Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Alli - The New Fat-Blocking Pill

OK, I need opinions from you ladies (and gentlemen as well, if there are any here! ) about this new fat-blocking pill that's soon to hit the shelves ---

No, I'm not thinking of buying it, I wouldn't dream of wasting my money on this stuff. I eat very little fat anyway, I don't need to block the tiny little bit I'm getting.

But I wanted to ask if anyone else shared the same opinion as me about these pills and that's the opinion (and again, this is just my opinion) that it's stuff like this that's making people fatter. The man on the newscast I watched about this drug shares the same opinion as me saying these pills send people the wrong message. People think they can eat more crap and then take a pill and all will be right as rain.

Ooo! Ooo! Let me at that sausage and pepperoni pizza! I've got fat-blocking pills!

Because, let's face it, no matter how strongly the makers of these products try and stress that the pills MUST be taken with a lowfat diet, people don't always hear that.

And they're marketing this stuff to try and combat obesity? Fat doesn't make us fat; excess calories make us fat. You can eat nothing but fried chicken every day for a week, but as long as you take in fewer calories than you're burning, you're probably not going to gain any weight. Maybe if they would market the pill as an "artery saver" rather than a "weight loss" aid it wouldn't send quite the wrong message. But they're directing it toward the overweight population. Because it IS being marketed as a "diet" drug.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone else believe this kind of stuff is hurting more than it's helping?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Isn't this just Xenical lite?

What if people think that they can take 2 or 3 pills and have the same Rx as Xenical?

We'll have to wait and see how long it stays on the market.

I watched the news last night about this. They say this, along with diet and exercise...........

They ALL state that. Diet & exercise!

If it didn't take diet and exercise, wouldn't we all be beating a path to the store?

I want a wonder drug, too. It's not going to happen that way. At least not for me.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Isn't this just Xenical lite?
Yes

Quote:
They ALL state that. Diet & exercise!
Exactly! But, again, the public doesn't always 'hear' that. I can remember years ago popping diet pill after diet pill, expecting it to be my next miracle. Did I combine them with proper diet and exercise? Of course not, lol.

Quote:
I want a wonder drug, too. It's not going to happen that way. At least not for me.
Nope, it's not. It doesn't happen for most people that way. I mean, heck, if there WERE some miracle drug out there that did all the work for us, no one would be overweight.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I said on a different thread that I didn't think it would work for a lot of us here at 3FC because we already understand that we need to reduce fat the natural way and those of us who do that probably need what little fat (good fat) that we are taking in.

I agree that this pill could be seen as a "magic pill" for some people. Like you said, someone might think they can eat whatever and take a pill and the fat will disappear. I also think that if they do that once, the side effects will probably make them not want to do it again!!! (One user said that he constantly has to fight to not run to the bathroom--it is very hard to control your bowels when you use this.)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #5  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I agree with y'all, but you know -- those folks will be doing themselves in if they think of using alli that way (a free ticket to get away with all the high-fat foods they want), since pairing it with a fatty diet meals diarrhea, oily stools and... leakages. (not to mention colon polyps and increased chance of cancers)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #6  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Ewww....how is that a good thing to subject your body to? Grossgrossgross!

I think that...well, people have been hunting for the "magic bullet" for years, and aren't likely to stop soon. It's the lazy consumer mentality - I am willing to spend money, therefore, I shouldn't have to do ANY work! - that's doing it. And this kind of pill caters to that attitude.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I think people are just going to end up abusing it. They're going to think that they can eat whatever they want because they have the pills, and then they're going to be dissapointed when they don't lose weight.

It's a tough lesson to learn, but, once people realize they can't lose weight on a supposed "magic" pill... then maybe it'll click that they should start eating better and exercising to lose weight.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 181/178/130

That pill is gross. I tried it years ago and the side effects aren't worth it. I'd get diarrhea from eating a salad-veggies only-with fat free dressing.

People won't abuse it once they start having stool incontinence.
Katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaWarlock View Post
(not to mention colon polyps and increased chance of cancers)
OK. I need an explanation here. I've had those things numerous times. That's why I have that oh so lovely prep and procedure as recommended by my dr.

I was under the impression it was from diet that includes things like seeds, corn, etc.

How can this pill lead to that? I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't know how that pill can lead to polyps.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
I think people are just going to end up abusing it. They're going to think that they can eat whatever they want because they have the pills, and then they're going to be dissapointed when they don't lose weight.
I agree. Which is why I think this stuff just makes everybody fatter.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #11  

The side effects sound disgusting. Everyone wants the easy way out, though. I'd never do it.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #12  

I took xenical, and you DON'T DARE EAT HIGH FAT! You do it once and you'll never do it again!
the smell is nasty. Even when I didn't have high fat intake with that pill, I was still running to the restroom - on this stuff, when you gotta go - you get to a bathroom ASAP.

I really don't like that people are sticking their nose in the air at this pill. That it is going over the counter is revolutionary for the obese!
Considering that society has a general attitude that obesity is caused by laziness, stupidity, lack of will power, etc etc; I find it amazing that this product is going to be available at all.
Certainly, if you eat a low cal, low fat diet and exercise (just as you need to when taking this pill), you will lose weight. But sometimes the cost, or even the perception that the pill helps, tends to keep people motivated and on track.
I think that the people who will end up abusing a product like this will be those who don't need to lose weight... who are looking for a quick fix to get rid of those 10 vanity pounds - not the people who are obese.
I lost weight on xenical. I gained it back because I didn't change my lifestyle. And I think that is a very common occurrence.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote