Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #1  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Default WATP & max fat loss

Hi everyone

I just started using WATP. I really like it though the 1 and 2 miles are too easy so I'm want to up the miles. My stats are under my avatar but FYI I have 33% body fat - unfortunately I'm a very tiny boned person. Dang, can't use "big boned" as an excuse like I used too, LOL . I do a weight lifting routine every other day: crunches, push ups, pull ups, various leg raises, two types of lunges, two types of squats and something I call butt & guts (kind of a combo of a crunch and butt isometric). I'm really happy with this weight routine but I normally reeeeeallllllllly hate cardio unless I can be outside riding my bike. My DH and I ride 20 - 40 miles a day in the summer but it's too flippin' cold and snowy here for that now.

So far I like WATP but my question is what is the minimum number of miles you think I should walk per day to lose the most body fat? I try work out 5-6 days a week (5 minimum.)

TIA, Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #2  

You were riding 20-40 miles a day-- that's how long? Hour-plus to around 3 hours? And now you're walking one or two miles? That's a big drop in activity level.

There's no minimum number of miles to walk to burn fat. Every mile you walk burns fat--the first does, and so does the tenth. It's around 100 calories per mile.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #3  
-

Oh, I know it's a big drop in activity level. I must also say that we ride really fast so it's 1.5 - 3 hours riding. We've both been bikers for 20+ years so that length and speed we're used to and only takes a few days to get back to in the spring. I've been between obese/overweight for years and still have biked like that. So obviously biking alone was not doing it for me! I really think it's all what your body gets used to and how many calories you take in.

I've completely changed my calorie intake (both type of food and portion control) to lose weight and it's taken a long time to get to this weight. Even with all the biking I was not losing until I changed my food. I was also doing no weight lifting. So because I've really changed what I'm doing for exercize I'm trying to figure out how many miles I should be shooting for to walk/day until I can get back on my bike. I'm thinking four at a minimum but just wanted to see what others are doing with WATP since it's brand new to me.

Beth
Old 02-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Beth, have you been to Collage Video or Leslie's website to check out the full listing of her videos? I'm a fan too and I know for sure there are some longer ones - like a 4 mile walk, with weights, or stretchy bands, that I used to do and that will definitely give you more of what you're looking for. So I would search collage.com and do her entire listing and see what you can get that works.

Have you looked into The Firm? It's cardio weight lifting and you might really like that. Some of your great health level could really benefit from the tough challenge the Firm gives.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #5  
-

Thanks hrbabe. I'll look into those options. How strenuous is the Firm cardio weight lifting workout? Is it something I could do on my off weight lifting days? I've know you're supposed to give your muscles 24 hours to recover from lifting so if I lift every other day the would that preclude me from doing this Firm DVD? Or is the Firm DVD "mild" enough that I wouldn't hurt my muscles since I'd have not rested them for 24 hours? Or would I have to split my lifting? Is it only ubwo lifting?

I actually hate cardio. If it wasn't for my husband I highly doubt I'd still be biking like we do Spring/Summer/Fall but it's a great thing to do together and I actually really like it once we get going. When winter comes or the weather is bad I looooooove not doing cardio. However I'm fully aware that I have to do it and just have to suck it up and do it! I wish I was like but I'm more like So I'm trying to find something I like that I can do in the Winter that I'll actually do! I loath aerobics like Kathy Smith or Billy Blanks. I've spent oooooodles of money on videos and DVD's that collect dust. I don't know what prompted me to try the WATP 5-day Fit Walk but so far I've not hated it, that's a good sign . It just seems to "easy" for me but what do I know?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go to the library and see what's available to try before spending more money on DVD's and not liking them. I have to find something because I know it's not healthy to spend 3-4 months out of the year being pretty much sedentary .

Thanks for the advice.
Beth
Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I just began exercising for the first time in 2003 and the 1 and 2 mile WATP became too little very quickly. I graduated to the 4 Mile Super Challenge. Even that is sometimes not enough. I have been known to go out for a 3 mile run and come back and do a 4 Mile WATP. It varies for everyone. Do what you feel is enough for you.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

You may want to try the 5 mile Walk DVD. It is a good deal faster paced, especially the 2 fast miles. She also has a new one that is called Walk Slim. I haven't personally used it but some of the ladies on the WATP thread have and love it. They tell me that it is even faster paced and is consistently fast paced instead of being intervals. It is brand spanking new though (2 - 3 weeks out), so probably wouldn't be at libraries quite yet.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #8  
-

Thanks you guys for the great advice. Maybe if I keep repeating *** I do like cardio, I do like cardio*** eventually I'll really like it

Beth
Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #9  

That's one option.

How do you feel about some kind of apparatus (treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical) instead of DVDs?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Beth, bc you said you hated winter cardio, that's what made me think of the Firm. I knew you liked lifting, and thought maybe you could trick yourself into the cardio if we gave you some hand weights and squats to do during it! I think it would be ok, esp if you only use like 3 lb weights. I'm sure you lift much heavier on your true wl days, so that probably would not hurt you at all. Worth a try. If checking them out at the library, make sure you get something from the new millenium. The 80s and 90s tapes are good too, but sometimes it's hard to get past all the lycra and spandex (and thongs!) Tamilee Webb anyone!?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #11  
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
That's one option.

How do you feel about some kind of apparatus (treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical) instead of DVDs?
While I'd love any of those options right now they are a no go. I'm a working artist. In order to do this for a living and actually "live" I had to make some financial decisions that keep me from doing a lot of what "normal" people do in life. So joining a gym is not an option and neither is buying equipment to have at home. Don't get me wrong I'm not whinning or complaining because I chose to do this. I just have to be realistic about what I can and cannot afford. I'd rather be able to work at somthing I love than have a lot of stuff. So i need to find something I can do in my very tiny living room in bad or cold weather. Thus the idea of some sort of DVD. I'll definitly check out the Firm. In fact I'm sending out an email to all my friends to see if someone I know already owns it and I can borrow it to see if I like it. If not then I'll just buy it and do it.

After all this I think I just have to stop being a baby and do what Nike says "Just Do It"!

Thanks again for all the advice everyone!
Beth