Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #1  
Getting my life back...

S/C/G: 231/182/197/145ish

Height: 5'2"

Default Stay at home mom - I can't lose it!

Hello all. I am a long time lurker but I am in need of some help. I am a stay at home mom of two beautiful children - 2 and 3 months . You'd think losing weight would be a cinch, but it's so not. I only gained 17 lbs with the second child and have lost that already, but I was overweight to begin with. I never really tried to lose weight while I was working, but being at home is very hard to do. Sure, (most days) I have plenty of time to exercise and make really great meals, but I don't have the motivation at all. I love my babies, but it's so hard to get on any type of schedule. Are there any stay at home mom's out there who have problems with motivation, and if so, do you have any suggestions. I know getting out of the house would help some, but I (sadly) enjoy staying home most of the time. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!
joannagoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I love getting out more than staying home. Probably because I'm used to working and staying home can get to me. So I get out quite often. During the better climates, I take my son (now 16 mo.) to the park. I take a bag of peanuts and we feed the squirrels. I got a jogging stroller and get in a couple miles of running, then I tackle the hills for a bit. He gets time on the swing and time with the animals and we sit at a bench feeding squirrels and eating lunch.

During the winter months, I'm left to exercise at home though. I just have to time it with his naps or playtime. He loves my stair stepper, watches me then wants on it himself. LOL I spent 15 minutes on that and did a 30 minute WATP video while he slept today though. Or while he's playing in the floor, I grab my hand weights and step stool and do a bit of a workout while watching a show. My motivation is that I never want to go back to the way I was, and I still want to manage to lose the last little bit I've put off for awhile, and mostly, I want to be healthy and able to keep up with my son. At 41, I need all the strength I can muster taking care of him. I can't afford to let my health go back to what it was where I was out of breath doing simple tasks.

Right now yours are too young to benefit on the eating part, but if you start the good eating habits now, they'll develop them. My son has decided he is NOT going to eat tuna salad though. Tried it on him today for the second time so far. LOL He eats what I eat mostly. He had a wheat bagel with light cream cheese and oatmeal with banana and cinamon this morning. I prefer that to having him eat what I used to...potato chips and dip, candy, cake, etc., etc.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I am a SAHM with a 3 year old and a 4 month old.

I workout early in the morning before dh goes to work and I recently joined a gym with daycare. I love my children but I have started to relish this "me" time.

The best motivation should be setting a great example for your kids. They deserve to grow up healthy and have a healthy mom. I hear too many stories of "I have to keep this junk food around for the kids" nope, they dont need it.

My daughter already talks about being a runner like mommy. I was 25 before I discovered exercise, if she can see it as a good thing now what a blessing.

As a 3 year old she is in full blown control mode with food (its where she focuses her power struggles) so it is even more crucial to have healthy meals around. She refuses to eat most of the time and then eats a TON on one day. I never know when that day will be so every meal and snack better be healthy. (Today she ate whole grain cereal with banana and milk for breakfast, grilled cheese made with whole grain bread and lowfat cheese and red peppers for lunch, whole grain crackers with hummus for snack and 1/4 of an apple for dinner (the salmon and veggies were rejected))

It is hard to get on a schedule, so make being healthy a priority. When you do get a chance to do something, make exercise the FIRST thing you do, dont put it behind laundry and dishes.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

Ahh yes, the gym. I knew I forgot to mention something. Been thinking of it myself. The Y has daycare while you workout. I'm thinking of it myself, but then I'll be getting back out running soon enough so might save it for next winter.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #5  
This is the year!

S/C/G: 235/235/160

Height: 5'8"

I am a part-time stay-at-home/work-at-home mom. I am home on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but on call for work questions and I work when my little girl (9 months old) is sleeping or playing independently, then I am in the office on Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

I weighed around 215 when I got pregnant, and was back down to my pre-pregnancy weight one month after childbirth. Now, I'm up 20 pounds again. My hormone levels were so much better when I was pregnant - now it seems they're all over the place. The shape of my body is becoming more manly, and I hate it.

I'm desperately in need of a change.
nikkimac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #6  
Getting my life back...

Thank you all so much for the help. I actually did get out of the house today for a bit and that seemed to help. When I got them both down for naps, I lifted weights and did 20 minutes on the exercise bike. I also kept my eating under control. I am currently obsessed with Lipton Green Tea and Honey Smacks - usually 3 of each every day. Today, it was only one of each and I stayed under my calories as well. I don't keep a lot of junk food around, but if I'm not busy, I'll think, what can I eat now. My darling 2 year old is at a healthy weight, and he eats reasonably well, when he chooses to eat. He refuses to taste anything, so his diet is a lot of oatmeal, scrambled eggs, cheese and an occasional turkey dog. I don't know how to encourage him to try things. Sticking it in the mouth is not the way, and I don't try to push him too much. If he's hungry, he'll eat. I've (I'm so embarrassed to admit this!) had a membership to the Y for probably 3 years, and have only been once in the last year or so. I think going would be good for him, maybe some other children to play with. I will definitely work on getting there by Monday, but I will exercise at home between now and then. I will keep you all updated on my progress, and if you have any more great tips, I'm all ears!!!

S/C/G - 237/213/150 (only 5'3" tall!)
Old 02-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #7  
Getting my life back...

almostheaven - your weight loss is awesome. How have you managed to do it?

ennay - I know exactly what you mean about the "me" time. I realize I am a much better mommy if I have a bit of time to myself. I used to feel guilty, but I'm learning to live with the guilt.

nikkimac76 - sadly, most of us know all about the hormone thing. I am much more susceptible to mood changes now than I ever have been. Eventually, they will calm back down, or some people need a little help. Is there anything I can do? I have complete faith that you will lose the weight you have gained and then some and you will feel much better. Keep on truckin'!!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

I started out by eating right, more lean meats, fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Then added exercise. I just had to keep motivating myself to exercise, still do to a point. In the beginning it was a daily struggle. Even through pregnancy, I had to make myself continue so I wouldn't grow too complacent and not get back to it after pregnancy. Besides, it's good through pregnancy anywho.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #9  
SAHM

S/C/G: 228/226/170

Height: 5'6"

I know there haven't been any posts recently but I'll post anyway.

I just recently became a SAHM and just found this great website a few days ago.

I have an 8mo son. I have PCOS and have been struggling with weight loss all my life. My mom had me on diets from around the age of 9. My bday present one year was a rowing machine. Yeah tell me about it. And she's a toothpick. Anyway...

We also just moved to a new city and new house. Everything is still in boxes. We do have a treadmill but i can't get to it because of all the boxes. We live in a pretty wooded "hilly" area so we've been trying to walk together as a family when my dh gets home. We also have a dog.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with you ladies at some point and get some advice on how to incorporate losing weight into my new role.

Good luck to everyone
maryandsilviu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #10  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Mary - I have an 8 month old DD and I also have PCOS. Unpacking is great exercise too - so start unpacking with the goal of getting to that treadmill again!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi joannagoolman!!! I am a SAHM/workAHM mother of three, although my kids are teenagers now. I used to say the same thing about staying at home and losing weight. The fridge was always at my fingertips and all those leftovers - very hard. But now I'm thinking I may have an advantage. Those women working in an office. Oh my gosh. There's always meetings and candy baskets and going out for lunch and someone's birthday and the temptation is really all around. Plus I get to make myself nutritious meals, 3X a day. I also love to "sneak" in exercise. So I'm beginning to think the advantage is swinging my way. The truth of the matter is, it's HARD to lose weight in ANY situation. As far as motivation, just take a look at those little kids of yours. THey NEED a healthy, active, productive and happy mom. I also there's a lot to say for DETERMINATION and COMMITMENT. Motivation will come and go. You've got to hold on to the other 2.

One other thing, I put myself on the back burner for soooo long. I wasn't too happy and it showed up in everything I did. Mapping out some time for myself and making my healthy a TOP priority, just like the laundry, cooking, cleaning and bathing the kids, will benefit every one and every thing around you, without a doubt. Though your health is for you first and foremost, it will absolutely have a great and positive affect on the rest of your family.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #12  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannagoolman View Post
I've (I'm so embarrassed to admit this!) had a membership to the Y for probably 3 years, and have only been once in the last year or so. I think going would be good for him, maybe some other children to play with. I will definitely work on getting there by Monday, but I will exercise at home between now and then. I will keep you all updated on my progress, and if you have any more great tips, I'm all ears!!!

S/C/G - 237/213/150 (only 5'3" tall!)

Why monday? Why not today?
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #13  
SAHM

Ready2shed - We just moved from Hinesville to Villa Rica (outside Atlanta). Small world

Jenny- that's the plan for this weekend. We moved in and my dh started working 3 days later. Then Easter. So this w/e is all about getting the house in order. The treadmill is actually my dh's. I prefer to walk outside and it's 67 and sunny today. We've been walking every other night when he get's home. He wears the baby and I take the dog. He lost and gained with me after my pg.

Good luck to everyone!!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

I completely understand where you're coming from. Do you have any neighbors or friends that may want to get out with the strollers with you? Even if it's walking around the mall, it's still walking!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #15  
SAHM

I actually went for a 3 mile walk today. I put Emil in his stroller and took the dog and went. It's pretty hilly in our area so it took me a little over an hour to do.

Of course then we went to dinner at Olive Garden (i don't even want to talk about). At least we walked around the mall for an hour after that.

Baby steps. Gotta walk before you can run.

As for the neighborhood, we've only been here a couple of weeks so I have yet to find any other SAHM. The people on my cul-de-sac are retired or have school age kids and the parents work.

Hopefully I'll find some soon.