Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #1  
NCRed

S/C/G: 157

Height: 5'5"

Default LAWL and Travelling for Newbie

Hi everyone,
I just joined LAWL and I am doing TakeOff now. I have a travelling job and am on the road at least three days a week, which means I eat out all the time. Does anyone have any secrets to staying on plan while they are on the road? Sometimes I drive, which is easier, but most times I fly. I am excited about finding this board. You all sound so encouraging and knowledgable I know it will make this journey easier. I won a trip to St. Kitts in July and I want very much not to be embarrassed to be seen in a bathing suit by the people I work with.
Thanks for your help,
Red
NCRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Red - Someone asked this a week or so ago. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104386

All I can say is plan, plan and plan more. Think of things like tuna cans and pouches that can be made portable. You can get lite mayo in the little packets at Costco. Look into purchasing the Magic Bullet blender if you don't have it. I actually keep mine in my car and take it between home and work. Once you get the hang of the program, you'll do fine, but definitely PLAN!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #3  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Carry your snacks, mini V-8's, and bars (Lites or Luna's) in your bag. Fortunately--I can't think of a restuarant in a town or at an airport that doesn't have some sort of grilled chicken salad/side salad. Carry your own dressing (the Wishbone Spritzers are great and very portable). You may get sick of grilled chicken salad but you can always plan something different for the times you are home. my 2 cents.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

Welcome, Red!! Good to see another North Carolinian on here. I just went on a short road trip this past weekend, and I packed a cooler with Diet Mt. Dew, bottled water, baby carrots, and various fruits. Luckily, my hotel room had a small fridge, so I was able to keep everything cold while I was there. I ate out while I was away and had things like 1/2 bagel and cream cheese from the hotel continental breakfast, grilled chicken salad from a fast food place, and chicken and broccoli (no rice or noodles) from a chinese place in the mall. The latter probably had a lot of sodium, but I drank extra water to counteract that. If I save my starches accordingly (or want to just eat 1/2 the bun), I even have the occassional grilled chicken sandwhich or hamburger (see restaurant guide). While the restaurant guide is small, once you learn what is allowed, you can find something at most restaurants that is on plan...even if it is just a grilled chicken salad. :-)
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #5  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

I second Wendy about using the restaurant guide as a starting point!

Red if you're traveling to hotels without a fridge never underestimate the power of a jar of peanut butter and dried fruit. Also, there are tons of vegetables that don't need refrigeration. Worse comes to worse stick with grilled chicken caesar salads with the dressing on the side--most restaurants have them!
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:43 PM   #6  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

Hey Red. Where at in NC are you? Just curious if you're near Wendy or I.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #7  
NCRed

Default Travelling for newbie

Thanks everyone for your tips. I know it is going to be hard but I am determined to stick with this. This was my first full day on plan and I must say I was POP. I weigh in tomorrow am and I am curious to see if I will see any results this soon. I did use the LA lites and so far they did not bother my sensitive stomach. I go on the road tomorrow so I am following your advice and packing as much as possible my own food. We leave for the beach on Friday for three days for our anniversary so I will really be challenged there. By the way, I live in Mooresville so Hello to all you North Carolinians out there.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

Shoot! Neither of us are near you. However, I wasn't too, too far from you this past weekend. Was in Concord for a wedding and did some shopping at Concord Mills the day after. LOVED it!!
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #9  
NCRed

Wendy,
I travel the entire state of NC in my job. Where are you located?
I love Concord Mills too. My favorite store, Kasper Outlet, is there.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #10  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

I'm in Fayetteville, if you're ever near here..stop in at the Starbucks off All American and Owen Dr.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote