Old 02-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Lightbulb Adopt a food

Good Morning!

I know that I will have a better chance at success if try new foods. - or even use the ones I eat in healthier ways.

Does anyone want to adopt a food for a month at a time? Let's really focus on that food as a group and try to make it work for us. What do you think? Any foods you would like to start on? Any ideas of what food to pick?

Here are some of my ideas:

bananas
onions
turkey

obviously the list is endless..

What do you all think?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I really need to eat more fish and hubby gets tired of salmon. So, my goal is to try different types of fish and fish recipes and have at least two fish meals a week. I'd welcome any healthy recipe recommendations.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #3  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I am going to adopt... gimme a sec to think... OKAY! Got it! I am going to adopt cherries, broccoli, and lentils. If I don't like them, however, I am giving them up for adoption. ^-~
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Fish! Oh... I'm guessing you are not talking about the battered deep fried kind? That's the only kind I eat... and I haven't had that in maybe 10 years! We eat no seafood...

Normally I would say no to fish.. but maybe I should try .. it.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

The idea is that we all adopt the SAME food. That we really focus on it. Recipes, calories, how to serve it to company, how to serve it to children!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #6  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Charbar: So you want us all to take the same food and fix it and then give ideas as to what worked afterward? If so, do you want us to do the bananas, onions, and turkey? Just want to clarify.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm a little confused........... but that happens a lot to me.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

I know I'm new, but some fish suggestions that are working for me:

Tilapia - Pat dry w/paper towel and coat one side w/Morton's Lite Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat on med-high heat for about a min. Add the fish and cook for about 3-4 mins until it starts looking white on the edges. While the fish is cooking, put the same Morton's Lite Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Spray the top of the fish with the cooking spray and flip. Cook for another 2-3 mins or until it feels flaky when you stick a fork into it. Top w/horseradish sauce and 1oz rf Kraft 2% parmesan cheese. The spraying of the fish on the second side combined with the garlic powder makes it "brown" on both sides and it gets a little crust like you really did pan fry it.

Easy, quick and yummy! I know the horseradish sounds weird, but it's really good.

Two other ideas: Top fish w/McCormicks Fat Free lemon dill sauce (at the fish counter) and bake for 20 mins. Really good if you throw in some mushrooms and other veggies to bake w/it.

Line a small cookie sheet (like the kind in your toaster oven) with foil. Put your fish, scallops or shrimp on it and sprinkle very liberally with garlic powder. Also add a little salt and pepper. Melt 1T rf butter and 1T lemon juice in the microwave and pour over the fish. Broil for about 7 mins. Can also add mushrooms and onions for a one dish meal.

These have been my three favorite fish recipes lately. Just thought I'd share even if we don't adopt fish this time around.

Last edited by bizlawchik; 02-28-2007 at 09:37 AM.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #9  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

bizlawchick has the right idea. We all adopt one food for one month. I want to own this food. I want all your wonderful ideas for this food. I want to try this food in ways I never thought of.
Every month or so we change the food.

Let's start with (gulp) fish.

How do you prepare it?
do you fry it, bake it, "george" it?
how many calories are in it?
what type of fish do you eat?
do you bread it?
do you make fish soup? gross....

but you get the idea....

exhaust me with fish

okay.. maybe this was a silly idea. but for some of us we need to explore foods more... healthier foods, or foods that we just need to prepared heathier, or be more creative.

Make sense?
maybe we should drop this ...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I think it makes sense. I happen to love fish but still don't think we eat it enough...mainly because I hate the way it makes my house smell! haha So I'll get over it and start fixing it if you all can make it happen. I've got some really good recipes that I'll share if anyone is interested. Some aren't extremely low fat but I still find that I can fit them into my daily plan. However, Robin and others who are eating a lot less calories than I am may have to make a lot of modifications....
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #11  

I use tilapia almost exclusively with all of those recipes. It's widely available here, doesn't have a strong "fishy" taste, and it's pretty cheap.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #12  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Vote for Turkey
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Salmon fillet is a great, hearty almost meaty fish with great taste and ZERO fishy smell.

I have the guy at the fish store cut it into 3 oz pieces for me. I then take it home and wrap them real well individually and then in a freezer ziploc bag. It stays nice and fresh for at least 1 month. I defrost it in the fridge.

I bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 mins. I like my fish well done, not too soft, otherwise it turns me off. I rinse it off, check for bones. Very simple recipe. I sprinkle it with garlic and onion powder, a little paprika, a little salt and pepper. I broil a sliced tomato (before hand) and place it on top of the fish. Really quick, easy and tasty.

I'll pop back later with a couple of more recipes, for talapia and the salmon. I've got something I MUST tend to. (Like that's stopped me before)
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #14  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

oh, this is great. I love fish and I have been trying to find new ways to cook it. I actually just bought a little seafood cook book the other day, which I do not have here with me as I am at work, but I can post a couple of the recipes on this thread tomorrow...

Bizlawchik- I'm with you. I eat a lot of Tilapia... probably 90% of the fish I eat is Tilapia. I like the taste and it's cheap. I will have to try those recipes. Anyone else have some fishy ideas?
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #15  

I'm not a salmon girl, but DH LOVES this recipe from Sandra Lee. It's not really on my plan, either, but it may work for some of you.

Beer Salmon
1 (12-inch) tail piece salmon fillet (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 teaspoons garlic salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Using aluminum foil, create an oblong cooking tray (approximately 13 inches by 8 inches by 2 inches) to be placed directly on grill. Place salmon fillet in center of tray. Season first with garlic salt, sprinkle with brown sugar, and then cover with pieces of butter. Top with sliced red onions. Pour beer of choice into tray to just below the highest point of the fillet. Cover tray with aluminum foil to envelope fish completely. Place tray on grill, cover with lid, and grill for approximately 8 minutes or until just cooked through.