Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #1  
I don't look back

S/C/G: 235 / 196.2 / 145

Height: 5'4"

Default Working women, please help...

Hi there:

I've just started working again after being unemployed for the past 6 months. While I was unemployed, I was able to continue successfully with my weight loss. Now that I am back at work, I find myself getting hungry around the time I used to eat dinner. I've been bad too. I sometimes stop and get fast food, or a bag of chips. I've worked so hard to get below 200 and now I'm afraid of going back over into Two Town. How do I get over the late day munchies? So, what do you recommend?
Losingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #2  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

Height: 5'3"

first of all, what kind of work are you doing and what are the hours?
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #3  
I don't look back

S/C/G: 235 / 196.2 / 145

Height: 5'4"

Default ...

I'm an Administrative Assistant. Hours - 8:30 - 5:00. I have a 1/2 hour commute. I walk at least a half mile a day. I need to wear my pedometer to get the exact distance, but the college that I work for does not have adequate parking for staff, so it's a good long walk. I walk back and forth from my car 4 times a day, plus I walk from building to building quite a bit throughout the day. When I wasn't working, I would eat dinner around 4:30-5:00. Now I'm on my way home at 5:00 and away from food.
Losingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259/169/160

Height: 5'5"

I hear you on the late afternoon hunger. My workday goes from 9a to 6p and by 4:30 or so (sometimes earlier) I really feel like I need something if I'm going to make it through to dinner (and not gorge myself once I get home).

My solution has been to plan a high-fiber snack for that hour. Sometimes it's a cup of cold cereal with skim milk, sometimes one packet of instant oatmeal. Something for under 200 calories that will really fill me up and keep me satisfied for a couple of hours -- enough time to stay productive through the end of the day, get home and cook dinner without wanting to chew my own arm off before I make it to the table.

When I get bored with cereal I sometimes substitute a Pria bar or any kind of bar with >4 grams of fiber and 200 calories or less.

Note, these are all things you can keep in your desk drawer at work -- if that's the kind of job you have.

In the past I would sometimes have an apple, which I also found to be really filling, but in the past year or so I've developed an allergy to them so I can't do that anymore, unfortunately.
hollyannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

My recommendation would be to keep fresh fruit on hand. A banana or apple can be eaten while you're walking to your car after work and it's a good, healthy snack. I also keep things like Special K bars (90 calories each) in the counsole of my car. If I already have something with me, I won't hit a drive through!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I have to have an afternoon snack around 4:00 to make it through until I get home. I have things like string cheese, plain yogurt with fruit, a laughing cow cheese wedge, a small handful of nuts. Any of those things will tide me over until dinnertime. If I don't have an afternoon snack, I'm much more likely to walk in the door at home and head straight for the frig. I carpool, so there's no stopping at fast food places, otherwise I might be there too.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #7  
Heather

That's what I was going to say. I usually make it a point to eat a good balanced lunch, plenty of protien and veggies, and that usually holds me over until dinner, which I eat around 6:00. But if I get hungry, I usually eat a fruit or some fresh veggies. I like red ripe tomatoes. I'm trying to avoid carbs, so I don't know about cereal and snack bars and such... Also, drink a glass on unsweetened iced tea or just plain water (if you like plain water, which I don't). These will both help curb your appetite (especially tea, since it contains caffiene)....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #8  
Heather

What is "string cheese"? Is that the cheese stuff that comes in a can?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

No, It's usually part skim mozzarella cheese. It comes in little individual packages, usually 50 - 80 calories per pack.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

first and foremost...it is vitally important you plan your next day meals. I take 5-10 minutes every night getting my lunch made. This ensure i have soemthing to eat and don't get tempted to grab a "quick" lunch at a fast food place. I also eat 5 times a day. I have three meals and at least 2 snacks...trying to eat every 2-3 hours to keep metabolism high. I usually pack fresh fruit and veggies. Lunch i always have protein...i try to limit my carbs at lunch..makes me too sleepy. If i have carbs its whole wheat. Also mid day it does help if i have a high protein snack. My personal favorite (that's easy to bring with you) is Kashi TLC chewy peanut bars...yummie and higher in protein and fiber...to help you fill up. And always make sure you have breakfast...i really does make a difference!!!! good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Lowfat string cheese is a great snack, and it's fun to eat. Appeals to the "child within."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM   #12  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

I really find that high-protein snacks tide me over the best -- cottage cheese, string cheese, a hard-boiled or devilled egg, a slice of ff ham or chicken wrapped around some red pepper strips, etc.
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #13  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I read that and was like: Hey, did I write this? My starting weight was 235- I'm at 209- I took off 6 months of work and I just started back again. During my time off I had plenty of time and energy to dedicate to weight loss. Now working again it is an off and on struggle. PM me if you just want to talk. And don't let work be a fat sentence.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #14  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Losingme!

Don't let TWOville happen to you! TWOville is the jail that I have been in for the last TWENTY YEARS, and once I leave it in TWO MORE POUNDS I am never going back! Stay in ONEderland and LisaMarie and I will be there to join you very soon!

Working is stressful no matter what job you have. Stress makes it hard to lose weight even if your diet is good and you are exercising. I think the key for you right now is to plan a whole day of meals and mini-meals and snacks so that you feel in control of your food intake all the time. This will help with some of your stress and allow you to begin to lose the weight. Later on, you can ease up a bit on the structure of the planning thing because it will then be a new healthy habit.

When you have a minute make a list of the things that you are doing that are HELPING you get to your goal. Make another list of things that are NOT helping you get to your goal. Keep the lists handy and add to each of them as you go. Look at them often. They will help keep you on the straight and narrow!

Pick a short-term goal...say five pounds. Reward yourself with a non-food reward when you reach that goal. Continue onward. Rewards help kids, and they help adults, too!

Good Luck!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote