Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/175/135

Height: 5'3

Default struggling today

Hi Everyone,

I need someone to "talk me down" here-- I am doing my best not to snack and eat all of the junk in my house but I am having such a hard time. I would love to go eat that fattening chocolate muffin from costco right now!!

I have a daycare and it has been so hard no to eat what they eat-- chicken nuggets and tater tots-- I literally had to spit the food out because I stuck the tater tots into my mouth with thinking.. That's so bad!

I just restarted WW and I already feel as if I'm going to fail.

How do you get through your moments/ days of weaknesses??
How do you stay strong??

Last edited by dinajay; 02-26-2007 at 05:03 PM.
dinajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #2  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Dina!

Is there a possibility of adding some raw vegetables and fruits to the daycare meal? In this way you can help the children see you eat in a more healthy way AND can fill up on good, lower-calorie stuff, too!

It's hard when there's "bad" stuff (junk food) all around -especially when you are just starting out on a weight loss journey! At least have some healthy, low-calorie alternatives handy so that you can fill up with "good" stuff.

When you have a quiet time on your own, take a piece of paper or start a journal where you explore all the things you want to be, all the things that you'd like to achieve. Think of all the things that you are already doing that are helping you get the things that you want. Next, write down any things that are preventing you from getting/being what you want. Start chipping away at those things as you are trying to think of ways to achieve the others. Write down every success that you have! Look at your list and add to it regularly. Weight loss is A LOT more emotional than it is physical!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

dinajay, step away from the muffin.

What your'e trying to do is really hard!!! One thing that might help is to make sure that YOU have enough snacks, so that when you're feeding the children, you have something good to eat. And while you're at it, maybe they don't need tater tots or chicken nuggets--maybe you could provide more healthy choices for them, too. (I know, I know, kids are picky! But there may be some better choices they would like? You probably know better than I.)

So, make sure you have snack foods you can eat. Also, make sure you get your own meals on time.

It might also help to make sure you don't have tempting foods around the house, outside of what the children have to have. I realize that if others live with you this may not be possible, though.

Another approach is to put it off. Say "I won't have that now, I'll wait until later." That may give you enough time to get your courage up, or to find a better snack.

Don't think about failing, think about success! You can do this! Don't let a silly muffin be your undoing!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #4  

hi dina : )

must be hard running a daycare with all those kiddies eating those things! I couldn't say it better than the other posters! I agree that having healthy snacks on hand for you to eat will help tremendously so that while they are snacking on the cookies or whatever, you can snack on your own healtheir treats instead! some things that help me:

cover the leftovers or snacks in tinfoil (so you can't see them), put them in the back of the fridge! have plenty of your own healthy snacks readily available in the front, (with clear wrap, so you can see them!). When they eat, you can eat too, but just your healthy stuff and nibble throughout the day so you dont get too hungry, it sure helps in the long run.

I agree with what someone else said here, do NOT say you are going to fail, replace those thoughts with " I will succeed" the power of the mind is amazing! Put a plan in motion. Tomorrow, when i get hungry or whenever i get hungry, I will go for my carrot sticks, salad, etc. etc. Prepare yourself the night before for the next day.

gosh i dont know, how i get through moments of weakness? fight the mind, its always with the mind. no matter if i had a bad day, I will say something like, ok tomorrow is a new day. I am going to do this and this and this..........I prepare myself mentally. I take the depression of today, if it was a downer day, and somehow energize it into my following day. I will do this and I wonttttttttttttt do this! talk to yourself or to your mind incessantly!!!!!!!! have a back up plan ready too! like if you hit a hard moment or stress builds and you want to cave in, now what? back up plan, it can be anytying! a 10 minute walk! or reaching out to someone supportive. You will not fail if you set your mind to success go for it!
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/175/135

Height: 5'3

Thanks you so much for your help-- I made it through the day-- Once I came on here and saw what everyone posted it helped alot!!

I do feed the kids fresh fruits and veggies but of course those aren't the things I want to eat-LOL! But i will have to get myself back into it. I do know it will be easier once I'm on the program longer but right now I feel as if I am obsessing on food.

Maybe I need a detox.

Thanks again so much!
dinajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 AM   #6  

I've had a stressful couple of weeks and I lost my control, binging on chocolate and soda to cope with the stress. I gained 2 lbs last week and was very depressed.

Everyone has weak moments, the key is to forgive yourself and move on. I had someone here tell me to quit binging on the chocolate so I'd stop the gain at 2 lbs and I took her advice. I couldn't immediately implement her advice but the next day, I meditated instead of downing a Hershey's bar and felt much better.

If you're feeling especially weak, come on over here and write a rant. I'm guaranteeing you that the craving would probably be gone by the time you're done writing, reviewing and posting your vent!
dhvaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

When I feel tempted, I often make myself a big cup of black coffee and come here to read. It really does help.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #8  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I ran a day care last year, out of my home in Los Angeles. I had my daughter, son, another boy my sons age, both just a few months old at the time, and 2 kids between the younger boys and my daughter. I so understand what you're going through. In my paperwork I let parents know I wouldn't provide traditional nuggets, fries, tater tots etc. I would take chicken breasts, square them off into kid size pieces, dust them lightly with ground flax seed<you can buy it boxed at wal-mart>, and hwole wheat flour and bake them, frankly, the kids didn't care what they were cooked in, they heard chicken nuggets and were happy. We also did build your own pizza days, whole wheat pita's, cut out with cookie cutters into fun shapes, low fat cheeses, loads of sliced veggies. I also kept the bottom shelf in the fridge full of healthy snacks, precut in those clear gerber food containers. Those new plastic ones. Grapes, turkey, cheese cubes, apples etc, all precut, and for snack time, I would give them those. I also decorated them. Truly, all most kids care about, is the cool/sparkly/I can do it myself packaging. So, cut grapes, carrots, cubes of cheese etc, give those to the kids, you have an adult portion. Smoothies always went over well, too. FF Yogurt, drop some fruit in there, pineapple, oranges, apples, strawberries<if no allergies!>, I always added fish oil and ground flax seed for extra OOMPH for the kids. I let them take turns handing me the fruit, let the older ones dump the yogurt in, and let them all watch you blend it, pour into the disposable small, bathroom dixie cups and give each kid a spoon, they'll LOVE it.

IMO, there's NO reason kids need to eat crap food. Sure, it's what they like, but these same kids will eat a turd out of a cat box, so we're NOT relying on them for taste. As long as they get to help in some way, or the packaging is cool, they'll eat anything you put in front of them. This way, you eat what they eat, and you dont feel deprived.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
..these same kids will eat a turd out of a cat box, so we're NOT relying on them for taste.
so true!!!!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #10  
Groovin 4 a small planet

S/C/G: 2002: 205/129 Now: 155/144/125

Height: 5'4

Angihas2, when and if I have kids, will you be my nanny? Seriously, that is just awesome, and I am glad there are people out there like you, stressing healthy eating for children. I was just watching the news about that poor 8 year old child who is slowly being fed to death by his parents. He is over 200 pounds. SO. SAD. SO. UNNECESSARY.
JaimePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #11  
Groovin 4 a small planet

S/C/G: 2002: 205/129 Now: 155/144/125

Height: 5'4

Sorry, just asked BF-8 year old boy is actually 218 pounds, and the government (I think they are in the UK somewhere) is debating taking him away from his family for his own good.
JaimePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #12  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

lol, if I was still in the nanny/daycare business, JamiePhan, absolutely. But, I'm not, I realised while I enjoy my kids, I don't much like having other peoples kids in my house ALL THE TIME! I also got burnt out on never being "away from work". Even when I was "closed" I've still got my spitballs running around, my house is still a daycare etc etc. Amazingly, alot of in home day cares are going the more natural, wholesome way. I know of several in the greater Los Angeles area as well as some in Canada, it's finding that one person you mesh with, your kids like and who respects your attitudes towards food.

I will say, I've always been a bit of a Hitler about my kids food, I knew I never wanted them to have my food/weight issues, so have always treated food as something we need for survival, but not for fun. I never bribe with food, I don't withhold dessert because they didn't eat all their dinner, but desserts in this house are fruits, on occasion some ff yogurt with flaxseed, honey fish oil, semi frozen so its firm, then fruit layered on it, we call it fruit pizza. I think when it comes to kids and food, they truly do not care what it is, if you make it seem fun, if you actually eat it, they'll eat it. I saw alot of kids who wouldn't eat veggies, because mom/dad made gagging noises when they saw JR eating broccoli or brussel sprouts etc.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote