Old 02-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default What was your happiest food find?

Since I'm new to the healthy eating thing I'm having,dare I say,FUN(??) finding foods that are actually low fat,low,sugar,low whatever .

So what is your favorite food find that fits into YOUR healthy eating plan?
Mine has to be my whole wheat,low fat,low carb,sugar free tortilla's. I love them so much! I have one with my dinner everynight now. Wrapped with chicken,turkey,turkey bacon,veggies...whatever. I'm doing away with the white flours and stuff so finding tortillas I could eat made me soooo very happy!!!!

What about you?
penor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #2  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Since I am not great about drinking lots of water, I have been happy to find those Crystal Light packets that you open and mix with a bottle of water. Makes me think that I'm getting a treat rather than forcing down another bottle of water.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Anything Kashi puts out there. That has become my new ALL TIME FAVORITE brand!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

LaTortilla Factory tortillas - 50 cals and 7g fiber for the whole thing.

Whole wheat 4" pitas - Great w/open faced veggie burgers, tuna melts, and I even came up w/a BBQ chicken pita pizza

Kashi Go Lean, frozen blueberries and 1c Almond Breeze

Veggie burgers!!!!

Finding different ways to make salads. One of my favorites lately is a taco salad.

2 Morningstar Farms Black Bean Burgers, 3c lettuce, 5 scallions, 2oz rf cheese, 9 black olives, 1 1/2T salsa, 1 1/2T rf sour cream, one taco shell, toasted and crumbled. I mix it all in a big bowl with one of the rectangle salad chopper blades so it all gets chopped up and combined like the salad places at the mall. On my program it counts as P,V,V,D,Fa,S and three condiments for the salsa and sour cream. You can leave out the olives to save fat, and cut down on the cheese, which I do a lot, but when I really plan for it, having that stuff in there makes it taste like restaurant food.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Laughing cow lite swiss cheese spread on a stalk of celery. A great combination of protein and carb and great taste too! Also love natural peanut butter on celery....another great protein carb snack...and, of course, great taste. Have to be careful not to have this one more than once a day.....peanuts are good for you, but in moderation due to the fat content.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One of my favorite food finds is pumpkin puree. High fiber, filling and can easily make healthy treats with it. Related to that, I'm in love with steel cut oats. I make steel cut oats and pumpkin together and it is the most filling snack ever and oh so good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #7  

Oh yeah, the Laughing Cow! Also, Alternative Bagels by Western Bagel. 110 calories and 7g fiber (I think) for the whole bagel. Counts as a starch on my plan, and I think it's 1point on WW, but I'm not positive. Laughing cow is good on the bagel too.

Also, love taking low sodium deli turkey or roast beef and spreading some of the laughing cow on that and rolling it up.

And Eggbeaters cheese & chive and 1 slice rf cheese rolled into the latortilla factory tortilla w/a fruit for breakfast.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I also love the Morning Star Farms Spicy black bean burger and their Chick Patties. I eat one or the other almost every day for lunch, with my other great food find - Cauliflower.

I also love chicken breasts. And stir frys.

And I just discovered asparagus, which I roast. Easy and delicious.

Also loving Danon Fat free/sugar free 60 calorie yogurt. I sprinkle it with a little Fiber One cereal for added crunch. Great snack.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Oh I LOVE my egg beaters!(lol) And I was going to buy the spreadable lite cheeses and I couldn't figure out what to spread it on. Duh me! I'm still in the mind set of cheese spread needing to be on crackers.(lol)
penor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #10  

Robin - I've been wanting to roast asparagus. How do you do it? And what do you do with the cauliflower? I've been pretty into broccoli and mushrooms lately, but I'm willing to branch out.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #11  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Laughing Cow cheese....mmmmmm! I use them as a veggie dip for carrots, green peppers and celery. Spread it on a WW bagel and you don't even miss the cream cheese!

More for warm weather, but I love the Skinny Cow strawberry sorbet bars. They are huge, and only 2 points each. They are fabulous...my kiddos would rather have them than a pint of Ben and Jerry's.....enough said!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #12  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

The Alternative Bagles- YESSSSS!!! And the Pitas are great too (110cal, 8g fiber, 7g protein!) They are wonderful with a slice of lf swiss and some sliced hierloom tomatoes, broiled. Or for a nice lunch I like to make a lil pizza with them. WE also really enjoy the Dryers no sugar added ice cream for a real treat. I don't even keep 'regular' ice cream in the house anymore. OH, And Lightfull Satiety Drinks are a lifesaver too! Again low cals, high fiber AND protein make midmorning and late afternoon snack attacks easier to deal with. Plus the strawberry ones quench my sweet tooth too

I'm still searching for that elusive veggie that I can rave about lol
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #13  
one sexy science teacher

S/C/G: 231/194/130

I have discovered that I LOVE zuccini and summer squash! And before I thought that the only good zuccini was found in bread. lol. I find I'm cutting them up and adding them to everything from salads to stirfry to sandwichs. They are so much fun!
haeyu14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #14  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Robin mentioned Fiber One cereal. I only recently realized what a food find it is. Check out www.hungrygirl.com to see what all you can do with it.

Roasted cauliflower and roasted asparagus - love them both!

Also - thin zucchini slices spread on a cookie sheet misted with olive oil, mrs. dash and parmesan cheese. It reminds me of potato chips or french fries.

Blue bell no sugar added fudgsicles - only 35 calories

2 Big Wasa fiber crackers and 1/2 c of On the Border Salsa - 70 calories for such a filling snack

Last edited by jtammy; 02-28-2007 at 12:20 PM.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

OhTammy I love my Fiber One cereal. I just started eating it about 4 or 5 weeks ago. It's great stuff.

Bizlawchik for roasting asparagus, I cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, makes for an easy clean up. I spray it generously with cooking spray. I wash the asparagus and trim the bottoms. I then lay it on the pan, sprinkle it generously with garlic and onion powder, a bit of salt and then spray it again with cooking spray. I then drizzle it with about 1/2 capful of olive oil. Cook in the oven at 400' for about 15 - 20 minutes depending on how thick they are. Maybe give it a mix half way through. Yummy and healtly and low cal.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote