Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #1  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Hummus

I tried hummus for the 1st time last night. It was great! Nobody else liked it but me. I got the roasted garlic flavor and some whole wheat crackers to eat with it.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

Yes hummus is quite yummy! If you have a Trader Joe's by you they sell a container of hummus with 4 different flavors that are all great so you have even more variety. I usually eat it with carrots, cucumber or whatever veggies are around!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's very easy to make at home too. I make hummus and other bean dips alot. Just a can of beans and some seasonings into the food processor and whir it up until it's as smooth as you want it.

I also recently found an "instant" hummus - Casbah brand. Fresh is more nutritious, but it doesn't last very long in the fridge. For times when I want just a little bit - the instant is perfect. The box directions call for adding water to the whole boxes contents, but I put the mix into a ziploc bag and only take out a couple tablespoons at a time and add a little bit of water in a small bowl til it's the consistency I want it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

LOVE hummus. Its also one of the few really healthy things my dd adores. lol--she thinks she is getting a "treat" when she gets hummus.

I use it instead of mayo on sandwiches. My revamped comfort food recipe I made last week was a BLT. I used light whole wheat bread, hummus, tomato, spinach and turkey bacon. OMG - better than the original, tastes super decadant, and definitely on plan!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3''

My dad is the person who makes some of the hummus that sells through Trader Joe's so we eat it here all the time. He always has all the extra. Especially that four flavored and triple layered one.
WeightOnMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #6  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

We dont have a Trader Joe's here. Ennay, that sandwhich sounds delicious!!!
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I bought a 4-flavor pack of hummus just last weekend at a big chain grocery store, so they go beyond just TJ's
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #8  

I've got a "trailer park hummus" recipe that sounds horrid, but tastes really good. In a food processor you puree a can of vegetarian baked beans, 1 tbs of ketchup, and about 2 tbs of minced sweet onion (or about a 1.5 inch chunk as the food processor will mince it while it mashes the beans). Serve it on whole grain toast or crispbread, or as a dip for veggies.

I also like white beans (lima beans, butter beans, white kidney beans...) with a little light or fat free italian dressing.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #9  

At Shop N Save here in East Missouri I found small packages, 2.4 ounces of Wild Garden hummus. It says it's two servings, but 35 calories per serving I just eat a whole one. It comes in those paper juice-box style of packages and doesn't need to be refridgerated. It is really good and worth seeking out! If the store didn't carry it I would buy it online. It can be found at http://www.wildgarden.biz/ .
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi girls,

My feeling is that if you have five minutes, hummus is something you can make at home and not something that you need to buy processed from the store. Hummus is *really* easy and cheap to make at home. Take a can of drained chickpeas, a spoonful of tahini (one container lasts in the fridge FOREVER), a squirt of lemon juice, a small clove of garlic, some salt, pepper and cumin (a dash of cayenne if you like some spice) and throw it in the food processor. Add a little bit of oil and a bunch of reserved juice from the chickpeas to blend it all together. Voila. Hummus. Much cheaper, and much easier to customize to your palate and calorie requirements.

Why buy processed hummus when it literally takes five minutes to make it yourself?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #11  

I've also noticed that when you make it yourself, it seems to hold up a little better than storebought. Some prepared hummus brands start to taste "off" quickly once they're opened. Either way, you want to use hummus and bean spreads within a few days, but I"ve had some from the grocery store that were really only edible the day they were opened.

My husband doesn't like any of the bean pates, so I usually can't finish a batch or package of hummus before I have to throw it out. With some hummus in the store running up to $5 a carton, I felt bad about it until I started making my own. With homemade, I don't feel bad since most beans and even chickpeas from Walmart or Aldi cost between .49 and 1.00.

You can also make a variety of "dishes" just by mixing and matching seasonings, your choice of bean, how much liquid you add, and how thouroughly you mash the beans. You can make bean "burgers" by adding little or no liquid, some cracker crumbs, and keeping the beans chunky, or you can add chicken or veggie broth and make bean soup (leaving some or all of the beans whole, or pureeing until smooth).
Old 02-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
Why buy processed hummus when it literally takes five minutes to make it yourself?
Because I love Tribe brand's roasted red pepper hummus, and whenever I try to make it myself at home, it never tastes quite the same--and I only eat hummus maybe once every other month or so, so I just grab it at the store since I despise pretty much anything cooking-related
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #13  

Quote:
Add a little bit of oil and a bunch of reserved juice from the chickpeas to blend it all together.
You don't even need to add the oil. I never do.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
since I despise pretty much anything cooking-related
Jillybean, how do you manage to lose weight without cooking for yourself??? I can't even imagine! But then, I do like to cook, and I tend to prefer foods that I or my bf have made to store-bought, processed foods.

MariaMaria: I've never tried to make hummus with no oil at all, but maybe I should give it a go. As I mentioned in another thread, I like to roast garlic on occasion, and when I do, I save the oil (now infused with roasted garlic flavor) and use a little bit of it in hummus to make it roasted garlic flavored. Yum!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

lol...I used to like mine better, then I found the kings harvest. It is probably super expensive but it is less oily than most and most important to me, dd loves it. we eat a lot though, I usually get 1-2 packages a week (8 oz)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote