Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone else sing while doing cardio?

I have a cross trainer at home and lately I've noticed that just listening to my music isn't enough I always want to sing along with the music, so the last few times I tried and my workout has improved! My stamina was GREAT, I didn't fatigue as quickly so I was able to extend my workout at a faster pace I think I wasn't breathing enough before.......does this make sense?
I sound horrible, but I feel sOOOO much better after my workout!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #2  
Token Vulcan

Oh, I sing, sometimes I do the fantasy rockstar thing and sometimes when I do my indoor jogging, if I have the Rocky theme on, I'll do punches, lol. I have a very vivid imagination...er...visualization. I don't know if it does anything for me in terms of breathing or stamina but it just makes me have more fun with it. That's one of the reasons I have music on, to make exercising more enjoyable for myself as well as to have something to focus on and time myself with. It all works to boost my mood and make me want to keep at it. Whatever works!
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

When I run outside I listen to the radio and one of the stations has these 2 crazy guys bantering back and forth... I laugh a LOT, people must think I am nuts... I don't sing because I am concentrating on my breathing when I run, but I can see how it would help to sing...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I read that to work out at a good aerobic pace, you should still be able to talk, but not able to sing...so I've sung a few times to see if I was at that level. I sing in my head, though.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My son waves in my face and says .... "Mom, that's your outside voice." Apparently in his world I don't sound like Robert Palmer
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I sing in my head, though.
OMG, I think I'm really tired, that just made crack up

Night
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have the music up loud and am singing along. Until I get too short of breath and then I have to quit singing.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #8  
Goodbye Fat!

I sing inbetween breaths or when I am taking it down a notch. But mostly I sing in my head.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I was at the gym one morning and there was this big hulking guy lifting tons of weight, muscle shirt on, sweaty, grunting during his sets, the whole nine yards. When he finished at the squat rack and walked away he started singing along to what was playing on his iPod. I thought I would die laughing cause the Incredible Hulk was singing "You need a man with sen-si-ti-vity!"

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

Sometimes while I'm running outside, if there is NO ONE around, I take dance breaks. No laughing. But NO ONE will ever see that! Eeek!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #11  

Quote:
When I run outside I listen to the radio and one of the stations has these 2 crazy guys bantering back and forth... I laugh a LOT, people must think I am nuts... I don't sing because I am concentrating on my breathing when I run, but I can see how it would help to sing...
I have asthma so I find running outside a big distraction, plus my allergies flare. When I first started exercising regularly I really needed to JUST concentrate on breathing or I would have an attack. Now that I have my asthma under control I think I was getting distracted by the music and not breathing right again
Quote:
have the music up loud and am singing along. Until I get too short of breath and then I have to quit singing.
This is why I sound horrible
Quote:
I read that to work out at a good aerobic pace, you should still be able to talk, but not able to sing...so I've sung a few times to see if I was at that level. I sing in my head, though.
I heard this too, but then I saw the Black Eyed Peas in concert and saw all the moves that Fergie could do while still singing and thought I really want to be able to do that!! Not that I would do that in front of millions of people but to have that kind of stamina! It was amazing!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 244/241/175

Height: 5ft 10in

I saw Billy Blanks, Jr. on the Ellen Degeneres show last week, I think, demonstrating pretty much what you're talking about. I thought it was a great idea. The lady who lives below me didn't agree :~) Here is a little snippet from his website, www.cardioke.com

"Billy Blanks, Jr. has taken cardio-dance, body sculpting and combined it with the fun of group karaoke to create a high energy, stamina building, total body, highly effective fitness program for all ages, shapes, and lifestyles. Although Billy Blanks Jr.'s Cardioke™ is being targeted for women and teens (the forgotten demographic) it truly is for everyone and is the only fitness program where you see age range from 9 – 73 all in the same class sweating and having fun! Billy Blanks Jr.s Cardioke™ plans for the future include; A wide array of exercise videos for all levels and music genres, Cardioke™ Centers across America & Japan, Stadium tours as well as high school middle school and college tours."

You can be assured that I will sing and dance as often as possible! It looks like so much fun. Just have to get the lady downstairs to see things my way...

Kyrie
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

OMG I TOTALLY WANT TO DO CARDIOKE!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes when I want a little workout, but not a big one, I put my Karaoke Revolution game on my PS2, put on the britney-spears style headset, and have a little dance/sing concert in front of my television. Dance breaks are the best. If you don't know what Karaoke Revolution is, you sing along with a song into a USB microphone/headset, and it measures based on your voice frequency and rhythm how on-pitch you are, and gives you a score. Loves it!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #14  

Quote:
I saw Billy Blanks, Jr. on the Ellen Degeneres show last week, I think, demonstrating pretty much what you're talking about. I thought it was a great idea. The lady who lives below me didn't agree :~) Here is a little snippet from his website, www.cardioke.com
LOVE THAT! Pretty much what I'm doing, but I don't always do just hip-hop or dance music. Anything with a good beat and songs that I have to hold the notes to. Right now I've been working out to Gretchen Wilson and Big n Rich.........still works!
Quote:
Sometimes when I want a little workout, but not a big one, I put my Karaoke Revolution game on my PS2, put on the britney-spears style headset, and have a little dance/sing concert in front of my television.
I really want to get DDR, but there is a basement to our apartment and the flooring is all funky. Every time I jump everything on the entertainment center gets jolted Can't wait to get a house!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #15  

Ooooooh, Cardioke looks like SO much fun!!! I, too, like to sing when I workout. Trouble with most exercise videos, though is the music is REALLY bad.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote