Old 02-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #1  
Member of the Gold Plan

Default lites--which are the worst?

Today I went for my weigh in (total down 4.8# since Monday whoohoo!)
Anyway, we were talking about the Lites since I am required to purchase them. My thoughts are this---I will never get over my cravings for sweets and chocolate if I have to eat them twice a day. I told my counselor that so we went for non-chocolate and I got lemon.
Which of course are freaking delicious! Now I have to lose a lemon-merengue craving as well.
Are there any bars that..well..don't taste very good? I know that I didn't like the pb chocolate but I want to avoid all chocolate flavored bars 3 out of 4 weeks a month, at least for now. Hopefully in a few months I will lose the monthly cravings as well. The Key Lime sounds unappealing as I don't like lime, so I might get that one next.
I just want to lose the cravings all together, not replace them for something I am eventually going to stop eating next year anyway.
coopergrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #2  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

I also like the Honey Nougat with the Lemon for my morning bars so I don't like chocolate early in the day. The two I did not like at all were Smores, like a bad marshmellow and Chocolate Cherry. Remember though you should have something you enjoy. When you are having lots of changes to your diet you may enjoy a once a day treat of chocolate.. it's about moderation so you don't have to give up everything you love.. it's now been shown that dark chocolate is good for you!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #3  
Member of the Gold Plan

Yeah I know but I have to lose the all consuming cravings. I quit smoking cold turkey after 14 years too, lol.
I just went to the LAWL site and looked up the fat/sat fat amounts in the bars. Youch. They are not so good. Most are about 10% in each bar. Even tho there are not transfats, they still use partially hydrogenated and fractionated oils which are the processes that create trans fats. Now I am worried! The fruit/oat one was one of the worst!
I will have to study more boxes at the center when I go.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Coop - Yeah, the bars are not the healthiest, but I reasoned it by telling myself that one year of eating the bars was still healthier than staying overweight forever. Besides the bars they do offer shakes and drinks that are around 60 calories. Hot cocoa and cream of chicken soup. Maybe you can do two liquid lites per day if you're afraid of the chocolate?
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #5  
Member of the Gold Plan

Thats a great idea! I did see the soup and that looked pretty good!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #6  
Jenn, mama to Micki

That kinda of confuses me. So, we have the choice of eating a bar (which I'm guessing is around 200 cal) or a soup/drink that is 60 cal? Per day, that can be a 280 cal/day difference. Weekly, that's almost a 2000 calorie difference!

That seems really inconsistent.
JennAPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

The bars are 160-180, the liquids are around 60. Yes, it's a difference, but it's not an inconsistency in the program. It's sometimes suggested that you switch between the two to mix things up so your body doesn't know what to expect.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #8  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

You know you really aren't required to buy the bars. You can go to an all food plan, of course if you are in it for the rebate, then you are out of luck there unless you suddenly come up with an allergic reaction to soy or have IBS and medically cannot eat the bars. I don't think you should eat the ones that you don't like just so you don't get cravings for them. The lites for me actually help keep me out of the candy. Over the last year, I have gone from loving the lites to actually not caring for them anymore. The peanut butter was my favorite and now I can really taste the soy in them. I also just had a caramel one after about 5 weeks and it was so sweet to me that I couldn't finish it. I actually have been eating either regular oatmeal or a packet of the quaker weight control oatmeal in exchange for a lite about 4 times a week since the nutritionals are very similar.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is, if you don't want the sweet junk in your diet, then go to an all food plan and eat a little cleaner.

You are going to pay way more for the lites than you are going to get back in a rebate or even for the extra weeks you may need to buy in the guarantee. So don't buy them if you don't want them.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #9  
Jenn, mama to Micki

Actually, I'm pretty sure they changed the program recently. In my contract it pretty much says that I WILL buy the bars at $29/week (or whatever the exact amount is). And, there was absolutely no mention of refunds or guarantees.

I think I can get out of it if I have an allergy - and the bars have been giving me problems because I have a peanut sensitivity. However, that will just cut out some of the bars. And, in reality, the bars ARE a convenience and I'm sure I can find a couple I like, but I'm not sure how I feel about having no say or choice in the matter. And, I'm worried that I'll eventually get really sick of them after 2 years of eating them.

Ah well...
JennAPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #10  
Member of the Gold Plan

Yes my contract too says that I must buy them. I told them that if my thyroid levels get messed up I will NOT have them and that is okay with a doctor note. So I have a medical out I guess.
BUT buying them...does not mean I have to eat them. Yes I know major waste of money to purchase and not use. HUGE waste of money. But still I am in control of what I eat in the long run, its my money. They have their portion of it when I pay for boxes.
So I will see what happens.
I did try the pecan-toffee popcorn last night. It was actually quite good. I went to applebees, had the grilled chicken salad w/ ff dressing on the side, no croutons, no bread and then had the popcorn during the movie we went to after the movie. Worked out great!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #11  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I am very curious about the new contract. If either of you have time, will you type to us exactly what it says about the purchasing of lites? I am a non-lite user.........I have a soy intolerance............that I did not discover until after I had purchased 8 weeks worth of bars. I got it all resolved with my COD, but I am very curious about "having to purchase the lites." If you don't have time, don't sweat it.......I am only curious.

Oh, and welcome to bot of you
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #12  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I would be interested too, I don't think that they can force you to buy something you do not want. Maybe if it was extremely important to the program, I could see that, but they are not.

Are you guys going to a center or are you doing the LA online program? I know that the price of the online program includes the lites.

If you are going to a center and you don't buy ALL you lites in bulk in the beginning, there is no way they can force you buy more. What are they going to do, kick you out?? If the contracts haven't changed, the lites give you a guarantee that if you don't make your 2 lbs. a week and you are going in 3 times for WI and following the plan, then they will continue your program at no cost to you until you reach your goal.

If the requirement is right, then I say sell them on Ebay.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #13  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Deb..........so love the new avatar. It is good to see you here...........if you are anything like me.......when you are checking in regularily, you are usually doing well OP. Well, me not so much tonight (oops)....but overall.....I am really trying to get in a good losing pattern again. I love your posts......and your honesty. You helped me soooo much when I first started. Thanks.
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #14  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Height: 5'5"

I asked about the rebate awhile back and they said that it was around Thanksgiving that they did away with the rebate. I'll have to go find my contract to see what it says about the lites. But yeah, I signed up on 12/8, so no rebate for me.

As for the grossest lite? My vote goes to the Fruit & Oat one. Ick. If you're wanting to NOT like the peanut butter one, be sure you don't microwave it...you'll be addicted to them then!
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #15  
Wendy II

S/C/G: 206/201/160

Height: 5'4"

My COD still offers the rebate.. don't know if it's a corp or a franchise though.. and I hated the chococlate cherry lites.. Ick.
Wendelina is offline   Reply With Quote