Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default How do you "treat" yourself?

A few weeks ago, boobalah (DH) was getting his Christmas present. I got him a massage, facial, pedicure and manicure. Yes, he likes those.

Anyway, I was with him and thought I'd shop during those several hours. We parked the car near the place and I walked the 2 blocks or so to the open air market and got a few things. After putting them in the car, I again walked the block or so in the other direction and got a few things from another store. Then came the 3rd store. After getting all this done, I realized that I'd been walking nonstop for over 2 hours. Some rapid and some not.

I decided I wanted a treat. I went back into Trader Joe's and got an apple. I sat outside and relished that apple. It was so sweet and juicy.

The other day I decided I deserved another treat. I've been doing some serious pondering about situations in my life and treating me best isn't being selfish when it comes to what I want to eat and do. So, while I was out getting some things for the house, I treated myself to a new pair of slippers. My old ones were $5 from KMart sometime in the mid 90s.

I think new slippers every 10-12 years isn't too self indulgent.

What do you do for yourself?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm far more self-indulgent. My most recent "treats" to myself have been:
  • small salad spinner - no more drying my lettuce with paper towels (like that works anyway!)
  • digital food scale - I use my food scale multiple times a day, every day. I finally decided I deserved one that was more accurate and easier to use than the cheapo analog scale I bought last year
  • Ipod Shuffle - it just came in the mail yesterday, I can't wait to workout with it tomorrow; this was my reward for exercising regularly for 1 year
  • little black dress from J. Crew - this was my reward for finally being able to fit in something J. Crew sells; I haven't shopped there since I was 23

My standard treats include clothes, books, pedicures, and massages. I try not to treat myself with food, even if it is healthy, because I really want to get out of the mindset that food is entertainment. But this is a really hard habit to break, so I still sometimes end up doing it.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #3  

Right - don't use food as a reward. I have a folder of things I would like, but don't really need. Each time I lose 10% of my weight, I can have a "treat". Seems like most of the things in my treat folder right now are jewelry.

mousetater
mousetater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetater View Post
Right - don't use food as a reward. I have a folder of things I would like, but don't really need. Each time I lose 10% of my weight, I can have a "treat". Seems like most of the things in my treat folder right now are jewelry.

mousetater
That's why I got slippers the second time. However, I was starting to feel a bit hungry when I had the apple. I knew I wanted something healthy. There was a smoothie place nearby but unless I know what goes in it, I can't be sure it isn't loaded with sugar and stuff. So, a plain ole apple was my choice and I just loved it.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #5  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

New clothes. Usually wal-mart or goodwill variety since I'm saving for my thin chick warddrobe, I just want something that will get me through to the other side of a smaller size.

Matt does my body. Not in a sexual manner, although those are nice too. He veet's my legs, armpits, I soak in the tub, he rubs warmed oil in me, then lotion. It's an inhouse massage

New flip-flops. I love flip-flops, I have no idea, but I do. Well, yeah I do, for so long my feet were the ONLY skinny part on me. And I have long toes that I always keep polished some shocking color, so I would show them off. So, new flip-flops, besides the Old Navy ones I bought so many of 2 years ago, they had end of summer sale for 49 cents a pair, I bought every pair in my size, the size smaller and the size bigger, so I have 14 pairs of black, blue and brown flip flops.

Mare, looking at the post, I didn't see the apple as the treat, so much as the chance to eat the snack you may have normally eaten, outside people watching. The people watching and relaxing after the walking was the treat I saw.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #6  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

My treats have been purchasing unexpected clothing finds, that in the past I would have skipped. Anyone with kiddos knows that the money you spend is usually on them. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending it on them. But in the past, when I didn't like me very much to begin with, I never spent money on myself, I just didn't "need" whatever the item was. I have started spending some on ME. Not a lot, but some! Yesterday I went to Sears to pick up two new hand weights in a heavier size than the ones I'm currently using. Sears has a LandsEnd department, and I do love that brand, so I thought I would check out the clearance and maybe find a new goodie or two....I found SIX! A button down cardigan that I had looked at before Christmas for $46 was now clearanced for $12.99...MINE! Over a couple racks there were some Liz Claiborne dressy cardigan/shell twinsets. The sleeveless shells were marked down to $3.99, and the jackets were marked down to $7.99. I bought every they one had in my size, and thought, I need these (maybe not every color, but hey!) and I want them. They're mine!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterswife View Post
I never spent money on myself, I just didn't "need" whatever the item was. I have started spending some on ME. Not a lot, but some!
Get out of my brain!

How did you know how I've been feeling?

I guess we all feel that way about ourselves at one time or another. Thank you for putting it into words.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I have food because I want it and allow for it. Regardless if it's an apple or a candy bar. I "treat" myself with new clothes. Once I got my tummy down, I fell in love with short tops. And I'm glad warm weather's coming back so I can wear them again. I also occasionally treat myself with a new bracelet or ring.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #9  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
I also occasionally treat myself with a new bracelet or ring.

Another treat! I like to buy bracelets, anklets, rings, necklaces, sparkly, glittery things that draw attention to more slender, defined areas. I'm not at goal, I still have a ways to go, BUT I do have areas, becoming more defined and feminine, faster than others, and I try and draw attention to those areas. I don't spend alot on them, I hit the local CATO's or FashionBug, for clearence jewlery, partially to not spend alot, I just like the sparkle, I don't care if it's real, but also because I hope in another 6 months, they'll be to big.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Prepping for the honeymoon, so recent rewards have been clothes and accessories, and other little honeymoon stuff...like a new memory card for my digital camera so I can take tons of pictures on they honeymoon. A bunch of new scarf headbands, which make my hair look cute even if I just throw it back in a ponytail, like I do most days. And it seems like I reward myself with new workout clothes every time I drop a size...for some reason, I am fine with wearing my shirts/pants a bit on the baggy size when I drop some inches, but not my workout wear. Luckily, I am really quite cheap, so I found all of these things on ebay (there is a person who sells basic women's tees - perfect for workouts! - in lots of 3 for 9.00 incl shipping!) and didn't spend too terribly much money on them.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/208/175

Videos and DVDs!!! That way, I can pop one into the player in my modest home gym, and hop on the treadmill or exercise bike and enjoy a movie while getting a great workout! I even talk to my Mom on the phone in the evenings while on the recumbent bike. It is really quiet, and I can work out and chat while dinner is in the oven. I usually do not multi-task too well, but this arrangement is great!
molly63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angihas2 View Post
but also because I hope in another 6 months, they'll be to big.
I wear emerald rings and my wedding ring. I had to have them all sized from nines to sevens. I waited awhile after I'd lost the weight before making that big leap to be sure. I just used the rubber ring sizers in the meantime.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #13  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I never use food as a reward- healthy or not. What I do like to do is find an activity that I have been wanting, or an outfit that I finally can wear. My next reward will be going to an opera and getting a swimsuit so I can head down to the YMCA. My previous one- I went to violin concert and ice skating.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote