General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Dr. Phil now more about ratings than helping people?

It seems that Dr. Phil's shows are becoming more and more sensationalistic these days. It seem like he brings people on who are going to bring big ratings, and that the focus is more on that than helping people. I didn't notice that so much before, but I am watching it more these days, so maybe that is part of my new perception. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Oh yeah, he has totally turned into Jerry Springer lite. I only watch him if he is doing a weight show or a parenting show. Even those arent as good as they used to be.

I mean...he used to address problems that a LOT of people have so there was something to get from it all. But really, how many people are being "helped" by the flasher dude story?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

Well, that's especially true during this month because this is one of the "sweeps" month, meaning the time when advertising rates are set. So I'm sure at this time of year they do tend to lean more heavily towards getting ratings as opposed to helping people. I'm still a fan, regardless. I thought the flasher episode was pretty funny.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Ennay -- "Jerry Springer lite" I love that, it's exactly what I wanted to say... Yeah, he's getting pretty bad!! Soon he'll have bouncers on the stage to hold back the guests
Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

It's all about the ratings and the $$$$s.

Tiki
Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

And just what's wrong with Jerry Springer???
Old 02-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Dr. Phil is a douchebag...just ask Oprah.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I'm not really quite sure it is about ratings.

I mean, he most likely has more ratings now than he used to... since more people know about him, and with all of the books and stuff he has out, people are more likely to watch his show.

I think that the shows that would get higher ratings are advertised more, but, I watch his show alot and I don't think that he helps any less than he used to.

Also, There's only so many shows you can do on a certain topic before it starts to get obsurdley repetitive. Which is probably what's starting to happen. I mean.. have you ever watched Maury? Basically all of his shows are about cheaters and paternity tests/lie detector tests. His show has become extremely dull.

That's just my opinion.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

gets frustrated with both Dr. Phil and ophra...yes i know i will prob be the only one who is blasphamis (sp?) and say i don't like ophra...but what really bothers me about her...is if you watch her show...somehow she realate to every single thing that has ever been on the show...for pete's sake ophra...let the ppl you brought on the show speak for a few...sorry if i have offended anyone...but that's my thought. I know she's done a lot of great things for overwt issues...but i feel that she gets everyone on a band wagon that sometimes isnt always good. PPL need to really explore all the avenues of the story before taking "oprah's side" oh welll...sorry i'll get off my soap box now.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I don't believe it! Angie was off today, Lincoln's birthday. She had been out shopping for a wedding dress, I was paying bills in the den when she came home. I had the tv on up in the livingroom but was not watching. Now Angie isn't much of a "talk show" watcher...I on the other hand like Dr. Phill when I get a rare chance to see him. Anyway, she comes in grabs a snack and sits down in the livingroom, she isn't up there for 2 minutes when I hear "I can't believe it! Dr. Phil has turned into Jerry Springer!" I just told her to switch channels, I wasn't watching...that was it...until I saw this thread!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

As far as Oprah goes, I am sure she has done great things for people. I was never much of a fan of hers...she just seemed too goody goody for me (my take). I have enjoyed shows, but have not watched her for many years. She lost me when she had a show on about religion. She said "It doesn't matter what we believe, as long as we all believe in something, we all have the same God." So NOT TRUE!

Then with the fiasco of A MILLION LITTLE PIECES...boy did she poo-poo all over herself on that one!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
It's all about the ratings and the $$$$s.

Tiki
Why are you so negative TIKI? The SEC gotcha down!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

Another can't stand Oprah or Dr. Phil vote here. He's annoying and she's too egotistical. She helps people which is great, but does she have to think of herself as a goddess?

For pure entertainment I love the Greg Behrent show. He just amuses the heck out of me.... and after a few months now of Rosie on the View... I'm tired of her. Today was the last straw -she needs to shut up and let other people talk once in a while!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Rosie gets on my nerves too... She's just not a View type girl... Ellen would be better on the View... I love Ellen, she's so sweet I find...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/135/?

Height: 5'2

Very rarely do I watch daytime television.. but occasionally I catch a glimpse of Dr. Phil. The man just loves to hear him self talk! His poor guests rarely get a word in edgewise. What kind of crap is that?
Closed Thread