Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #1  

Height: 6'0"

Default A re-introduction from a man in the land of the chicks

Hello everyone.

I found this site about 9 months ago when I first decided I wanted to lose some weight. At that time I really didn’t have much of an idea of how I wanted to go about doing it. Since that time I’ve lost about 20 pounds, but I wasn’t really trying. Now, in my mind I have a pretty good idea how I want to go about losing the rest of the weight and so I’m back to try and connect with some new people in a similar boat.

My biggest issue is not a lack of willpower so much, but a lack of concentration. The last time I tried this I would forget I was trying to lose weight and ended up indulging too much, too frequently. So, in order to rectify that I’m hoping to make some friends here to offer support to and I’m also keeping track of things on a blog.

I realize there aren’t many men around here so I hope I’m not intruding. But honestly have you tried going to 3fatguys.com? Don’t bother. So, I’m turning to the fairer sex. It seems you have a great community here.

If anyone is looking for mutual support, I’d be more than happy to be an online buddy.

Other than that I’m just happy to be here and look forward to hopefully contributing.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #2  

Welcome back -- greetings to you from upstate NY.

You're still young -- think of this like being one of four men in a room full of women -- you can be the center of the universe!

I have a chunk of plump to lose, but I've got a decent start on it. I'm doing kind of my own plan -- saw a nutritionist who basically said stop eating the junk, so instead of paying her to say it every two weeks, I'm working at it on my own. Some good days, some bad but it's working. What are you trying?
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #3  

Hey Shelby,

I'm not really trying anything in particular. Nothing more than limiting my calories and increasing my exercise as I lose weight. It's not a very intriguing plan, but it's really the only thing that has a scientific basis for working (and I'm a big fan of science).

Thanks for replying and good luck!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back Charles, good to have you! Greetings from Boston. I've been doing exactly what you're doing been doing since November and I'm down 29lbs... its not glamorous and it was defiantly a tough start but it does work. I have days that aren't perfect but its the right direction to go in. Keep posting so we can all get to know you! You should come join us in the 100lb club.....everyone there is pretty fabulous

Last edited by NESunshine; 02-12-2007 at 05:24 PM.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #5  
Token Vulcan

Hey neighbor guy!

I'm basically doing the same thing you, NESunshine and shelby are, been doing it since the new year. So far, it's working. I think my mind, my body and my feelings are all in agreement with one another because it's involved changes that all three have been able to live with so far. It's basically been substitution, reduction, moderation and upping the exercise...the only cold turkey is the one in my sandwich.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 02-12-2007 at 09:28 PM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #6  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Not an intrusion! You are more than welcome! Good luck and talk to you around!
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #7  

NESunshine: Thanks for the support and congratulations on the weight loss you've already had. I'm impressed.

trekkiegirl: Hi neighbor girl! Are you ready for some snow finally? I am, I want to get out and go snowboarding.

I think you're on the right track as far as how to approach this weight loss thing. I, for one, am not going to go for any technique that hasn't been around for at least 50 years. So that essentially means reducing calories and exercising more.

Reddalice: thanks for the warm welcome. I feel a little bit like a guy walking into a woman's bathroom on this site. But I'm okay with that. I've never complained about being outnumbered by women before and I'm certainly not going to start now.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #8  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

I like your blog.
Quote:
This is a good, solid weight for…say, a sea lion, but I don’t think it’s so great for a 6′ tall guy.
That really made me laugh.

I can relate to your motivation section. I'm very motivated by the little girl I was baby-sitting who said "gosh, your hiney is huge". Nothing quite like that for the motivation to get one started losing weight.

Good luck in your quest.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi there - I've lost 70 pounds following the "eat less, exercise more" approach. Everyone asks me what plan I'm on, and they almost seem disappointed that I don't come up with something more exotic than counting calories and getting my exercise in regularly. But me, I'm thrilled because you know what - it works!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #10  
NurseBettie

S/C/G: 245/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Charles - Cool blog! I also liked the sea lion analogy. I always enjoy a little humor and snarkiness. Keep up the good work.

Good luck...Tricia
NurseBettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #11  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Charles!

Welcome! I read your blog, and it sounds like you have thought a lot about what works for you and what doesn't. That's GREAT! It took me many years to come up with a plan that worked for me!

My oldest son dropped 75 pounds in about eight months by taking up running and cutting out fast food. He's always been an athlete (field events, football, Tae Kwon Do) and has lifted since he was 15. His weight went on by neccesity as he prepared to compete at the national level in college for shot and disc. Having extra weight on you increases the distance that you can throw. Now, as a post-college track and field coach, he wanted to get trim so that he could explore other activities like hiking, rollerblading, running, and skydiving. His fiancee is a distance runner, so she worked out a running program for him.

One of his happiest moments was finishing his first marathon last fall in 3 hours and 46 minutes!

He's 6'4" and 200 lbs. He says that feels just right to him. It is over what the charts say, but he's very large-boned and quite muscular. He said that he likes the way his clothes fit and how he has energy that he lacked before. Running caused him to sacrifice his fast-twitch muscles in favor of developing his slow-twitch muscles (used more for endurance activities like running and hiking), but he says that since he no longer is competing nationally, it is a reasonable trade-off.

He's been very interested in my weight loss and has encouraged me along as I lose more and more weight. It really makes me feel proud when he tells me that he knows weight loss can be tough and that he's very happy that I am getting healthier.

Congratulations on developing a plan that you feel comfortable with, because that seems to be the key to this weight loss 'THANG"!!!

Come and post often! We chicks enjoy having some roosters around the farm!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #12  
Jerry Hall

S/C/G: 319/308/210

Height: 6'4"

Good Luck Charles,

I have actually been a member here since 2003, but just made my first post Tuesday. I started on Monday and am working with a team in a competition. Hopefully this will keep me motivated.

I'm an engineer so I am also a big science. The body should be looked at like an engine. You've got to burn more fuel than put in. It's as simple as that.

One suggestion I would make is to reduce if not eliminate the simple carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, potatoes and regular pasta. I'm not saying do South Beach or Atkins, but the simple carbohydrates break down quick and go right to fat. When a body builder wants to get rid of that last little bit of fat to be ripped for a competition. What does he cut out the last two weeks? Fat? no it's carbohydrates. Just a suggestion but it will increase the rate that you lose weight
jbhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #13  
jjgren

S/C/G: 252/247/170

Height: 5"6 1/2

Wink Hey...I'm a newbie 2....

We all gotta stick together in this thing called "weight loss"!!! Hope to have you as a pal, and supporter!! Way to go on the 20, by the way....
jjgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone! It's my big one week anniversary and I've really enjoyed getting to know some of the people on this site and I appreciate all the support.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #15  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Welcome Back!

There are other guys on the forum so you're not alone in that.

Congrats on your loss!! Post Often...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote