Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #1  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Default (Associated Press) Drink's Calorie-Burning Claims Probed - Enviga

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone decided to look into this -- but as I noted before -- even if the claims does hold up .... it's pretty pricey (esp. considering you need to drink 3 cans to get the purported 100 calories lost, I'd rather exercise a little more or cut calories elsewhere!) and I'll probably prefer it over other diet soft drinks only if it actually tastes good.

Story pasted below:

Drink's Calorie-Burning Claims Probed
BY SUSAN HAIGH
Associated Press Writer

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal on Monday announced an investigation into claims by Coca-Cola and Nestle that their new drink can burn calories and not "voodoo nutrition."

Blumenthal's investigation focuses on Enviga, a green-tea drink that contains caffeine, calcium and a green tea extract known as epigallocatechin gallate, or EGCG. Coke says EGCG speeds up metabolism and increases energy use, especially when combined with caffeine.

An Enviga Web site claims that the drink's blend of green tea and caffeine burns more calories than it contains and can help drinkers maintain an ideal weight. According to a Nestle study, young people who drank three of the 12-ounce drinks a day burned an average of 106 calories.

Blumenthal demanded copies of all scientific studies, clinical trials, tests and papers that prove the calorie-burning claim by next week.

Unless there are credible scientific studies, claims "may be nothing more than voodoo nutrition," Blumenthal said. "Promise of wondrous weight loss must be supported by science, not magic."

Calls were placed to Coke and Nestle seeking comment.

Enviga's Web site says the drink is available in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, with a national release scheduled this year.

A nonprofit watchdog group, Center for Science in the Public Interest, have threatened to sue Coke and Nestle over their Enviga claims. Coke officials called the lawsuit threat a "meritless publicity stunt."

---

On the Web:

http://www.enviga.com

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

I only saw berry and green tea flavors (blech)....at the cost of $1.25 per can at Pathmark....3.75 per day X 7=$26.25 per week or $112.50 per month.....I'd rather drink regular green tea and pay myself that $$ to exercise a bit extra.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I just saw those - they contain aspartame, my enemy. Oh well! I'd rather not give Coca - Cola any more of my $$ anyway.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Well, I like them. Especially the berry flavor. I didn't realize that they were only available in three states. So why does the Connecticut AG care??
Old 02-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #5  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
I just saw those - they contain aspartame, my enemy. Oh well! I'd rather not give Coca - Cola any more of my $$ anyway.

Urg! I know! I tasted my girlfriend's drink and went: OooOO yummy. I drank it. Green tea, what harm can that do? I love green tea. Then I was looking and the cool empty can and tilted it to look at the ingredients and began kicking myself mentally for not looking sooner. Aspartame- the devil of sugar subs.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 AM   #6  
it's always something

A similar drink has also just hit the market. They claim to be the original calorie burning drink, lol. Given the legal issues Coke is having regarding their own advertising, I don't think I'd want to make any claims!

http://www.celsius.com/
Old 02-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #7  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
A similar drink has also just hit the market. They claim to be the original calorie burning drink, lol. Given the legal issues Coke is having regarding their own advertising, I don't think I'd want to make any claims!

http://www.celsius.com/
Thanks, Suzanne - I might try that one if I see it. I just looked it up and noticed it is sweetened with sucralose instead of aspartame. Although I try to minimize artificial additives, I will occasionally have sucralose-sweetened things; they don't seem to have the nasty effects that aspartame does.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #8  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I can't try them because of the caffeine.
Closed Thread