Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Core Chat for Feb. 5-11, 2007

Good morning again! I'm at work now, getting ready for a GREAT day! I just had my oatmeal and milk, and a Diet Sunkist in the car on the way here so I have a full tummy.

And guess what? The scale said 139.6 this morning! Now who knows if it'll be that on Thursday but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I got a different kind of cottage cheese yesterday than I ordinarily get. Most of the time I buy Schepps or Lucerne, but yesterday I got Bordens. I licked the spoon this morning while putting some in a cup to bring, and it was GROSS! I'm used to a larger curd and this is very very teeny curd, almost like ricotta. I had to look at the container again to make sure it really WAS cottage cheese. I'm either going to put it in the food processor and make something else with it, like jello or one of those other dessert-type things, or ditch it altogether. I'll gag thru it today but that's it. Any suggestions on what I could do with it after it's processed? I've heard adding pumpkin is very good but I'm wondering if it would make so much that I'd never eat it all? Oh well.

Happy Monday!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 10"

Morning all.

Kathy, try making a dip for veggies out of it. I was making dip last week with FF sour cream and didn't have enough. I added the rest of our cottage cheese and it came out very good. I do understand the big curd vs. small curd -- the small is just not the same.

Well, today is a new day and a new week. I'm still very motivated - the scale is about the same, but I am feeling a difference in my clothes. That is a big motivator for me. I am wearing a pair of slacks that I had the waist pinned. A few months back I took out the pins and they were fine - at the time I didn't understand why they were pinned. Well, I do know today - those 4 or so pds made a difference. They are sitting a bit low on my hips, hmm, could use some pins!

I met the mom who will be taking Sarah on Wednesday for her play date. I know this family from somewhere - I need to check our chruch bulliten. Very nice couple. Sarah will have a ball there on Wednesday. As it was I planned on stopping by for 10 minutes just to check them out. Well, almost an hour later we left. This woman is a stay at home mom and knows everything going on in the preschool - whats going on with all the kids in the class, whats going on with all the teachers ect... At first I was thinking that some how I should be more up on this. But the more I thought about it -- I have way too much going on in my life to worry about what is going on in all these families lives....Lets just say we are different people! And after all, this is just preschool.

Other than that it was a quiet weekend - very cold. This week its not supposed to get much higher than 20 all week. So, when does this early spring start?? (read the groundhog did not see his shadow!).

Off to post my menu. BBL.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks. It's always something around here. I felt horrible yesterday...very tight bronchial tubes....so I went to urgent care. Doc took an xray and CBC since my Internist had not done either. He gave me an inhaler. I guess I don't have asthma but bronchitis. Urgent Care Doc went nuts over the fact that I had two rounds of antibiotics and no chest xray or bloodwork. I have to try to make an appointment with Internist today or tomorrow. They also found something of concern on my xray and Urgent Care Doc says I need to go to a Cardio Thorasic Surgeon. Grrrr...don't tell a worry wart like me something like that. He says it isn't life threatening but I need a CT scan and an evaluation. I always thought I'd have to pay the price for being obese all my life. Well thanks. How about my chest? Sigh. Meanwhile, at least I'm not feeling very hungry.

So I'm going to be selfish and self-absorbed for a while more. I won't be posting for a while longer. I'll let you know what's going on as I find out things.

So keep working at it girls. It's important. Forget the vanity. It's important for your health.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning:

I'm back from New Mexico. It was a trip to take the next step in distributing my late sister's jewellery and other items. It went well; I have a very loving niece and nephew.

I have read last week's postings, and I particularly note the one from Vickie this morning: it's about your health. I was thinking a lot about that while I was away. The women in my family have tended to gain a lot of weight in middle age, and that certainly was a factor in my sister's too- early death.

It's ridiculously cold here: about 5 F. I had window seats going to Albuquerque and coming back. The countyside was completely snow covered. I've never seen it like that, and I've taken trips in the winter before.

I have a long first day back at work. I'll check back in tonight.

Kathy, I could never handle cottage cheese, no matter what the curd. Only recently have I been able to eat it, if I can disguise it. Which is good because it is such a good source of meatless protein.

Have a great day everyone.

Rhonda
Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #5  

Welcome back, Rhonda! We sure did miss you!

Vickie, take care of yourself. I know what you mean about the health aspect. At first, it doesn't seem like such a big deal (like whose business is it if I'm overweight -- it's MY body!) but when you start paying the price, it sure makes you think! I know my parents both wish they had been more active and taken better care of themselves in their 40s-50s-60s. They're paying for it now with joint problems, heart issues, and high everything. I also have several friends who are much younger but have the same issues. They've been specifically told that their heart problems stemmed from it having to work too hard to carry their weight. It's scary! Anyway, keep us posted if you can.

My coworker is out today with her umpteeth cold of the season. She has allergies but won't listen to me -- gets a headache with the allergies but doesn't tell the doctor, so they send her to a neurologist who "diagnoses" migraines. Problem is, none of the migraine medicine works and they keep changing the medicine or dosages. She refuses to tell them that everytime she gets the headaches, she also has a big allergy flare-up. I'm sure they would do tests, find out what she's allergic to, treat THAT, and the headaches would be controlled. However ...

Paula, don't let your pants fall off today! It sounds like Sarah's day will be very good with the playmate and you're right about the mom. Some personality types just have to know everything about everybody. It's not a bad thing, but I sure don't have time to run my own life, let alone worry about everybody else!

Back to work I go ...
Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #6  

Morning all.

Vickie, my mom has discovered the same thing. After she finally decided it was time to lose the weight, she said she had an epiphany...There WILL be a lifestyle change in my life, one way or another. Either I do nothing and watch my health and mobility decline, or I change my habits now and start eating right and exercising. You can't coast along forever with no consequences. She was telling my sister and I that it was SOOO important to keep our weight healthy now, while we're young, so we don't have to struggle with being overweight in our 50's, when it's so much harder to lose.

I hope you manage to recover quickly from your bronchitis, and that your CT scan comes out clean.

So 2 weeks ago, my middle dd started off this illness-fest with a high fever. Lo and behold, it's back! Sigh. This winter is really starting to grate on me, what with the constant sickness and sub-zero temperatures. We have a 2-hour school delay this morning, because it's -10 degrees and they can't get the buses started.

Later,
Angela
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #7  

Good afternoon ladies, boy it is cold here too 11 degrees and very windy, with the wind chill it is -9 degrees. I had to run out this morning for a PTA meeting, and being class mother I have to attend them. I prefer when they have the meetings in the evening so I can keep dd home with dh, she was very bored and antsy, can't say I blame her. I am so far behind on my housework today, need to get moving because my kiddies both have playdates after school and the mom has never been to my house so I want it neat & clean.

I will catch up on posts when my duties are done
Old 02-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #8  
focused and aiming

hi, girls. we got home last night but i was too sick to get on here. i'm not normally sick but i guess i caught a local bug or something. i'm still in my robe today.

we had a good trip to butte. the roads were clear but it was soooo cold saturday. sunday was warmer. curtis was able to shoot and shot well. i was so happy for him. i shot all right and won my division. now we're ready to start training for salt lake. (when i get well.)

vicki, i'm worried about you. you do what the doctor's say. i understand you're not wanting to post much right now, but i am so glad you'll be keeping us informed about your health.

angela, i'm sorry ya'll are still passing around that bug. i can relate. i hope everyone here gets better soon.

sorry this is short. i am going to lie down.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kathy, I got your card today in the mail. You are just a very sweet person to have thought of me like that. What an amazing feeling it was to get such a nice card telling me how strong I am on a day when I REALLY need to be a big strong girlie. Thank you so much from the bottom of what I hope is my very healthy heart!

Sandra, I hope you feel better soon. It is SO unlike you to be sick.

After crying in my Internist's office, he got me an appointment for tonight with the Cardiologist. So I'll be leaving here in a little while for that appointment. I have no idea what he will say or recommend.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

P.S. Kathy, I'm also going to an allergist because Jim and I suspect that my problems are not my heart but rather Allergies. I'd much rather find out what they are and deal with them then to continue to live with or medicate the symptoms. I get in trouble because I tell my doctors everything. Jim says thats how I ended up at the Cardiologist because I kept being honest about my chest discomfort. Oh well....it does no good to lie now does it?!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #11  

Evening chicks, Im still hanging around. I think I shivered off some pounds this weekend..we are in a DEEP FREEZE! and I mean deep. This morning was -40degrees. Poor dh has to work tonight and its outside in a big truck. I sure hope he dosnt have to open his door too often. Schools were delayedall over. I still had a couple of families come to the center. Tough little guys thats for sure. Yesterday was tough,, not because of superbowl either, just a munchy day. It was all good food but way too much of it. Right back on track again today. Did my WATPs dvds all weekend yeah..

Vickie, lets hope its nothing..you deserve a break for a change. ((hugs))

Kathy good going on the 139 this morning, now dont be weighing yourself tonight..haha

Angela, my mom would say its time to open the windows and change the air in the house..(I would really do that too after everyone would get sick)

congrats on the win Sandra,

Paula I dont blame you for not getting involved,,some people just seem to need that control dont they>

Rhonda my brothers heart surgery made me open my eyes too...I guess some of us need that *kick* in the *&# to get the picture,,unfortunatly.

Have a good night everyone
Old 02-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #12  

Oh just saw your post Vickie, Im glad you got in tonight....please let us know asap what he says!!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #13  

Vickie, I'm SOOOOO glad you got in tonight! I understand what you mean about telling everything. I'd rather err on the side of caution though, because I believe they know what they're doing. At least, more than I do -- so I listen. I hope you can come back tonight and let us know something.

You know I think allergies mimic a whole lot of other conditions and, if untreated, can create all sorts of havoc. Fortunately I guess it's relatively easy to control if you know what you're dealing with.

Coworker came in mid-afternoon and didn't seem too germy, so I was glad to have her. It gets boring by myself, but she had it much worse than that when I was out for 7 weeks with the ankle. I don't think I could have stood it.

Stay warm! (Oh and Patti -- too late. I hopped on right before I took my bath. )
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #14  
focused and aiming

vickie, i'm soooo glad you are able to get in tonight to see the cardiologist. please let us know what you find out. curtis always tells me to tell the doctor everything because they can't read our minds. i'm glad you're very open with yours.

patti, that's deadly cold. be careful. i hope dh is all right.

angela, i'd air out the house, too, asap.

i'm better now. i have been going stir crazy staying inside all day. of course, i didn't go to w a today. tomorrow i hope to be back to normal.

kathy, there's one person in the archery center office. i feel for her. she seems to be able to call her own hours, though. i guess that's a plus.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Just checking in to say good night. Today was "so so." Tomorrow will be better.

Vickie...let us know what's happening. I have taught medical students since 1978. I consider myself a bit knowledgeable about Dr-patient interactions. It's much better to talk their ears off than to make them guess. They are normally in such a hurry that they don't ask all the right questions, so almost all information is important. It helps them if patients come with a list of complaints/symptoms/problems so that they don't have to ask "what about this?" "what about that?"

I've got another early morning meeting, so, I'll be back later tomorrow.

Rhonda

It's 12 F and the wind is blowing. I don't know what the wind chill factor is, but it's cold outside that's for sure.
Closed Thread