Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Fiber

OK, I am going to say it

Am I the only one who really cant imagine getting too little fiber? I eat an AVERAGE of 35 g a day. I've had days where it is up in the 50's. For me a "bad day" is 25-30

Am I that weird?

(I know I might be stripping minerals eating that much fiber--but its just normal eating to me)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

Where do you get most of your fiber in your diet? I don't think I've paid attention to it before, unless I'm having problems with digestion and certain other bodily functions.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I eat salad to start almost every meal (lunch and dinner).
Veggies in my omelet
Flaxseed in my oatmeal
apples and nuts for snacks or veggies with hummus

On days when I add beans to the mix I usually go near 50.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I think I may miss out on a lot of fiber due to my dislike of most veggies. I go days in a row without consuming a single veggie sometimes (and yes, I've tried many different kinds of veggies and have tried them prepared in many different ways--I'm not just being stubborn as most people tend to assume). I don't eat a lot of fruit because it goes bad too quickly, plus I've had horrible luck with fresh fruit lately (very dry apples, clementines that go bad in a few days, oranges that seem to have no flavor even though I know enough to "pick a fruit that seems heavy for its size," etc.). I occasionally eat some apple sauce (all natural, no sugar) or some canned pineapple (packed in juice), but those are not everyday staples.

When I'm eating better (as in, not out at restaurants as I did every night this week), I get maybe 20g fiber a day according to my fitday, but there are some days that are as low as 6g fiber. Is that normal? I don't usually pay attention to my fiber intake.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I get maybe 20g fiber a day according to my fitday, but there are some days that are as low as 6g fiber. Is that normal? I don't usually pay attention to my fiber intake.
The recommended amount is 25-35g for adults.

Lol - so we both wonder if we are normal...I couldnt fathom getting only 6 g a day. I had 10 at breakfast.

I looked back through fitday since I started keeping track and my absolute lowest day was 16...and I remember that day, I used most of my calories at a cookie party. And the 2 days following it were way over 40 as I got rid of the bloat from too many calories on too little fiber.

Heck...I'm already at 36 and I just finished lunch--and I didnt even have salad (but I did have homemade THICK split pea soup)

whoops, make that 37, even my chocolate has fiber....
Old 02-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #6  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

It's hard for me to get all my fiber in most of the time, but if I don't get at least 25g in, I feel gross. I feel bloated and heavy and have almost no energy.

So I can imagine getting too little fiber a day, but it wouldn't be pleasant for me.
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

I am with you Ennay,
I get so much fibre everyday. My minimum as I look back in my journal is 35g of fibre. That was only one day. Wow, I just thought everyone ate a lot of fibre. Who knew.
Wanna be a loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #8  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Ennay I was considering asking the very same question!

I just saw a commercial for "Fiber source" or something like that - powder stuff that you can add to any meal and it's fiber apparently. I too have a hard time understanding that it may be hard for some people to eat enough fiber. I guess in my mind, everything has fiber but that's probably because I eat a ton of fresh produce, along with whole grain bread/pasta, etc. my milk has some fiber, PB, .. so it seems like everything does to me lol.

Jilly -
Quote:
I go days in a row without consuming a single veggie sometimes
I think I would die! That's a tad melodramatic but oh my gosh.. I love fresh fruits and vegetables. I eat vegetables daily, but sometimes they come steamed or in pasta, etc. so that every now and then I get this insane craving for salad and it tastes sooo good when I finally have it! You'd think I was enjoying chocolate I guess I consider myself lucky for that. Though it makes me wonder if it's much more difficult to lose weight not liking the stuff - kudos to you and everyone else who's still doing it!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
Though it makes me wonder if it's much more difficult to lose weight not liking the stuff - kudos to you and everyone else who's still doing it!
DEFINITELY harder! Whenever I ask advice because I feel hungry, the first suggestion I hear is to bulk up my meals with lots of veggies. Well, that would certainly make me lose weight since most of them literally make me gag
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote