Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default TOM issues

So, I haven't been following a specific eating plan over the last four week since starting this venture, but making lifestyle changes and eating more healthy foods. This is working for me as I've dropped seven pounds just from the food changes alone (and I haven't weighed myself in a week due to PMSing and my weight fluctuates terribly during that time of the month!).

Anyway, with that lovely TOM for women, I have really found myself struggling! I never crave salt, but rather sweet things and the week leading up to my period, it was awful! I kept myself relatively in check with LOTS of struggling and even with that, I ate more of the sugar free/fat free snacks that I try to limit to only once or twice a week.

I know there have to be more of you that struggle with this, so what do you do to not go off your plan during this time?
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Yup... the first month was the hardest for me. I've always had bad TOMs... since I was a kid...ripe age of 9 ...guess you could say I was an early bloomer...lucky me. I do have to say I have not found a way to entirely not stray yet during TOM whether it be a chocolate indulge or skipping workouts cause of bad cramps...but I can tell you that each month as my eating changes become more regular habit it does get easier. My only advice.... TOM is TOM and it doesn't last forever ... push on through and just don't let it push you off track!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #3  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

It's a hard time for me too. Mine starts about 2 days after I ovulate and it's not a craving so much as a need to eat everything! It seems like my caloric "need" goes through the roof and I can't get sated on ANYTHING. So, when I feel that, I drink water, 2-3 glasses, wait 30-45 minutes, and reasses. If I absolutely need to have something, I wrap a slice of turkey and cheese in lettuce or spinach. I really try to up the darker green leafy veggies and protien too. I know it's hard, but it IS doable.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/217.5/180

Height: 5'5

My appetite also shoots through the roof during PMS, and I crave salty things. I love eggs, and a hard-boiled egg is magic, it really takes the edge off the problem. I also drink litres and litres of water and tea, and try to distract myself from food cravings by reading or going on the internet!

Another thing that really helps me is exercise. I don't like to exercise, but I LOVE how easy it makes my PMS and TOM. I get no cramps or moodswings or anything. It's fantastic. It also makes my flow a lot lighter, though now we might be venturing into TMI territory!
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

OMG I hear you loud and clear. Not only do I get cravings, I get all weepy and that makes me want to eat more. I'm not always very successful at keeping myself at bay during this time... I'll usually try to eat something satisfyingly salty and not the healthiest.. in moderation. If I deprive myself of it completely I just go absolutely nuts.

I second Quiddity's notion about the exercise.. if I make sure to exercise a decent about before/during tom, it's usually not nearly as bad.

I've also heard fish oil supplements help, but I can't stand the way they smell.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:48 PM   #6  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I think Sunshine said it the best....TOM will always be TOM, but every month that you're on plan you'll notice the cravings getting easier to handle, and fewer and farther between. Hang in there! One other piece of advice which has been shared all across this board is this: If you are truly craving something, don't settle or snack you're way around it. If it's chocolate, have one REALLY good piece of chocolate and that will help more than eating five other things that really weren't what you were craving, and it will cost you fewer calories, too!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #7  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I swell something ugly- it is terrible. I nix all salty foods. Up my water intake and try to hit the gym to burn extra calories. ^-^.... water.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I don't get so many cravings during TOM. Instead I get an "I don't care any more" attitude.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #9  
Losin' it forever!

Thank you, ladies, for all the words of wisdom! I survived another month thankfully with little damage and I even finally went back to Curves today!

Now, once TOM is over, when is it safe to step on the scale again? I always worry about how long afterwards people generally retain water and bloat.
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote