't lost weight in over 3 months but have gone down a clothing size because I'm gaining muscle as I lose fat (pound for pound muscle takes up less space than fat).

So, as you can see, it really depends!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #10  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

The way your body changes is crazy! I wish I had written down my weight as I changed clothing sizes so I would have numbers to compare, but alas, I didn't! I can tell you that I started at 246, size 20/22, and now at 179 my jeans are a 12. I purchased dress pants in a 14 the other day because I wanted them a little looser-looking, but then I also tried on a couple skirts and capris that were 10's and they fit....go figure! Most of my weight is being carried in my lower abdomen (ah, the blessings of having kids c-section) but yet my hips and thighs are gone. I also have these really ugly flabby arms.....I'm sure if I got rid of the flab there I'd be down another 6 or 7pounds!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #11  

I would say virtually all of my weight is in my front belly area. Yeah, my hips are bigger than they should be but if I could just slice off my belly I would probably wear a 16. As is, I'm probably going to go buy a 24 today. Wish me luck!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #12  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I am so glad to see that at least some of you are in agreement with the fact that I've always thought of a size as being about 15 pounds. I mean, I agree that if you are doing weight training, you will change size without losing anything but for most of us, loss is also involved.

Basically, I think of a size as being approximately 2 inches of difference (hip measurement, specifically for pants) and for me that's about 15 pounds. Of course, I also have difficulty relating to US sizing, because in Canada our sizing is larger; but that is actually as immaterial as the number on the scale - it's the change of size that matters not the number on the tag.

I really hate those TV ads that say things like . . . "I've lost 24 pounds and gone from a size 12 to a size 4." Hey, give me a break.

Hope everybody is having a great moving and shaking kind of day . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post
I would say virtually all of my weight is in my front belly area. Yeah, my hips are bigger than they should be but if I could just slice off my belly I would probably wear a 16. As is, I'm probably going to go buy a 24 today. Wish me luck!
Tricia, I just bought my first new jeans since I started losing. They are a 24. Depending on the style of jean, some of them were too tight in the tummy area. Like you, I carry most of my weight there. My butt is really starting to look nice and the hips are going down, but that lower tummy is just sitting there! But, we'll get there one day! When there is absolutely no where else to lose more weight, it will have to come off of the tummy, right?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Tricia, I just bought my first new jeans since I started losing. They are a 24. Depending on the style of jean, some of them were too tight in the tummy area. Like you, I carry most of my weight there. My butt is really starting to look nice and the hips are going down, but that lower tummy is just sitting there! But, we'll get there one day! When there is absolutely no where else to lose more weight, it will have to come off of the tummy, right?
I just bought a pair of jeans (sz 24) and 2 tops (2x down from 3x)!!

Rhonda, you're absolutely right. I tried on about 4 styles...a couple of sizes in each. I found that in some styles I couldn't even get the 24 closed but in others they absolutely fit! One style was so small I couldn't even button a 26.......I'm staying away from those!!! What I'm even more thrilled about is my new jeans came with a belt and I can wear it with them and it is STILL comfortable! Hopefully at the beginning of April we'll be shopping again for another size (or 2...) down! Go us!

Oh yeah...I also bought a cute pair of panties...and tossed a yucky pair! Old jeans are already in the Goodwill bin never to return again!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Also, there is more of a difference between sizes in plus sizes than in misses. So while the waist measurement difference between a 22 and 20 is 2 or 2.5 inches, the waist measurement difference between a 10 and a 12 is only 1 inch. So the smaller you get, the fewer pounds/inches will equal a size down.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote