Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default My treadmill versus FitDay

I have a question. I walk for 30 minutes on my treadmill at 2 MPH and my treadmill's digital display shows that I have burned 149 calories by the end of my session. However, when I put this in FitDay, it shows I have only burned 59 calories (well, at least the only thing I can find that comes close to describing it from their list). Do you think I need to add the activity myself and do it according to the treadmill, or is FitDay more accurate? Also, the description says "slow pace" within it, but I don't consider what I do on the treadmill a "slow" pace.

Any advice or tips on this? Thanks!!

**You can view my FitDay (link on the left) and see if you can see anything that I may be missing.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Neither one is going to be 100% accurate. I believe the fitday one uses generalizations like everybody doing the same exercise burns the same calories when that is not necessarily true. If you weigh more, you are carrying more weight and burning more calories than a thin person doing the same exercise. The treadmill is similar because you usually don't have a way to put in your weight. I would probably err on the side of caution and use a number in between, or use a different calculator. This list gives you calories burned based on different weights--you might check it out. http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #3  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Thanks, Allison! I appreciate your reply and that link!!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi Ritzy,
. I just looked this up in my Thin for Life book, it says a 250 lb. person burns 58 calories every 10 min's when walking at 2 miles an hr. So , that may be what Fitday is basing on /each 10 min's of activity. So you are burning 178 calories every 30 min's.

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-07-2007 at 03:51 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Thanks, lilybelle. I was thinking it was too low too, but then I thought maybe I was over-shooting my expectations and just "wanting" it to be more! LOL! No...my treadmill doesn't allow the weight to be entered; it only gives MPH, cal/fat cal burned, minutes, and distance. I just don't know how to put it in FitDay to reflect what I really did versus what they have in their list. Anyone know? Thanks a million!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #6  
lilybelle

See my revised post, I think it explains it. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #7  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
Hi Ritzy,
. I just looked this up in my Thin for Life book, it says a 250 lb. person burns 58 calories every 10 min's when walking at 2 miles an hr. So , that may be what Fitday is basing on /each 10 min's of activity. So you are burning 178 calories every 30 min's.
Oh, cool!! Thanks so much!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #8  
lilybelle

You are welcome and WTG on the exercise.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #9  

I use the bodybugg calorie counter (an arm band you where with five sensors on it that tracks your calorie expenditure within 92% accuracy) to track my calories every day. It's a really neat program (but expensive at $500 for the arm band and a monthly fee for the website subscription) and I'm pretty confident that it is fairly accurate. I used to think that what I was seeing on the readouts for my workout equipment was accurate and came to found out that in most cases that was far from the truth. However, in your case, I would say that the 149 calorie readout is much more accurate than the 59 calorie one (Lord, would any of us EVER workout if that's all we burned??!!??!). I weight about 240 pounds and recently brought in the groceries from the car and put them away. That was about 30 minutes and my program says I burned about 78 calories in that time. A steady walking pace would, obviously, get you more then that so between 150 and 180 sounds about right...probably, unfortunately, closer to the 150 range!

Good job on the workout...that's more then I've done today! Ugh..
avsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote