Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Treadmill Disorientation?

So, I can now officially say it - I am a runner! A baby-beginning runner, but a runner nonetheless. I sucked up my anxiety issues and went to the gym this morning! Day 1 of C25K. Congratulations, me.

But the question I have. I was running this morning, then when I finished my workout, after the cooldown, when the treadmill stopped and I stepped off, I was really wobbly on my feet. Almost dizzy, but not really *dizzy*, just feeling...if any of you are sailors, it was almost the same feeling as when you've been on a long sail and come back ashore, you know how the ground kind of rolls so you feel like you're still on the water? It was like that, only the ground kept moving like I was still on the treadmill. It was a very weird feeling.

Does anyone else get this? Does it fade over time once you get used to the treadmill - note, I have not ever worked out on a treadmill, even two years ago when I used to go to the gym on a semiregular basis I used the elliptical - and if so, any ideas on how long it'll take?

I was able to camouflage it pretty well, I've gotten very good at being able to show no outward signs of anything out of the ordinary no matter how I'm feeling - don't ask why - but it was really unnerving to try to walk in a steady straight line over to the stretching area without stumbling over the ground that was moving under my feet.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Yep, that used to happen to me all the time, even just walking on the treadmill. What helps me is to stand still on the treadmill for about 10 seconds after I finish my workout, and then to be prepared for it. It's a very weird feeling, indeed, but after awhile I got over it. I definitely think it'll go away for you with time.

And congrats on finishing the first C25K workout! I'm also working on the program, and it can be tough!
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

That happened to me the first few times I walked or ran on the treadmill. My trainer said it's pretty common, I think he even had a name for it but I don't remember what it was. It went away after the first week or so and I haven't had a problem since then.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193/185/145

Height: 5' 7

I do the same thing, and it doesn't seem to improve over time. Luckily, I use a very small gym and there are usually only a few others if any in there with me. I just sit on the edge of the treadmill, while I get my bag together and get my wipes out to clean off the treadmill. By the time I'm finished (usually just a minute or two) I'm good to go.
BrisaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #5  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Alrighty, so not something to worry about. I was getting all these images of having some sort of inner-ear problem and balance problems and whatnot. Thanks, you guys!
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I have the same problem... it usually helps if I do a reallllly slow cool down for the last 2 minutes or so. Congrats!!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:13 AM   #7  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I have the same problem, and I agree with Dana - go really slow for a few minutes at the end. I've also found it helps to step on the sides of the treadmill before you stop the belt. For some reason this helps me.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yup. Same thing here too. But the feeling only lasted the first few times that I recall. It's like getting your sea legs.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote