Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Default Chocolate Fix!

Hi ladies,

I am a complete fiend for chocolate; I find it to be a necessary part of my diet. How do the chocoholics among you get your daily chocolate fix? I used to eat those Skinny Cow cookie sandwiches or popcicles, but they are pretty disgusting. I bought a box of the Weight Watchers Giant Chocolate Cookie ice creams the other day and they're not bad--certainly better than Skinny Cow products. Ideally, I'd be able to eat a serving (or half a serving) of Cadbury's Dairy Milk Chocolate, which is my favorite, but I really can't be trusted to stop eating after one serving, so that's out of the question for the moment. Fun Size Snickers are pretty good too, at 70/cals apiece; the trouble with those is that I tend to want to eat one after lunch as well as after dinner and those 70 cals start to add up.

What do you do?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat dark chocolate bars. A little bit goes a long way. I strive for bars that have 70% cocao or more. I eat a piece or 2, which is at most 100 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #3  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Check out the TCBY chocolate sorbet bars. You'd never know it wasn't a full fat treat!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

I buy 35g Lindt chocolate bars (usually the 70% dark, but sometimes the milk chocolate if I'm craving it). They're 190-200 calories each, but it feels like a lot of chocolate and if I plan to include it, it doesn't stall my weight loss at all.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/189/155

Height: 6 feet

Smile

Hi,
I can totally sympathise with the need for chocolate. What I do is use will power all day (this is the hard part) to stop myself, then when the kids are in bed and I can relax and unwind I allow myself 10 Cadbury's Mini Eggs, I know it doesn't sound much, but I usually suck them slowly and let the chocolate melt and ooze out of the shells, I can usually make 10 eggs last at least 15 mins, by which time I feel like I've had a reasonable chocolate hit for the day.
Like you I would rather have a smaller quantity of nice chocolate, rather than fill up on chocolate flavoured products.

Another suggestion is to buy a really good quality dark chocolate like Lindt 75% cocoa, if you break up a couple of squares into really small pieces and allow each one to melt slowly under your tongue you really can appreciate the flavour and intensity of the chocolate. Of course this does depend on whether you like dark chocolate or not, I know most don't, I was not as keen as I was on milk, but after trying this, if you're trying to cut back on calories, I can't recommend it enough.

Anyway good luck with whatever works for you!
Aspiring MILF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

1 dove dark promise - 42 calories
1 hershey nugget - 53 calories
Plain M&Ms - 3.4 calories each -although these dont do it for me like good dark chocolate.
1 Thin Mint - 37 calories.

I usually only eat the dove or the hersheys dark. I dont like sugar free inferior chocolate, it doesnt fulfill me. But I have one every day.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #7  

I'll second (third? fourth? ) the suggestion to go for some dark chocolate - a little bit each day gets you some good antioxidants, and the intense taste of dark chocolate will satisfy a craving on very few calories. I used to only eat milk chocolate, but have now developed a taste for the dark and can't stomach the sweetness of milk chocolate anymore.

Ever notice how easy it is to scarf down a whole bar of milk chocolate without really thinking about it? And how right afterwards, you could probably manage another? That doesn't usually happen with dark chocolate as it's so rich - it provides way more satisfaction ounce per ounce! Treat yourself to some Lindt, El Ray, or - my FAVE!! - Green & Black's organic. Very delicious!

Alternately - I don't know if they have these where you live, but they're in Canada - you could try the Cadbury Thins bars. They are individually packaged and only 100 calories a piece. They are regular chocolate (not "light"), just in a controlled-calorie package - a good choice if you just can't get into dark chocolate and want some portion controlled milk chocolate.

HTH!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I love dark chocolate, actually-- I have a thing for Cadbury's Dairy Milk (it's so creamy!) but in general I prefer dark. Next time I'm at the store I'll have a look for something dark, high-quality and packaged by the serving. Yum!!

(Speaking of by the serving packaging--have you guys seen the adorable little individual servings of Ben & Jerry's? It's a total waste of packaging and the calories are still sky-high, but at least you're forced to stop after a single serving.)

Last edited by baffled111; 02-27-2007 at 05:37 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #9  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

I buy semi-sweet or bitter sweet chips. I like Ghirardelli.
32 chips has 70 calories and 4.5 grams of fat.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

lindt excellence 85% or 70%

my chocolate HAS to be greater than 60%- I used to hate dark chocolate, but once you start, you cant ever go back. I like it dark because I love the CHOCOLATE flavor, instead of milk chocolates since those are just sugar and no real chocolately flavor.

I got a tip from another woman here- if you buy high quality chocolate, you'll be tempted to eat it less.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Lindt even has a 99% chocolate but it is crazy. One small piece and you really get your chocolate fix.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #12  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Chocolate protein bar. Usually one of those a day covers the craving.

If I'm still craving 100 calorie packs, either the oreo or the new fudge shop ones. I pour them out onto a plate and eat them slowly one by one!

If I'm at work and really stressed, I keep one quarter and only one quater in my work wallet. I get out into the mall and get to a machine for either peanut or plain m&m's. It's a small amount and that usually does the trick.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #13  

hello there fellow chocoholics!!
Not only am I a chocolate lover, i have a really serious sweet tooth and i recently discovered Klondike Slim-a-Bear ice cream. so so so so yummy!! they have the ice cream sandwiches which in WW come out to 2 points, then they have the typical chocolate covered ice cream that low in calories, too. AND my favorite are the fudge pops-which are so so yummy-AND JUST ONE POINT IN WEIGHT WATCHERS!!!! i was so happy when i found it and especially since it is actually good and is pretty big in size compared to other sweet servings. i totally recommend them!
Bean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #14  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Chocoloholics unite!

I need at least a small chocolate fix almost every day. And while that might sound drastic, I always allow the calories in my daily total and I try not to go too crazy but it's what allows me to stay sane and stick with healthy eating the rest of the time.

Us Canadians don't have all the same choices as some of you down south but being a milk chocolate lover, I often have a Cadbury Thin. They come in plain milk chocolate, plain dark chocolate, milk chocolate toffee and mint chocolate. All delicious and all 100 calories.

I am not easily able to "just have a piece" and save the rest for later so I need something where I can eat the whole thing. Sometimes I have two lower fat oreos or a couple of halloween size chocolates. I also have these mini ice cream sandwiches (I think they're kid-size) for 90 calories.

I do have to say that even though I'm a milk chocolate lover, I am inspired to try some really good dark chocolate since it seems to get such great reviews from so many of you.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #15  
LLV

These things are great and they're 60 calories each.

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/sticks.asp

I've got the milk chocolate and the chocolate-caramel. I'm not a fan of dark chocolate, but they have that flavor as well.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote