Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Question Sodium

I think this is a key as to why my weight lose has not been better. I'm happy that I've lost 12 lbs... but I think it should be better considering I started at 246 lbs and I'm only 5' 0"

Fitday tracks everything for me.. which I love.

My absolute max sodium intake should be no more then 2400mg. Last week it averaged 3038 per day, this past month it averaged 3379 mg per day! Ouch.

I know I should have less processed foods.. that is key. Canned veggies.. I buy no salt added... canned soup.. I buy low sodium. I should learn to make my own soup.

Do any of you have any ideas? This week I'm going to focus on this area and try to drink more water!

Thanks,
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Dana - when I started this journey, I made the conscious decision to cut out the processed foods, AND the sugars. Some folks say that is unrealistic, but for me, I KNEW that is what it was going to take for me to loose (I've tried literally everything else)

The positive side to it was I feel SO MUCH BETTER. I still have a mountain of weight to loose, but I don't care. I know I will get there, and I will feel good while I am doing it. I do not feel one bit deprived - NADA. I can really TASTE the sweetness of the foods I eat, fresh carrots are incredibly sweet once you really taste them! Plain nonfat yogurt, I LOVE the tang of it with some fresh sweet fruit! The list goes on and on.

There is so much sodium and just crap in the foods we buy now, it is awful. Just look at the labels (yes, it does take time to do that, but it is an eye opener for sure)

I make a trip to the store several times a week now so that I have the fresh produce here all the time. I can't wait to have a garden this summer (exercise and fresh vegies - how great is that??)

I am not an expert, and I have only been on this journey for 2 months now, but I have lost 28 pounds, and over 20 inches of me in the process. (and I move now, I don't just sit in a chair all day - I walk without fail for 30 minutes and do an exercise tape every other day) The one thing that I do know - is THIS time it is forever. I am doing something I can live with. You need to find what works for you and just be consistent.

Good luck. We're all here, and we're all fighting the same battles!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Dana,

I tend to retain a lot of water when my sodium intake goes up. I know that being swollen makes me feel sluggish and tired and my feet and knees will hurt. Other than weight loss, have you notice any negative results from the sodium intake!

Fresh fruits and vegetables are definitely much better for you health. Frozen is also a good option. Honestly, using some frozen vegetables helps to save my grocery bill!

You mentioned on another thread that it might be time to start exercising. I can definitely recommend the exercise. I've noticed that the weight comes off a little easier when I do my daily walk.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #4  
one sexy science teacher

S/C/G: 231/194/130

Height: 5'5"

One thing I've noticed since I've seriously been watching my sodium intake is that foods taste better for me, on top of the weight loss I've experienced. I've been having a lot of fun experimenting with herbs and seasonings that add flavor without sodium. cilantro has been my favorite!
haeyu14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #5  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar View Post
IMy absolute max sodium intake should be no more then 2400mg. Last week it averaged 3038 per day, this past month it averaged 3379 mg per day! Ouch.

I know how you feel. Mine for the month is 3444.7
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't think you need to replace the canned veggies if you're already buying the "no salt added" kind. I often can't find the no salt added variety, so I buy the regular canned veggies and rinse them well with water to remove as much of the excess salt as possible.

With 3000+ mg sodium, I would think maybe it's more than just canned veggies and soups as the culprit. Do you regularly eat frozen meals (Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choice, SmartOnes, etc.)? or cottage cheese? or lots of salsa? or lots of things marketed as sugar free/fat free (they often add salt to improve the flavor from lack of fat and sugar)? It's not always only in the foods we expect
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #7  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

How about diet soda? Some of those are loaded with sodium!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylou View Post
How about diet soda? Some of those are loaded with sodium!
I'm not sure where this idea comes from (and I used to believe it, too, untill I, umm, looked at the label on my diet sodas ), but a typical diet soda only has about 30-50mg sodium per serving (either 8oz or 1 can--check the serving size on the container). Unless you're drinking upwards of 10 servings a day, I wouldn't worry about it much
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #9  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

A few weeks ago, my mother, son and I went out to Pizza Hut for dinner. We ordered a large pizza and Caesar salad. I had salad and 1 piece of pizza at dinner that night and ended up with a half a pizza and some salad to take home. My son was off at camp in the days that followed, so I ate all the leftovers myself over 4 meals because I didn't want to waste them. 1 piece of pizza for lunch, dinner, lunch, dinner over two days.

So three days of all pizza all the time, and I ended up feeling like Morgan Spurlock. I wasn't overeating at any meal and eating mostly healthy foods otherwise, so I was shocked at how lousy and bloated and poorly nourished I still felt. I checked the Pizza Hut site and was completely floored at the obnoxious levels of sodium in just one slice of a well dressed pizza. The Caesar salad wasn't much better. You really have to be aware.
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

i never really understood the point of watching sodium intake. i guess i understand the swollen aspect of it, but the water weight issue... it doesnt bother me. if i step on the scale and have 3 lbs of water weight, and i know its water weight, then why should i care about it?
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

You should worry about sodium because it jacks your blood pressure. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to a lot of other problems, including stroke & heart disease.

I can't have much sodium due to my kidney disease. The doc wants me below 1000mg per day. Some days that is not possible, but I do the best I can.

Dana, the first step is to take the saltshaker off the table. Sounds simple, but really there's never a need for it.

Pickles, microwave popcorn, vegetable juice/V8, salad dressing, cottage cheese, and any cheese forthat matter, chinese food, and almost anything eaten in a restaurant has a lot of sodium. Salt tastes good & yes your body does need a certain amount, but nowhere near the amount we are all getting.

I use Mrs Dash to season food. I know my diet root beer had quite a bit of sodium in it.

Healthy Request soups are lower in sodium than the 25% less sodium. Also, Progresso makes soups with 50% less sodium, those rule! Herb Ox makes a sodium free chicken broth. It comes in 8 little packets that each make 1 cup of broth. I like to keep those here for when I just need a nice snack.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 04-13-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: to add more foods.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Dana, I think Mrs. Quadcrew kinda said it best. The key is consistiency. Therefore it is VITAL to find something that you can stick to. I'm curious as to why you don't use fresh vegetables instead of canned, homemade soups as opposed to canned. It might be a little more extra work, but it is sooo very worth it. The quality of the food just can't be compared. If it tastes better you are more likely to stay on plan. You also get a different mind frame when you are eating healthy, fresh foods, high in nutritional value. It just puts you in the right state of mind. I think you have to look at other things as well as your sodium intake. Calories are really important and for optimal LONGTERM weightloss they really do have to be nutritious ones. And then of course there's exercise. They truly go hand in hand. Be very proud of your 12 lbs. Very. It's a great start. You have to decide when (and if) you want to kick it up a notch. Because you've got the room to do it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #13  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'm not sure where this idea comes from (and I used to believe it, too, untill I, umm, looked at the label on my diet sodas ), but a typical diet soda only has about 30-50mg sodium per serving (either 8oz or 1 can--check the serving size on the container). Unless you're drinking upwards of 10 servings a day, I wouldn't worry about it much
Unless it was a misprint, and I checked it twice, Diet A&W has 100 mg in a can. And if you're like my husband, you drink 3-4 minimum per day, resulting in 300-400 extra mg of sodium per day.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #14  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

My advice is to ditch the canned foods altogether. Even the "low sodium" ones have too much salt. Fresh fruits and vegetables are your best bet. Barring that, you can use frozen ones, but stay away from the pre-packed stir-fry medleys with sauces. They are a sodium mega-bomb.

Good luck!
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace View Post
You should worry about sodium because it jacks your blood pressure. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to a lot of other problems, including stroke & heart disease.
I understand what high blood pressure does, and that sodium can cause high blood pressure. what i was saying is that if someone doesnt have high blood pressure and why would they actively count and be concerned with their sodium intake. mostly what i see on these weight loss communities is 'omg i cant eat salt before my weigh in.' or people taking water pills before their weigh in...which is what i was referring to, it doesnt make sense to me to be concerned with water weight. just like why would you cry over some extra weight during TOM. i feel like your response was condescending and i dont appreciate it.
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote