Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/145

Height: 5'5''

Question Kevin Trudeau, colonics, coconut oil etc...

My dh ordered 2 of Kevin trudeaus books ----- basically he is saying whole foods, nothing prepackaged. He also supports colonics and other various detoxes, as well as taking coconut oil twice a day....all as weight loss tools.

Does any of this work? When reading his books, he does make sense, but when I did a web search, it seems that he may be another infomercial charlatan.

But seriously, is colon cleanse something that should be done, or is it just another way to abuse laxatives for immediate weight loss?

thanks!!
Nancy
Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #2  
it's always something

Infomercial charlatan is an understatement. Much of his advice is downright dangerous! Whole foods are best for us, but that's nothing new, and you are better off getting your information elsewhere, where it's combined with sound advice.

Colon cleansing is NOT recommended by any reputable physician, unless you are preparing for surgery or other medical treatment where it is required. In fact, colon "cleansing" can be very dangerous and lead to more problems than you want. It doesn't cure anything, and it doesn't even really 'detox' the system. It's a very common scam.

Go to the top of this forum (the Does it Work forum) and click "search this forum" and enter 'colon' or 'detox' as your search term, You'll find a lot of discussions about colon cleansing that hopefully will be of help. You'll also find some topics on Trudeau that may be interesting, as well He's a quack.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #3  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't know who he is or ever saw the infomercials, but just like any "huckster" there's probably just enough truth in it to make it "ring" true. A quick Google, brought up all kinds of legal actions against him as well as jail time.

Does it work? I personally know the whole foods concept works for me, but I don't need to pay anyone to find that out. Just for me, i've found that over all, my health is better. I used to get sick at least a few times a year, since changing my lifestyle last June, I haven't been sick once. Even when everyone else at work is getting sick and notice I don't!

The rest, no clue, but I would bet no.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Gee, i hope you can get your $$ back from those books....Kevin Treadeu has been around for years.....(previously selling the wrinkle miracle potato starch face cream)...

He's an angry little man,(because he has to pay all those fines?) ranting and raving about the *evil* pharmaceutical companies, saying that disease can be cured "naturally", including CANCER...(lets see the jackass try to cure pancreatic or esophogeal).....the sad part is that some gullible people may accept his information and don't seek real medical intervention.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #5  

Thanks guys, I suppose I already knew this, but boy the temptation of the 'quick fix' is irresistible.

Back to the eating healthy and excercising grind for me lol !!!

Nancy
Old 02-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #6  

Whoa, WHOA! I am probably about to get seriously bashed here but I feel you are getting some serious mis-information! While I do not endorse or not endorse Kevin Trudeau (I've read some of his stuff and some I agree with and some I don't) I do endorse a couple of the things you mentioned above. First, I use coconut oil...every day. It's my only cooking oil. If you take the time to really read about coconut oil you will learn it has very healthy benefits. The FDA will tell you it's not but I honestly believe otherwise. I feel way better since using it and have dropped weight easier. Hmmm, wonder why all the people in the Philippines aren't dropping dead...they use coconut oil every day and have for centuries. I also had my first colonic yesterday. I feel AWESOME today. The fog in my head has lifted significantly and I plan to go back several more times to experience it's full benefits. Now think about this seriously...how is using pure, filtered water in a sterile environment to make me poop dangerous? I have severe constipation. I "go" maybe once every 4 days. THAT is not healthy...period. I was shocked, amazed, and frankly pleased to see how much "stuff" came out of my body yesterday. It maybe wasn't the most fun experience to go through but boy did it feel great on the other side! And believe me, I did everything my mainstream doctor told me to do (besides meds which I won't do) to get me to go...a zillion grams of fiber a day, 6 zillion glasses of water, exercise, 4-5 hours between meals, etc. None of it worked. I went to get the colonic and not only did a weeks worth of stuff come out, but I learned more about eating healthy in that hour and a half then I ever have from my doctor.

Frankly, I've never EVER met a person who gets regular colonics who is anything but healthy (though I'm sure someone will go find a story of someone now). Now, I have met (and we see it everyday on tv, etc.) plenty of people who follow the poor government and mainstream doctor guidelines of no detox, no cleanses, everything in moderation (even processed foods), no saturated fat, canola oil, vegetable oil, etc., etc. and these are the people who are sick. Look around you. The mainstream way of doing things DOES NOT WORK! If I were you I would continue to search outside the box for things to do to give you a healthier lifestyle. I think you (or your husband) are on the right track!

As for processed foods...that's simply common sense. If someone tells you otherwise they are probably selling processed foods!

Everyone it entitled to their own opinion, but I 100% disagree with what the other posters have said so far and I thought you should know there are two sides to this argument.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #7  

Thanks for the opinion from the other side, avsfan2!

Now, not to get too personal.......BUT (LOL) didn't you find getting the colonic embarrassing? I mean, did you go somewhere to get it, or was it something you can do in the comfort of your own home blessedly alone

Some of the things mentioned made sense from those books. and in real life I know 2 women with Krons disease; one went the traditional route and ended up with her colon removed. The other went for alternative medicine which meant severely restricting her diet (no meat, only certain types of legumes etc..) and not only is she 'cured' of the krons, but she looks fabulous!

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #8  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I don't think using the philippines is a good argument for coconut oil -- statistically people living there die @ a younger age than they do in the U.S. (median age in Philippines is early 20s, whereas in the U.S. it is mid 30s; US also has triple the % of people 65 or older than the Philippines) ~ now, I know this is more likely attributable to better access to healthcare in the U.S., but these stats definitely don't help your case in regards to use of tropical oils (which tend to be HIGHEST in saturated fats.)

The colonics' effectiveness is, at best, murky ( CNN/WebMD article here: http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...wmd/index.html ), but personally I think the benefits are derived from confounding variables (much like how people taking multivitamins are generally healthier because they are more aware of their personal health & doing other things to improve their lifestyle, not necessarily from the multivitamin themselves.) It worked for you - great! But that doesn't mean it'll work for everyone (like how "mainstream" method isn't working for you.)

So I'm putting my two-cents in too, the mainstream more exercise, calorie-watching method worked for me so far - so I see no need shlep out more money for treatments that are, so far, quite controversial.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtome View Post
Thanks for the opinion from the other side, avsfan2!

Now, not to get too personal.......BUT (LOL) didn't you find getting the colonic embarrassing? I mean, did you go somewhere to get it, or was it something you can do in the comfort of your own home blessedly alone

Some of the things mentioned made sense from those books. and in real life I know 2 women with Krons disease; one went the traditional route and ended up with her colon removed. The other went for alternative medicine which meant severely restricting her diet (no meat, only certain types of legumes etc..) and not only is she 'cured' of the krons, but she looks fabulous!

Thanks again!
Since I have started a more 'alternative' lifestyle in terms of the way I eat and take care of my body I have heard so many stories like that of your friend who went the alternative route and is not only cured but probably looks and feels better then she has ever! I certainly think there is a place for traditional medicine in our society but it's not the be-all end-all that people think it is. Often times you come out on the other side with serious lifetime challenges...you cure one thing only to have another wrong, or in your friends case, a part of your body missing!

As to the colonic being embarassing? Not really. I just had to think of it like I do my Gynogologist. This is what they do and it is more of a "medical" thing then some person sitting on a contraption pooping! I figured if I could spread my legs for some random person to look up "there" then I could probably poop in the presence of someone too!

Seriously, though, the woman stayed in there with me until I had my first "release" and then left me alone until the end of the procedure. It was very different and slightly uncomfortable at first but I managed and it felt good when it was over! You can certainly do home enemas as a start but this was like the King Kong of enemas! I guess it's just something you need to try to get past mentally. It truly is a detoxing procedure. It may be uncomfortable for a bit (while gas is working it's way down) and you may even feel a little sick to your stomach but it's so worth it in the end (literally!). At least it was to me since I can't seem to poop to save my life!

I must say, though, that in my research, all hydrotherapy (colonics) is not the same. I found a place that had the Mercedes of hydrotherapy machines. The machine is called Angel of Water and it's comfortable and allows for privacy. I would just call around and ask questions.

So, yes, you can do a lesser form of this at home with a home enema kit if that's where you want to start but just remember that colon health is what these people do so try not to be too embarassed by it.

If you have more questions please feel free to PM me. I'm happy to answer what I can!

Good luck with whatever decisions you make!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #10  

Just curious,(not judgemental) did you tell your Internist you were getting *cleansed* on a regular basis? and get his/hers opinion on the contraindications to this *therapy*? Aren't you also flushing out the natural bacteria that protects your colon?

going every 4 days is NOT a comfortable way to live, (diverticulitis-yikes)!

But WHY would you decline meds to treat your problem?
thanks for the info....hope you continue to feel well.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaWarlock View Post
I don't think using the philippines is a good argument for coconut oil -- statistically people living there die @ a younger age than they do in the U.S. (median age in Philippines is early 20s, whereas in the U.S. it is mid 30s; US also has triple the % of people 65 or older than the Philippines) ~ now, I know this is more likely attributable to better access to healthcare in the U.S., but these stats definitely don't help your case in regards to use of tropical oils (which tend to be HIGHEST in saturated fats.)

The colonics' effectiveness is, at best, murky ( CNN/WebMD article here: http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...wmd/index.html ), but personally I think the benefits are derived from confounding variables (much like how people taking multivitamins are generally healthier because they are more aware of their personal health & doing other things to improve their lifestyle, not necessarily from the multivitamin themselves.) It worked for you - great! But that doesn't mean it'll work for everyone (like how "mainstream" method isn't working for you.)

So I'm putting my two-cents in too, the mainstream more exercise, calorie-watching method worked for me so far - so I see no need shlep out more money for treatments that are, so far, quite controversial.
I probably should have clarified that what they are not dropping dead of is heart disease while a large percentage of America is...well, at least they USED to not drop dead of heart disease...I'm sure that has gone up in the last 20 years or so because this is what happens to every place that begins to adopt our "superior" Western ways. My point was, coconut oil has been a constant in that culture for centuries but heart disease was not and that's what all the doctors tell us saturated fat does...cause heart disease.

As for the article, I see several flaws, in my opinion, to the logic and things stated in there. I could seriously go on and on and on about this but I don't really want this to get into a long-threaded argument where I get blasted by everyone. I know my views are more alternative and the majority of the people on these boards are not. I need to respect that just as they should respect me. Let's just say I simply disagree. I just wanted to offer the opposing view here since a fellow member asked and since I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that what was posted here was inaccurate. Of course, it will be up to backtome to take charge of her own health and do what she feels is best for her after she researches the topics in question. I can suggest a boatload of books to anyone interested in reading more about this stuff from people who have done the research (and not Kevin Trudeau!)...it's actually very eye-opening.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys View Post
Just curious,(not judgemental) did you tell your Internist you were getting *cleansed* on a regular basis? and get his/hers opinion on the contraindications to this *therapy*? Aren't you also flushing out the natural bacteria that protects your colon?

going every 4 days is NOT a comfortable way to live, (diverticulitis-yikes)!

But WHY would you decline meds to treat your problem?
thanks for the info....hope you continue to feel well.
I haven't gone to an internest, just my regular doctor who had given me a bunch of suggestions and her last resort was not to refer me to an internest, but to give me drugs. I've read up on the contraindications to colonics and so far from what I've read and from what the "colonic lady" asked I don't have any reasons why I shouldn't do this (not in first or last trimester of pregnancy, no bleeding hemeroids, etc.). As for my regular doctor, haven't even told her. I'm a military wife and if there's one thing I've learned so far about military doctors it's that they are so far on the opposite spectrum of alternative that I don't even go there with them!

The reason I choose not to take drugs is because I feel like there is a reason why I'm not going and drugs will not solve the underlying reason...only mask it. True, drugs would make me go and true drugs are much needed in certain circumstances but overall, it's my belief that most drugs are toxic (not only to our bodies but to our environments) so the less I can take the better. It always amazes me that people can question me or think I'm a quack for essentially using PURE WATER to "cure" my problem but they see nothing wrong with synthetic chemicals doing the job. Not saying that *you* are being that way to me...just people in general. I'm treated like I have a third eye and I think it's unfair. I honestly believe that my diet, surroundings, stress, something is the cause of this and I'd rather fix it at the root cause and not just with a pill. This is something I've only just begun doing and it's amazing how much better I already feel yet how much worse others make me feel for doing it a different way. If I don't do something I will end up with colon cancer or some other cancer, that I'm sure of.

As for the bacteria...yes, there is some truth to that. The colonic does not take the bad bacteria out and leave the good. For that reason, after a session I take probiotics (something I plan to start doing more regularly now) in the form of kefir or cultured vegetables. These have the friendly bacteria in them and repopulate what was lost with the cleanse.

I have done my research and even though there are those against it I feel that so far it has really helped me. I had a cleanse yesterday, had probiotics, already went again today! For me, that's great! I believe it took me a lifetime to get this way...poor digestion, no poopin', overweight, etc. so I know it will take a long time to get healthy. It's going to be a long journey for me just as it will be for everyone striving for the same thing. It's just my belief that *I* kinda did this to myself with poor habits. I'm now trying to change that. We live in a very toxic world in this day and age. It's really sickening to me. I want to do what I can to keep the toxins out and the good stuff in and, for me, this is what I have found that is helping me on the road to that goal.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #13  

OK, I do understand your point.....sorry you don't have a doctor that has a broader view, yes they do exist, not just Dr. Weil...and are much better informed that the colonic lady. Personally I've never had the type of back-up you describe, but it must be painful and of course it's not healthy to not have waste move on out---(geeze the things we talk about here)?

BTW, isn't your *regular* doctor an Internist? Usually your primary doctor is an Internist or Family Medicine. And you really SHOULD tell her, because it needs to go into your patient chart so they have an accurate picture for your H&P notes.

I don't think that getting information and a different view is a reason to bash anyone, it's interesting to discuss and see why others think differently.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys View Post
BTW, isn't your *regular* doctor an Internist? Usually your primary doctor is an Internist or Family Medicine. And you really SHOULD tell her, because it needs to go into your patient chart so they have an accurate picture for your H&P notes.
Gosh, I don't know? What's the difference? My doctor does family medicine but I don't really know how that differs from "internist". I guess I assumed internist would specialize more in my type of problem. I don't think that's the case with my doc. She listed all these things to do and then said, "And if those don't work then I have a pill I can prescribe that will do the trick. It works on everyone!" She was helpful in trying to offer suggestions but, for me, I don't think the next best step is a pill and I don't feel she had broad enough knowledge about my particular problem to offer more in depth suggestions. You are right, though, I should probably tell her what I'm doing. I go for my annual check up this week, actually, so I'll tell her then.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Kevin Trudeau is a snake oil salesman and has done prison time.Save your money., he is good looking and a smooth talker but a crook nevertheless.
Closed Thread