Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of February 12 - 18

Good morning! We're getting ready for a big snowstorm here in the East, though they're not quite sure how much yet. Fortunately I stocked up on groceries yesterday since today the store shelves will undoubtedly be swept clean. I need to do a few errands and get gas today, but nothing major. Sometimes these storms fizzle ... but can you believe how much snow they have in upstate NY?!

Lily, I'm so proud of you for getting on your treadmill in the midst of all the craziness you're living with! How much longer are you going to have to put up with all of them? Wow, you have my sympathies - I hate when my life and routines get disrupted. Good news about your sister's hand!

How's everyone else doing?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks Meg,

I do hate to have my routine messed up.
Good news is that half of my puppies have now been picked up by their owners that had pre-paid for them. One more person is on his way now to pick his up. So, I'll be down to 5 instead of 13. Yippee. 2 more are being picked up tomorrow.

As for getting on my treadmill, it did help to reduce some stress. I felt like at least I was able to shut myself off and get away from it all for a little while. Had my music blaring and it felt so good. My own son and DD have taken to hiding in their bedrooms right now too.

It is raining here now and we have forecasts for snow this evening.Meg, last week we had a small snowstorm with more snow forecasted. When I went to get groceries, the shelves were almost bare. Some of the delivery trucks had not been able to make it. I really had to make some substitutions and read labels carefully to get some food.

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-13-2007 at 02:48 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Lily - I don't get it, your SD is just staying with you so she doesn't have to be home alone? And it is very rude for her to criticize your cooking -- you're doing her a favor by cooking for her family so she ought to either be grateful or cook herself.

Anyway it sounds like you've got a full house . . . I don't envy you!

I'm hoping for a repeat of four gym days this week but I don't know if it will happen -- we have an appointment to take care of wedding stuff Wednesday afternoon and tomorrow looks like it's going to be a big snowstorm. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday I will do a workout with FitTV at home.

This Wednesday I'm going back to the wrist doctor. They should be taking the splint off my right arm, injecting cortisone into my left wrist, and splinting my left arm. I'm not looking forward to another six weeks of splinting, especially considering I am left handed so I will be pretty impaired. OTOH my right wrist doesn't hurt right now and my left does, so it must be doing some good.

I've also found that my wrists hurt more in the cold, so I bought a pair of heated gloves to wear at work. They are pretty neat -- you plug them into the USB port on your computer, and they are fingerless but have a mitten-like flap with an extra heating pad in it you can pull over your fingertips. Anyway I'm just hoping this round of treatment will work and I won't have to go back for more surgeries. I almost wish they had just done decompression of all my wrist compartments the first time through, since surgery is the only permanent solution (at least it's usually permanent). Or I could just quit my job, that would probably do the trick too. After going to school for six years to be able to do this kind of job it would seem like a waste to quit after six months though, aside from the fact that if I quit I would have no money or health insurance.

I guess I'm just frustrated because I gave up all of my hobbies and started treatments of my wrists almost a year and a half ago. They are much better now than they were then but it's still frustrating. Sorry for the rant!

I have a friend coming into town next weekend, so I'll need to watch my calories extra closely this week. We made a big pot of beef stew Saturday night and a big pasta/chicken/veggie/cheese casserole Sunday, so I shouldn't have to cook for a while. Beef stew sure is good when it's this cold and snowy out! I just have to be careful of the hot cocoa cravings!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon everyone.

Lily-Grrr on your SD. The things we sometimes have to put up with for peace in the family.

Paperclippy-I hope the next treatment 'fixes' your wrist. What a pain, literally and figuratively.

I'm still struggling with morning (all day) sickness. I have lost about 10 pounds but if I ever keep something down I'm sure it will come back with friends. I'm mostly in survival mode and am just eating whatever. I long to get back to something looking like a healthy diet. We're supposed to get the snow too so I'll send one of the kids to the corner to get TP and milk. Beyond that we're good. Have a great week all.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Meg~I hope the snow doesn't stack up for you like it did in NY. That was an incredible amount of snow!
Lily~hang in there! Your SD will not be there forever. Although I do think she is wrong to criticize you when she is the guest!
Paperclippy~your heated gloves sound great! I need a pair. I hope your wrist mends properly.
Joyofsix~I don't envy you. Morning sickness all day has got to be the worst. I don't remember the ages of your other kids, but being sick AND being a mom is a tough job. Hang in there!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Joy of Six: Oooh...I can only imagine how difficult morning sickness must be. I hadn't thrown up since I was a child, and then about 2 years ago, I got a GI bug that reintroduced me to the idea of nausea and vomiting. I can't even imagine having that for months! Especially at work! That's probably the thing that scares me most about pregnancy. I hope you feel better soon.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #7  

I've been doing orientation stuff for my new job recently. They conveniently didn't mention that I would have to work an evening each week before I took the job. Working an evening does mean that I would come in later that day, but I think I would really dislike having extra free time in the morning. I wake up early anyway, and I find it difficult to accomplish anything in the morning when I know that I have to go to work in a few hours. Grr....the things they wait to tell you....

Plus, I'd hate to miss my evening aerobics classes!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Taking a sick day today. Just feeling tired and frazzled. And so so nauseous.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Joy and Anne. Sorry you're both feeling puny this morning.

Tara - I had a job where I had a morning off and worked the evening. I found it very useful for making doctor/dentist appts and for shopping places (like the grocery store) that were crowded in the evening. And have you checked - maybe your gym has a morning aerobics class? Mine does. If you make a plan, it won't be "wasted" time off.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #10  

Hi all,

Lilly - How horrible on having all those people. What I do not get..what do you mean SD would be alone with DH gone ? She will have the kids no? So I would not consider that to be alone?? Anyway, the saying around here is that a guest is like fresh fish...keeps for 3 days max.

Anne, Joyofsix - I hope the sickness is getting better.

Hi to all the other maintainers,

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #11  
Mel

Pat, that was exactly what I was about to post to Tara. Take a look at the gym's morning schedule- often there are more classes and they aren't so mobbed.

Anne and Joy I remember those days, but somehow I didn't lose any weight through it.

We are in "aiting for the snow" mode here to. Some of us (ds) are happier about it than others.

Paperclippy- Those glove sound like a great idea! I wish I could get a whole body suit to plug in and keep me warm! Hope your wrists feel better soon.

OK, Back to the gym for me.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #12  

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually been going to AM classes now while I've been off of work, but I just don't know how I feel about working out and then going to work. I guess I'll have to see how things work out!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #13  

Anne and joyofsix, so sorry about the MS. Hope it's over soon for both of you.

Had a tough week last week. PMS + a house full of in-laws (including a baby and two dogs) and both boys got in trouble at school. Everything's back to normal and, now that I'm no longer looking at all of it through PMS goggles, it really wasn't a big deal. Sure wasn't great for my eating and exercise, though. Compensating this week by a re-commital to my healthy ways AND I'm also tackling a huge de-cluttering project. It feels like I'm nesting... and no, I'm not pregnant!! I think I'm just feeling a strong urge to regain control of my life.

Funny how PMS can make the tiniest bump in life feel like it's the end of the world. I call them my black cloud days, except this time it hung over my head for a whole week. But, the cloud has lifted and I'm looking forward to about a month of sunny skies!

Happy Monday, everyone!
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Joy and Anne, I'm sorry you two are having the nausea problem. I do remember how bad that is. Hopefully it will end soon.

Anne, if you see this, will you please delete that quote on the next page . I feel like what I'm typing is being read, so I deleted all my posts. I will explain more later.

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-13-2007 at 03:07 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh my! Lily, that girl needs some ! I realize that you need to cut family some slcak, but it sounds like it's waaaay past time for her to go home and take care of herself! Hope your DH comes through supporting you instead of her! to you!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote