Old 02-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #178 Bale of Turtles Moving Forward!

We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #2  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Everybody go back to thread #177 because Ariana posted a fabulous post there at the same time I opened the new thread, #178. Go read it! It's full of very exciting news.

Okay Ariana, I'm letting the news out.
for buying new clothes in a new smaller size. I would give anything to be a size 12 again. Weigh to go!
Judy
Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Default Happy Tuesday all!

First of all, huge congrats to Ariana! That is just cool beyond words!

Not much is new here really, I did go to the gym last night and worked out and it felt great. I only did a mile on the treadmill and then a mile on the eliptical and then strength training on my arms but that was enough to get me started after having done no cardio last week... I will be going again tonight so I feel very back on track and have high hopes for this weeks W/I unless that TOM arrives early then that will shift things around a bit but I feel back on track and in control and that is huge for me.

Ariana: The size thing and the loss is way too awesome... you deserve it and I bet you feel like a million bucks right now! Treat yourself well, you have earned it. I have tried the Meetup site and joined a book club thru them but I did not continue with that particuliar group as they read books that did not interest me very much... the book club that I belong to now is a mystery club and most of the folks are a bit older then me which would be fine but most of them live in a town north of here about an hour away and they make the drive to the meeting once a month. I will continue though as girlfriends are fun and they make life special. Thanks for the spelling correction... I played with spell check for a long time on that one and could not get it right so I let it go thru as is... actually, it was a fun evening and she was not a Psychic so to speak but read tarot cards... it was interesting and I would do it again I think. I did not stay very long at the party... I would have stayed longer but I quit smoking in May of 2006 and everyone that was at the party was smokers and the apartment was small and it was hard to get away from the smoke so I just kind of made my excuses and headed home... I was glad that I went and it reminded me that quiting smoking was the best move I have ever made Oh, by the way, I got the book that you recommended from the library, The Beekeepers Apprentice, and will be starting that as soon as I get done with the one that I am currently readying.

Judy: Thanks for moving us over to a new thread... how are you doing?

Chris: How are things with you?

Bandit: What is new with you? I saw the weather map and it looks like Canada is still pretty cold... we are warming up here and all the snow is melting which brings all new issues as it is flat here and the water tends to stand and flood easily.

Kerri: Are you back from vacation yet? If so you have to tell us all about it!

I have to run but will check back later on.

Susan
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #4  
Chick

Princess,
Good for you for leaving the party with smokers. That has to be another temptation that you don't need. Isn't it odd how once you give up smoking, the whole habit is pretty hard to take? Glad you're full swing back into exercise. I'm heading to the in a minute, but wanted to post.

Ariana, I hear you about those boxes of clothes. You are young and deserve to be in a lovely size. I am so thrilled for you and also admiring you because of your persistance in doing the right thing. Isn't it exciting to have people notice how you're doing?

I'm doing fine. Got through the birthday party with flying colors. Had a small
amount of food on my plate for dinner. Got hungry later at night and had a bowl of cereal to tide me over. Next day for my dd's birthday party, I had a great choice at John Harvard's--a cute restaurant with a brewery--very casual and fun. I had a burger minus roll and asked what could replace fries. Believe it or not, they offered fresh asparagus which were delicious. How odd, but it worked for me! At home I had a tiny slice of cake and called it a day. Again, I have knocked off the top weight I put on and now need to actually lose weight. This gets so old, but I am on track and doing the right thing. I'll go to WI tomorrow. Dh wanted to go to lunch today, but we're not because any restaurant food temporarily puts weight on for me. Sounds odd, but I am very salt sensitive and after awhile you get to know your body.
We can go to lunch tomorrow if he still wants to. In the meantime we're heading out to grocery shop and will buy the fruit and veggies that we need.

Best wishes to everyone. Chime in when you can. Again congrats to Ariana and Princess for tackling weight head on with and
Judy
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #5  

Default Happy Wednesday!

Morning all!

Well I went to the gym last night and did 2 miles on the treadmill with a mile of it on an incline and did not do any eliptical but I did do my ab's so that was something. I will go tonight and am going to do the 2 miles on the treadmill and at least a mile on the eliptical and that should have me back to where I was before the snow storms hit and I missed going to the gym for a week. It really takes me a while to get back on track once I miss a week... I only have Pilates two times this week since my Monday class is at a school and they were closed for Presidents day so I got an extra day at the gym instead and I am really hoping that will help kick start the weight loss again.

You know, when I weigh myself the day after I have been to the gym I show a huge gain... is that normal? Like 3-4 pounds according to my home scale... seems strange but it happens all the time...

How is everyone doing?

Judy: you are right, I could not wait to get out of there and could not stand how I smelled all the way home... I got out of that clothing right away. But I really enjoyed the event and I would go again if invited.

Ariana: How are you doing so far this week... your weight loss is really coming along... I really admire you!

Ok, for all of you readers I have a book series suggestion for you: They are written by Julia Spencer-Fleming and it is a mystery series. There are five books in the series and you should read them in order if you can... http://www.juliaspencerfleming.com/midwinter.html Here is a link to her website and on the left of the webpage it lists the books in order - it starts with "In the bleak midwinter". I have really enjoyed them so I thought I would pass it along to anyone that enjoys reading.

I have to run but will check back in later on.

Susan

Last edited by Princess1122; 02-21-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #6  
Chick

Princess,
I feel Ariana is our exercise expert (Mousie are you lurking and can you help here?), but I'll give an explanation that I've heard. I have read and heard at my WW's mtg. that heavy exercise after a period of little or no exercise inflames the muscles and causes them to temporarily hold fluid. Therefore you may very well see a weight gain. It is ironic that when you are doing the best thing for your body, your body plays this trick and causes the scale to go up. At this point it's really important to remember that the fluid gain is temporary, and will disappear. In the meantime, with proper eating, the fat will break down and go away and at the same time you will be improving muscular strength. I think 3-4# is a big gain, but since this happens every single time you resume a great exercise schedule, it seems to me that the above is what your body is doing. Good luck with this. Remember, it's not a real gain at all--it's a fake fluid gain that will release very soon.

All goes well here. I'm heading to my WW's mtg. Having gotten on the treadmill has encouraged me to do the best I can all around. This weekend we have house guests, a wedding to attend, and then another birthday party here on Sunday. We are a large and social family and I have to keep on ignoring party food, make the food at home WW's friendly, and keep on keepin' on. I'll check back once I WI.

Bale of Turtles--let's drink that water and move!
Judy
Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #7  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
I weighed in at 217#. The digital scale was all over the place, but that's where it settled. That still has me down 5# since August. I know that's nothing to brag about, but I am tackling the Christmas weight and getting over the fear of getting back on the . In the past I have lost a pound a week with proper eating and 3-4x a week. I hope to repeat that and join Ariana with her size 12's. Yay!
Judy
234.6/217/thinner into onederland
Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #8  

Ladies -- Good afternoon. How is everyone? Work is a little less stressful, though not any less busy than usual. I'm looking forward to the weekend already, even though I have to work Saturday. How is everyone?

Judy -- thank you so much for noticing that I posted in the wrong thread. I didn't see it until today. Thank you for the congrats; I am thrilled to be a size 12 again. That was one of my long-term goals -- goal, and/or being a size 12 again. I can't fit into all size 12's now, but I did fit into quite a few of them, and all of the 14's are too big. I figure that once I get down to goal, I'll be a comfortable 10, or 12. That would be fantastic. And remember, you *can* be a size 12 again. Just keep going; I certainly didn't get here overnight, but it was worth it, and I'm not finished yet. Mousie is our exercise expert, I'm a big fan but not a big expert. Regarding the weight gain, it's important not to let any gain, regardless of the cause, dissuade you. It's possible, I suppose, that working out can cause a temporary weight gain, but that's no reason to stop. It's important to remember that muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle burns more calories than fat, and looks and feels better on the body -- I life weights and I do spinning -- that's one of the reasons that no one can believe me when I tell them how much I weigh or what size I am. Although some forms of exercise may not cause the scale to budge, they do eliminate inches of fat and replace it with muscle, which is very important to your health and well-being. I guess the short answer (which I never give first! ;P) is this: keep working out and eating healthy, and the weight will come off as long as you burn more than you consume. If you eat healthy and work out, and you're still not losing the weight, keep trying for 2 or 3 weeks; if the weight still won't budge, trying re-evaluating your strategy -- you may need to ramp up or just change your exercise, or you may be eating too many zero point foods, or you may not be counting your points well enough, or you may not be getting enough protein, etc. Keep it up, Judy -- you can do it!

Princess: Glad to hear that you're back on track. Your workout sounds like a lot to me, so don't knock it! Re new size/weight loss: thanks! I am thrilled. I plan on getting myself something special once I reach the next 10-pound milestone (that's 60 pounds lost -- I have 6 pounds left), but I haven't decided what to get yet. Re psychic vs physic -- we understand what you meant, I just thought it was a funny reversal, like a freudian slip, but not sexual. Quitting smoking is so good for your health, cheers for you on getting out of there. Let me know how you like Beekeeper's. It's one of my favorites.
Re weight fluctuations -- many people have weight fluctuations throughout the day and the week. I would advise you to weigh yourself only once a week, and to do it at the same time of day, under the same conditions if at all possible (i.e. I almost always weigh myself on Wednesday night after Powerflex.) Your body weight could go up temporarily after working out, I don't know. I don't think it's something to be concerned about, though. Thanks for the book rec!

Judy: Thank you! I think everyone deserves to be in a lovely size, young or "less young". ;D Congrats on your self-control at the birthday party, and waiting to go out to eat.
Ariana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #9  
Kerri

S/C/G: 222/204/146

Height: 5"3"

Well hello to you all...I am back and still catching up on things..Wanted to say hi and will catch up on posts later...
I am up on weight (as expected) need to get to work and get down a little before weigh in at the end of the week...
I had a grand time but its always good to be home again...
I hope you all are doing well and staying warm..Its now a little cool in Fla....
kerriscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #10  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not even going to try to catch up on everything...arrgghhhh!

These last two weeks have been ****. I have never felt this miserable. I'm feeling better but still have the occasional breathless episodes that send me into a full-blown panic attack. I still feel weak, don't have much of an appetite, and I do get shaky still, but I think the majority of the yeast is out of my system now. Just can't get rid of those nagging feelings that there is still something wrong. I'm sure its just more anxiety but its hard to tell reality from my imagination on that.

I did have a dr. appt and they want to test me for sleep apnea. I guess that can cause anxiety attacks, depression, serious lack of energy, insomnia, daytime drowsiness, and weight gain. Hmmm..all of which I have. He set me up with double meds for depression. I'm taking Lexapro again (hate the side effects, but need the seratonin) and to take care of the rest of me I'm back on Wellbutrin XL. I'm also on antihistimines and Sudafed. I feel like a walking pill container.

I'm sorry for being gone so long. I just haven't felt good at all. Some days it felt like I was going to die. That bad....seriously. I've scared my family to death and myself also. I get nauseous even thinking about bread or bread like things. NO MORE FOR ME EVER!

Gonna go. My grades have gone way down from all this and I need to study for my Finite math test tomorrow. Talk to you soon...
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #11  

Default Happy Thursday all!

Well it is a cool but sunny day here... the snow is still melting and they are calling for huge rain storms to come in this weekend which is just not good news for us here in the flat lands... my yard is like a swimming pool now let alone if we add the 4 inches of rain they are calling for. When I put my dogs out to go potty they just stand on the back sidewalk and look at me as if to say "I am not walking in that yucky stuff!"... oh well, this too shall pass.

Well I did go to the gym last evening but was just not feelin it so I did a mile and a quarter on the treadmill and just headed home. My TOM came early, yesterday, so I am dealing with that and the cramps, etc. are getting worse as I get older... I take meds for them but they don't always help with the whole situation and yesterday was just one of those days... I tried to talk myself into staying and working out longer but just couldn't do it. I have Pilates tonight and that will be good. Not holding a ton of hope for an awesome W/I on Saturday but we will just wait and see.

I have been thinking that maybe I should switch to Core for a while and see if that helps to get me going again, any thoughts on that? I am not sure that it is for me... that whole "stop eating when you are satisfied" thing is rough for me... if I could do that then I most likely would not be over weight to begin with. But I hear there are ways to do Core and also count your points so that you are not over eating... any thoughts on that one too?

Chris: Glad you are back and best wishes for continued recovery.

Ariana: Thanks for the words of wisdom... you are always a positive force for me.

Kerri: Glad you are back and very glad you enjoyed yourself... you have to tell us all about it when you have a minute.

Judy: What is going on with you? You do Core don't you? Any suggestions for me?

That's all for now,
Susan
Old 02-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #12  
Chick

Chris,
don't worry about catching up. Take care of yourself and listen to your doctors. This too will pass.

Kerri,
glad you had a good time. The weight gain is temporary as long as you do the right things now. And I know you will!

Princess,
Yes, I do Core. The main reason most people quit Core is that they slow their weight loss by eating too much (even of the Core foods). When you want to shake up a weight loss, change is always good. My suggestion is that I love Core, but I too have to watch the amounts of food I am eating. I'm hoping that getting on the and being careful with my food will allow me to lose a pound a week. I've done it before and think I can do it again. As to you: Some of my friend do this: They use Core foods on their Flex plans. Having rice? Use brown instead of white. Having steak? Make sure it is a loin cut with no visible fat. Having cereal? Opt for oatmeal or shredded wheat. In other words, count points but choose your foods from the Core plan. Then, if you'd like, you can use some of the 35 weekly point allowance for foods off Core when you really need something else. I think it's worth a shot. It would certainly be a change and we know that that works well. Good luck. As far as exercise, your intentions were good and you'll be better in the swing tonight. It sounds like you're in pre-menopause and as I remember those periods were really tough. Princess, you're a winner and you're doing this. Don't be discouraged if the scale is a little whacky this weekend. Your body is undergoing changes.

Oh, by the way, at the WWmtg. yesterday a woman who has lost 60# so far and has a good amount to go was furious two weeks ago. She had eaten perfectly, and started a vigorous exercise program. And she gained two pounds on the scale. She was furious. Well, the WW lecturer addressed the problem like this: Yes, this is a common occurance. I cannot talk about it because how would you feel if you were about to embark on an exercise program and I told you it would make you temporarily gain weight? Would you start? Probably not. And yet the gain is temporary--retention of fluids around the muscles that have been damaged. Drinking water will help to release those fluids and you'll see your weight loss the next week. Okay--that makes complete sense to me and I can see her point about the emotional side of dieting. She's right.

I've gotta run. I'm doing great and will get on again today. I am trying to structure my day so that it suits all the things I like to do.
Take care, be well and keep up the exercise.

Judy
234.6/217/thinner into onederland

Last edited by Itryharder; 02-22-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: I typed lose but meant gain weight.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #13  
Focus on the Process

My Brain Is Working Again!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #14  

Default Happy Friday all!

As always I am thrilled that Friday is here... love Fridays!

I have no major plans for this weekend other then to get my errands and chores done as quickly as possible and then to have some fun time... I asked my husband to take me on a date this weekend and he just looked at me like I had been sent from another planet... I kind of feel like for the last few months I have been doing lots of chores and taking care of everyone and I would like some "fun" time... nothing big or expensive... just maybe a trip to Subway and then movie or even Subway and then Blockbuster... I am not picky and I am a pretty cheap date

W/I tomorrow, not going to be good but with TOM and all it is out of my hands so I will just plow on ahead.

I have to run but will come back in a bit to respond to everyone.
Susan
Old 02-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #15  
Focus on the Process

Susan, I hope you and your husband can have your date night. I think a person does need that. My husband and I used to never go anywhere without the kids and we grew so far apart. Now we try to go out as often as possible. Usually we go out for dinner and rent some horror movies and go home and watch them while the kids spend the night with my SIL. Or since he quit Sears and is doing his own business now, I go with him on his out-of-town calls. It's not much but at least we stay a little more connected.

Well not much planned today. If Kelly gets back home with my Tahoe, I'm going to pack up the kiddies and go to my sister's. She wants to start doing our pilates workout again...3 x week. I'm all for it. It's a Method dvd. They have an awesome video collection.

Well gonna go. Check back when I get done with some more homework.

Christina